CRT book by Keller

John Griessen

The coketron, a CRT made from a coke bottle, made me smile her in Albuquerque...
--
John Griessen -- building lab gear for biologists

Glydeck

I had to get my copy of the book and check it out. On Page 24...

"To illustrate the extremes in materials that have been used for CRT envelopes, almost every CRT lab has at one time or another fabricated a "Coketron" made from that one glass envelope that always seemed to be present in any lab, the Coca-Cola™ bottle. A little phosphor settled in the bottom and an electron gun sealed to the neck results in an operable CRT that never ceases to amuse lab visitors."

On Jan 13, 2021, at 1:19 PM, John Griessen <john@ecosensory.com> wrote:

The coketron, a CRT made from a coke bottle, made me smile her in
Albuquerque...
--
John Griessen -- building lab gear for biologists

Roy Thistle

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 05:49 PM, Glydeck wrote:

check it out
There is a bad photo of Peter's artifact... and as Peter claims... '... results in an operable CRT..." [pg. 24]
But given that it was "operable," what did it do?
Peter doesn't say?

Tom Lee

Your question baffles me, Roy. If someone were to hand you a non-Coke bottle crt, would you ask, "Yeah, but what does it do?"

It's a crt. Made out of a Coke bottle, yes, but a crt nonetheless.

Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 1/14/2021 12:09, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 05:49 PM, Glydeck wrote:

check it out
There is a bad photo of Peter's artifact... and as Peter claims... '... results in an operable CRT..." [pg. 24]
But given that it was "operable," what did it do?
Peter doesn't say?

Tom,

I actually have the same question as Roy.

There are "CRTs" that merely illuminate the entire face of the tube, and others that have some limited amount of control over the illumination (e.g. the 6E5 tuning eye, or DM160 "Magic-Eye" indicator tubes). It is not clear from the description that the "coketron" was able to scan the beam, or whether it merely caused the end of the tube to illuminate like these Russian ILD3-K tubes (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ILD3-K-P590-ULTRARARE-VINTAGE-CRT-VFD-INDICATOR-TUBE-for-DIY-and-education/112031678404).

My copy of Peter Keller's book has not arrived, so I am speaking from a certain depth of ignorance.

-- Jeff Dutky

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Originally, the cathode ray tube, was a device to project
"cathode rays" at a phosphor screen... possibly with some
object (Maltese Cross) in between.

As I understand the description of the Coketron, it has something
like one of the ubiquitous 5UP1 gun assemblies in the neck, and
no internal deflection plates.

So, you should be able to focus the beam, and with a magnet do
experiments with magnetic deflection of said beam.

-Chuck Harris

Jeff Dutky wrote:

Tom,

I actually have the same question as Roy.

There are "CRTs" that merely illuminate the entire face of the tube, and others that have some limited amount of control over the illumination (e.g. the 6E5 tuning eye, or DM160 "Magic-Eye" indicator tubes). It is not clear from the description that the "coketron" was able to scan the beam, or whether it merely caused the end of the tube to illuminate like these Russian ILD3-K tubes (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ILD3-K-P590-ULTRARARE-VINTAGE-CRT-VFD-INDICATOR-TUBE-for-DIY-and-education/112031678404).

My copy of Peter Keller's book has not arrived, so I am speaking from a certain depth of ignorance.

-- Jeff Dutky

Chuck,

That's what I figured. The neck of a Coke bottle is pretty narrow to get much of a mechanism through.

-- Jef Dutky

Tom Lee

The Coketron actually has no components inside the Coke bottle. It takes what I believe is a 1EP1, sans screen, and mates it to a Coke bottle. It actually has deflection plates (at least, that’s what I recall from visiting Vintagetek, where they have one on display), so it has all the guts of an electrostatically deflected scope crt.

I never saw one light up, though.

—Cheers,
Tom

Sent from my iThing, so please forgive typos and brevity.

On Jan 14, 2021, at 3:47 PM, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Chuck,

That's what I figured. The neck of a Coke bottle is pretty narrow to get much of a mechanism through.

-- Jef Dutky

n4buq

Maybe a dumb question, but did they pull a vacuum on the coke bottle?

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

The Coketron actually has no components inside the Coke bottle. It takes what
I believe is a 1EP1, sans screen, and mates it to a Coke bottle. It actually
has deflection plates (at least, that’s what I recall from visiting
Vintagetek, where they have one on display), so it has all the guts of an
electrostatically deflected scope crt.
I never saw one light up, though.
—Cheers,
Tom
Sent from my iThing, so please forgive typos and brevity.
On Jan 14, 2021, at 3:47 PM, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Chuck,

That's what I figured. The neck of a Coke bottle is pretty narrow to get
much of a mechanism through.

-- Jef Dutky

Tom Lee

Not a dumb question at all! These were (supposed to be) working crts, so they pulled a vacuum. In the picture in Pete's book, though, there's no visible close-off nipple. I also don't see a getter, so the cathode didn't have a long life. But I would still want one (lit up and showing a trace, of course).

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

If someone were to hand you a non-Coke bottle crt, would you ask, "Yeah, but what does it do?"
No... but if it was claimed to be an "operable" Coketron, I would. (... a topic which is apparently broached in subsequent posts.)

Harvey White

so if you make one, and it doesn't work?

is it a coketron zero?

Harvey

On 1/14/2021 11:05 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM, Tom Lee wrote:

If someone were to hand you a non-Coke bottle crt, would you ask, "Yeah, but what does it do?"
No... but if it was claimed to be an "operable" Coketron, I would. (... a topic which is apparently broached in subsequent posts.)

Dave Seiter

Groan........