7L14 YIG

Mike McCauley <mikem@...>

Hi All,

Ive got a used 7L14 Spectrum Analyser plugin with 1 remaining serious problem.

The 1st local oscillator in that unit is a YIG (Yttrium Iron Garnet
oscillator) that generates the 2-4GHz for the inital mixing. On my one it
seems to have failed.

My one seems not to be producing any output at all, and it looks like its
been mucked around with (removed and replaced in a half-hearted fashion).

The YIG module is a sealed steel can and appears not to be serviceable. It
was originally made by Avantek.
I havent been able to raise a replacement YIG here in Australia, and I dont
really want to buy a whole new (second-hand) unit.

Any ideas for sourcing a YIG or a faulty 7L14 with an OK YIG for reasonable
money?

Cheers

John Miles <jmiles@...>

Make sure your YIG is being biased properly, or it won't have any output.
These things are usually rated around 20 MHz per mA of tuning current, and
until you have 2 GHz worth of "current" flowing into the tuning coil (100
mA), they won't oscillate at all.

Check to make sure you have 12-15V at the supply terminal and at least 100
mA of current flowing through the tuning coil before giving up.

If the YIG is bad, you can probably substitute just about any 2-4 GHz YIG
with little or no trouble. Most of them put out plenty of power to drive
the mixer, and 2 GHz and 20 MHz/mA are very common parameters. The
instrument can probably be recalibrated or modified to accommodate other
tuning rates.

-- jm

Ive got a used 7L14 Spectrum Analyser plugin with 1 remaining serious
problem.

The 1st local oscillator in that unit is a YIG (Yttrium Iron Garnet
oscillator) that generates the 2-4GHz for the inital mixing. On my one it
seems to have failed.

Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Hi Mike,

Have you tried Deane Kidd <dektyr@teleport.com> for a replacement YIG?