Rather than a TM500 module extender....

I just want to mention again that all the issues raised with regard to module extenders are important,
and no matter which route you go, the result is always a bit sub-optimal, and awkward on the bench

The magic answer is just to take a TM502A apart, removing the blue outer shell. What's left is a compact dual connector power supply (complete with power switch + line connector), and total access to the module under test. This is the simplest, easiest, and most trouble free way to work on a TM500 plug in, and takes up the least possible bench space. I highly recommend this path over all others. A similar trick is possible with a TM5003 for the TM5000 modules, but it's certainly bigger.

I should point out that I did not move to this approach until long after I already had many extenders, and it's only this specific frame that yields such good results. In any case, it is a magical fix, full of test bench happiness.

Test plug-ins to validate the frame are still needed, and you may still want to extend a plug in from a specific frame, so that's the best case for an extender.

All the best,
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)

Tim Phillips

From Tim P (UK)
Yes, I discovered this trick when I removed the four screws in the base of
aTM502A, and the entire PSU slid out and landed in my lap !
Someone on this group published a photo of a setup using a small board to
'chock' the plug-in, and a couple of the guide rails to ensure a good
contact with the board connector.
Tim

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 21:36, walter shawlee <walter2@sphere.bc.ca> wrote:

[...]

Dave Wright

Yes, I have an OCP5002 that may or may not come back to life. It lives in a TM5003 frame that will make a nice tester if I can't get the oven control of the the OCP working again...

Dave KC6UPS

Ed (SCSKITS)

I agree with Walter, the TM502 power supply block is ideal for both single width and double width plug ins.
I switched over to the TM502 after blowing up a DC502 with an improperly inserted test cable.
Ed