Topics

7A12 push button, relay switched, dual vert plug-in ?

Bill Perkins

I lately came across this piece:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7A12

and while the lighted push buttons are attractive as can be and I can live the max 5mV/div sensitivity for day-to-day work, I wonder if these suffered from 'Tek's relay palsy', lets call it.

Comments ?

Bill @ PEARL, Inc.

Roger Evans

Just looking at the pictures of the attenuator board in the manual, the relays appear to be from the same series that have been problematic in other 7k plugins. I don't know if some contact arrangements or coil voltages are more prone to failure than others. If the 7A12 offered for sale is 100% working and you have another vertical plugin that works reliably to trouble shoot any problems then only you can decide if you want to take the chance of future reliability issues. If it were me, I would be heavily biassed by the asking price!

Regards,

Roger

Bill Perkins

The 7A12s I'm considering go for about $US35.00 and I have several known good 7A26s so I'm good. Thx>

Regards,
Roger

Dave Seiter

When I saw the 7A12, I didn't recognize it right away, but after a look at my master list, I (re)discovered that I have one.  According to notes, I did a cal in late 2007, and it worked great except for some flakiness on channel 1.  I suspect that was caused by the relays, but I never went back to address it.
-Dave