TDS510 or TDS460A or 485 scopes as upgrade

Giuseppe Marullo

485 if still available is about 220-40USD (local pickup).
I usually wait for a unit with an issue at a lower price but the reason I get them is I like the puzzle of the debug so it may or may not work for you. I paid $60 for a unit with a power supply short, later it turned out it had dirty switches and a bad >>timebase capacitor.
Honorable intentions but I am past that, I am even past the drawer syndrome where you buy a new just released MCU and by the time you decide finally to use it, it has been superseded by another one or two generations.
I need something "reliable" in a sense that, despite old, comes in my hands working. If and when it will break, then it will become "another interesting project", and the debug/swap board fest will begin. For example I have a HP8640B in this situation, spare parts available but it's there waiting since three years ago.

This one seems okay, sold by an ham. If I will be able to lower the price a bit, it could be a nice addition to a Rigol that can't show much at higher frequencies. Cursors are nice, but as you know Rigol does way many measures that sometimes you have to wonder how much screen is left for the waveform. A clean screen could be even relaxing, in the end not so much money if it works. I see it has a respectable size, but there is always room as soon as the wife is distracted.

My comment above applies, you may want to wait for the right unit these prices seem too high for just a hobby unit.
I understand, but keep in mind that availability of units in Italy and in EU is just a fraction of what is available in US for example. Shipping charges/Freight, customs and *Fantastic* Ebay Global shipping program adds up to the costs considerably so what is available in EU could be sold higher.

How to tell 2465b from a pimped/fake 2445b?
There was a message chain in eevblog about it (you can search "fake 2465B"). I don't remember the details.
Thanks!

Since there is no ADC you can't read back the signal or take a screen shot from GPIB.
Okay, I was expecting it but I asked just to be sure.

At the moment, the 485 may fit the bill, else I will start looking for cheaper 2265b/2267b.

Thanks, I will post any progress here.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

Ozan

485 if still available is about 220-40USD (local pickup).
I usually wait for a unit with an issue at a lower price but the reason I get them is I like the puzzle of the debug so it may or may not work for you. I paid $60 for a unit with a power supply short, later it turned out it had dirty switches and a bad timebase capacitor.

2465b is about 600+ usd shipped (out of my budget but I may decide to spend
this money).
2467b is over 800 (honestly out of my budget)
My comment above applies, you may want to wait for the right unit these prices seem too high for just a hobby unit.

How to tell 2465b from a pimped/fake 2445b?
There was a message chain in eevblog about it (you can search "fake 2465B"). I don't remember the details.

Another question, with 2465b would it be possible to have a screenshot through
HPIB? I had a quick look at the commands and seems not.
Since there is no ADC you can't read back the signal or take a screen shot from GPIB.

Ozan

Giuseppe Marullo

Ok,
Many thanks Jeff and Ozan.

485 if still available is about 220-40USD (local pickup).
2465b is about 600+ usd shipped (out of my budget but I may decide to spend this money).

2467b is over 800 (honestly out of my budget)

Also, you are less likely to run into a counterfeit (maybe I'm just paranoid about that now, but the fact there are people out there mangling 2445Bs to rebadge them as 2465Bs makes me very wary).
How to tell 2465b from a pimped/fake 2445b?

Another question, with 2465b would it be possible to have a screenshot through HPIB? I had a quick look at the commands and seems not.
TIA.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

I'll throw in my recommendation for the 2465 (no A, no B), especially if you can get one with the counter/timer option. It's lower bandwidth than the A or B models, but it has direct physical controls, rather than rotary encoders, and it doesn't have a (now likely dead) battery backing up it's NVRAM.

Also, you are less likely to run into a counterfeit (maybe I'm just paranoid about that now, but the fact there are people out there mangling 2445Bs to rebadge them as 2465Bs makes me very wary).

I've been lusting after a 485 for a while, but my bench is already groaning under the weight of 40 year old scopes, and I've got enough to worry about keeping a 475 working.

I will leave it to others to sing the praises of a 7000 series mainframe.

-- Jeff Dutky

Ozan

Hi Giuseppe,
I am sure you will get many opinions but here is the opinion from someone who owns a 1054Z, few analog Teks, and few TDS class Teks. TDS510 and TDS460 bandwidths only give you the advantage for repetitive signals otherwise ADC sampling rate is not fast enough to capture at the BW of the scope (usually you need to stay below sampling_rate/2.5). In summary I don't think TDS460 (even TDS510) would give anything over 1054Z. They have much better user interface than 1054Z but lack several good features like Ethernet/USB/Logic decode.

I own a 485 and it is a great scope. If you can get one cheaply 2465B and 2467B would be even better. Note that 485 doesn't have cursors (need to read from graticules), 2465B/2467B have cursors. Although 485 is older it competes nicely with my 2467B, I like them both.

I am sure there will be others trying to convince you to 7000 series analog scopes, they look interesting if you have the space.
Ozan

Giuseppe Marullo

Hi all,
just joined.

Owner of a Rigol 1054z, satisfied user for what I am currently doing (especially for the price!) .

Being a 50/100MHz with 1Gs/s bw scope, I wanted to explore other options to increase visibility of higher frequencies, and glitches.

Would a TDS510 or TDS460A be a big improvement?

I don't understand if they are also a higher analog bandwidth/analog scope or it is just the sampling that makes them display higher frequencies (periodic waveforms?). They can reach greater vertical resolution if I understand correctly.

Or should I stick to old good 350MHz like Tektronix 485 (just analog)?

I am not interested in digitizing the waveform, even though a GPIB dump of the screen would be nice (but for lower frequencies the 1054z does it nicely).

Budget is tight, not for professional use, second hand offering in EU is limited compared to US.

Thanks in advance.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ