3d printable front cover for 2465B

Mark Hatch

I designed a basic front cover for the Tek2465B to protect it while shipping and to allow me to stand the device on its nose to remove the cover and work on it.

You can view/download it here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4746764

It requires a bigger 3d Printer to print (i.e. no Ender 3's). Even with my CR-10, I had to stand it upright to print.

I have only printed one of these, and it "fits" my scope (late model 2465B) with a little sanding and filing. I have included the Fusion 360 files so that you can modify it if you like. Given it is likely to be printed vertically, the design really begs for some breakaway supports to be designed into the model. Using the builtin "tree support" of Cura required more post processing than I would have liked. Perhaps there is an expert that will under take this challenge. :-)

I have no idea whether it will fit other 2465 models.

Mark

Bert Haskins

On 2/2/2021 10:45 AM, Mark Hatch wrote:
[...]

If you will pardon my asking, what is the materials cost for something like this?

The reason I'm asking is that I often do special instrumentation projects and they always work fine but I'm seldom happy with the way they look.

I would really like a good excuse to buy a 3-D printer.

Thanks.

  Bert

Mark Hatch

Bert,

It took a half spool of PETG. I purchased the spool at amazon for ~$23, so material cost would be in the range of $12 (was electricity). It took 2.5 days to print!

The real cost here was my time trying to get the design exactly right on Fusion 360 so that the cover would "snap" in place like the original. Figured I must have put 15-20 hours into that!

If you are making something for your own project, then it is quicker because the number of contraints are much less so fewer test prints.

Just be aware that 3d printers are a hobby and a half... Unless you pay the big bucks for something above $1k, you will always be tweaking and playing with it. Sort of like a teenager from the 50's and their Chevy (or Ford ;-) )

Regards,

Mark