From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of SCMenasian <scm@menasians.com>
Sent: Friday, March 5, 2021 10:56 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Replacing Variable Vertical Attenuator Shaft

Several years ago, I had some fiberglass rod in my junk collection. I think it was a part of a fishing rod. I used it for just this sort of thing and I think the diameter was close to 1/8". Also, if Amazon has delrin, I would prefer it to nylon.

SCMenasian

Several years ago, I had some fiberglass rod in my junk collection. I think it was a part of a fishing rod. I used it for just this sort of thing and I think the diameter was close to 1/8". Also, if Amazon has delrin, I would prefer it to nylon.

John Bennett

Dick,
I don't have advice for 485 access, but I found that 1/8" Nylon 6/6 Round Rod (available in 5' lengths from Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070ZEW7K) did the trick for replacing the shaft (in a 2465B). I used 7/16" OD tygon tubing drilled and tapped for set screws as my coupler.
John, AE0AM

stevenhorii

Dick,

I parted out some 7000-series plug-ins that were not repairable. I believe
I have some of those G-10 rods. They connect to pots via a coupler with two
set screws. If that rod is what you need, let me look at what I have and
I’d be glad to send you one. If they are longer than 7”, it would be simple
to cut it to length.

You can contact me off list if you wish or reply here. My e-mail is:
sonodocsch at gmail dot com.

Steve Horii

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 20:47 Dick <w1ksz@outlook.com> wrote:

The shaft is a piece of G-10 rod that's about 7" long. It goes
from the Front panel to a bushing buried in the Vertical Amplifier.

I thought I would ask before I butcher the job.

I am located in Vail, Arizona. About 20m SSE of Tucson.

73, Dick, W1KSZ