Fabricating "blank" TM500 Modules

Roy Thistle

Hi All:
I started this topic, to see if we are interested in coming up with way(s) to satisfactorily construct "blank" TM500 modules, for custom plug-ins.
What ways and satisfactory mean will have to be teased out in the thread, if one develops.
I note, Walter has posted a suggestion for a construction, in another topic.
That might serve as a starting point.
Best wishes.
Roy

Jared Cabot

My 3D model for the mainframe tester project has a reasonably accurate representation of the aluminium extrusion.
I'll modify it to make it easy to 3D print and assemble sometime this week.

tedbmoss@...

I am interested in modifying TM500 to use GPIB. So this is interesting.

Vince Vielhaber

On 01/19/2021 06:46 PM, Jared Cabot via groups.io wrote:
My 3D model for the mainframe tester project has a reasonably accurate representation of the aluminium extrusion.
I'll modify it to make it easy to 3D print and assemble sometime this week.
Or someone with a mill and some aluminum should be able to make the top and bottom easy enough. If you do it that way, you can use an edge connector from a video game extender. Someone on ebay was selling just the board, maybe still is selling them. I bought a few and used one to make an extender with ribbon cable.

From there it's just the front panel and I've done that with a piece of aluminum as well. I have a mill, just never thought about making the top and bottom pieces.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Vince Vielhaber

On 01/20/2021 01:25 PM, tedbmoss@cox.net wrote:
I am interested in modifying TM500 to use GPIB. So this is interesting.
Why not just get a TM5000 ? They can often be found for around the same price as a TM500.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

tedbmoss@...

Also NFM Youtube channel shows a tester build that looks good.

Michael W. Lynch

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM, <tedbmoss@cox.net> wrote:

Also NFM Youtube channel shows a tester build that looks good.
That is Jared Cabot's work. That is the project that has been in motion recently. There are a good sized group of members building this as soon as parts and boards arrive.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Jean-Paul

Bonsoir à tous

Reading this thread I realized that it have a box of the TM500 blank modules and toolboxes, some in unused conditions and few with damaged corners or covers.

Like to find a swap for certain 7000 or TM500 plugins I am seeking.

The Modules are in USA, can send photos.
For EU readers I can carry them in the Spring.

Please contact me via PM.

Bon journée

Jon

tedbmoss@...

Could anyone point me in the direction of buying a TM5006 and 5006 series modules for the same price as the TM506?

There is usually no swap meet/eBay premium for TM5003 and 5006 mainframes over the TM500 equivalents. They are an additional 1RU high, so if rack space is a consideration, go with the TM506. GPIB is nice, but the old 4041 controllers use a tape drive and no one seems to have a good tape.

Harvey White

If you want GPIB control, then you need TM5000.

If you want some of the functions that aren't available in the TM500 series, then you need TM5000.

If you don't need either, the go for TM500.

Perhaps a mixture of both?

Harvey