Update (was RE: [TekScopes] TDS510 or TDS460A or 485 scopes as upgrade)

Giuseppe Marullo

To avoid any possible mistake I bought the 2465b with frequency and TV trigger option(picked up locally) AND the 485(to be shipped next week)!

There is also a 468 in claimed good shape for like 110 bucks with a probe, thinking I am already become a tekscophile...

Now, I have other questions of course.
- how to clean the front panel? Nothing bad, I could leave as is but wondering if there is any recommendation.

-Which is the weapon of choice in terms of probes with each of these two(2465E and 485)?
- P6138?
- P6053?
- What would you recommend for each and what could be a decent low cost substitute probe (and how/if to deal with the "special" BNC sense for attenuation?

I would also need a probe to measure 900-1100VDC, do you know any cheap/chinese probe you do recommend? I don't plan to use it often it is just to check the anodic voltage of my FT-102s transceivers.

Thanks.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45R>

toby@...

On 2021-02-21 8:41 a.m., Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
To avoid any possible mistake I bought the 2465b with frequency and TV trigger option(picked up locally) AND the 485(to be shipped next week)!

There is also a 468 in claimed good shape for like 110 bucks with a probe, thinking I am already become a tekscophile...

Now, I have other questions of course.
- how to clean the front panel? Nothing bad, I could leave as is but wondering if there is any recommendation.
On the 4xx scopes never use IPA as it will take the lettering off the
buttons.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 03:30 PM, <toby@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On the 4xx scopes never use IPA as it will take the lettering off the
buttons.
...Nor use (anything containing) water! I usually take some butter(!). Works very well!

Raymond

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 03:41 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

On the 4xx scopes never use IPA as it will take the lettering off the
buttons.
...Nor use (anything containing) water! I usually take some butter(!). Works
very well!
Applies to the plastic buttons only...

Raymond

Tom Lee

Thanks for that suggestion, Raymond. I've never tried that before. I wonder what other foods might be useful in restoring equipment...

-- Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:13 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

I wonder what other foods might be useful in restoring equipment...
Do you think cooking my wife's favorite meal in exchange for extra time to spend on restorations would count?

Raymond

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:13 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

I've never tried that before.
Applied by using a finger, which makes the butter very soft. Since most dirt stuck on the front of these buttons is greasy, it works very well and preserves the text.

Raymond

Renée

maybe, maybe not- mood dependent! you should just do that anyway for no reason on occasion!.....however.....olive oil ( in fact most of vegetable oils)  are also good for removing labels, crisco as a lube at times (worked as grease in a bearing assembly in cold unit for years)  ...bad news it does/may go rancid depending on conditions.....as always test before use...
Renée

On 2/21/21 1:47 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:13 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

I wonder what other foods might be useful in restoring equipment...
Do you think cooking my wife's favorite meal in exchange for extra time to spend on restorations would count?

Raymond

.

Giuseppe Marullo

Raymond and Toby,

Wow.
...Nor use (anything containing) water! I usually take some butter(!).
I only have Danish butter (mildly salted). I will have to revert to Italian butter, less conductive? LOL

You learn something new every day.

On the 4xx scopes never use IPA as it will take the lettering off the buttons.
I was not thinking about IPA but thanks nevertheless, the 485 I got has some discoloration already (nothing big) but good to know.

David Holland

I'd *guess* lanolin (Gojo - pumice free variety) would work well too...
(Obviously, I've not tried it... Don't own any 400 series devices.)

David