Peter Keller's Book Mailing Status (Minor Correction)


 

I was mistaken to say Media Rate mail does not have tracking numbers.

I just looked at the 84 inch (2.13m) long receipt I received and discovered
that each of the 72 packages I mailed does have a tracking number. It shows
up just below the zip code for that package. Had I known this in advance I
would have handed the boxes in zip code order to Chu, my understanding and
sympathetic Post Office window clerk. Unfortunately they are in totally
random order.

If after 7 to 10 days anyone is still waiting for their book I will be able
to find the tracking number and locate the book but I am hoping I won't have
to.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

_____________________________________________
From: Dennis Tillman W7pF [mailto:dennis@ridesoft.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 12:20 PM
To: 'TekScopes@groups.io' <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Peter Keller's Book Mailing Status


This morning I mailed 76 of Peter Keller's books. These went to 72 people in
the USA who ordered Peter's book.

At the request of our currently shorthanded post office staff I have been
asked to wait until Thursday to mail the 25 International orders when there
will be enough people on duty to process them. It takes time to verify the
address, determine the postage, and process the customs forms for each
international order.

Here is the list of domestic orders I mailed today. Because these were send
Media Mail Rate the clerk only has to enter the zip code and print out a
label for each box. It took about 1 1/2 hours to process 72 domestic orders.
There are no tracking numbers for Media Mail packages.

If you want to know if I mailed your book(s) today scan down this zip code
sorted list for your initials.
------ --- -------
01460, HV, 1 Book
01510, PE, 1 Book
01742, SB, 1 Book
02090, JY, 1 Book
04605, LS, 1 Book
06057, EO, 1 Book
06851, LK, 1 Book
07023, MD, 1 Book
10034, PC, 1 Book
11507, LL, 1 Book
13211, BG, 1 Book
13635, BL, 1 Book
14094, SW, 1 Book
14131, CD, 1 Book
15068, DM, 1 Book
17044, DK, 1 Book
18944, CA, 1 Book
19010, SH, 1 Book
19808, RD, 1 Book
20169, CL, 1 Book
20613, TK, 1 Book
20872, CH, 2 Books
20901, JD, 1 Book
22406, FD, 1 Book
23236, MV, 1 Book
27932, RB, 1 Book
28411, VS, 1 Book
29445, GL, 1 Book
30064, MM, 1 Book
30341, HO, 1 Book
32707, SB, 1 Book
32754, DD, 1 Book
32765, JR, 2 Books
45014, ES, 1 Book
45066, LS, 1 Book
45801, TL, 1 Book
48206, CW, 1 Book
48371, VV, 1 Book
48843, JR, 1 Book
56549, EN, 1 Book
59405, GM, 1 Book
66062, JF, 1 Book
67212, CC, 1 Book
72834, ML, 1 Book
78746, MA, 1 Book
80015, CD, 1 Book
80023, PB, 1 Book
80234, JM, 1 Book
80907, KP, 1 Book
87107, JG, 1 Book
87124, CM, 1 Book
87544, BD, 1 Book
89511, MM, 1 Book
91602, BH, 1 Book
92109, SP, 1 Book
92806, LM, 1 Book
94301, BC, 1 Book
94550, JR, 1 Book
94602, RD, 1 Book
94941, BH, 1 Book
94947, JP, 1 Book
95320, TN, 3 Books
95693, KS, 1 Book
97338, JG, 1 Book
97424, TP, 1 Book
98008, DM, 1 Book
98030, BL, 1 Book
98115, MH, 1 Book
98166, CN, 1 Book
98275, SJ, 1 Book
98501, DG, 1 Book
Anonymous, 1 Book

Dennis Tillman W7pF


Marvin Moss
 

My many thanks to Dennis for a job well done. From a PhD in EE, I want to thank you for all the work that you have done.
I will think of you and your efforts when I read and enjoy his book!! Marvin


Jack Reynolds
 

Hi Dennis,

I for one want to thank you again for having done this.  However, I would like to suggest to you and everyone that your 10 day estimate is probably optimistic.  There may be quite a few who do not get their book that quickly and you don't need a flood of e-mails on top of all you have done!  I don't believe anyone should get concerned for several weeks or more.  I am still getting Christmas cards which were mailed the first week in Dec. and they were first class!

Happy New Year All,

Jack

On 1/3/2021 12:03 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
I was mistaken to say Media Rate mail does not have tracking numbers.

I just looked at the 84 inch (2.13m) long receipt I received and discovered
that each of the 72 packages I mailed does have a tracking number. It shows
up just below the zip code for that package. Had I known this in advance I
would have handed the boxes in zip code order to Chu, my understanding and
sympathetic Post Office window clerk. Unfortunately they are in totally
random order.

If after 7 to 10 days anyone is still waiting for their book I will be able
to find the tracking number and locate the book but I am hoping I won't have
to.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

_____________________________________________
From: Dennis Tillman W7pF [mailto:dennis@ridesoft.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2021 12:20 PM
To: 'TekScopes@groups.io' <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Peter Keller's Book Mailing Status


This morning I mailed 76 of Peter Keller's books. These went to 72 people in
the USA who ordered Peter's book.

At the request of our currently shorthanded post office staff I have been
asked to wait until Thursday to mail the 25 International orders when there
will be enough people on duty to process them. It takes time to verify the
address, determine the postage, and process the customs forms for each
international order.

Here is the list of domestic orders I mailed today. Because these were send
Media Mail Rate the clerk only has to enter the zip code and print out a
label for each box. It took about 1 1/2 hours to process 72 domestic orders.
There are no tracking numbers for Media Mail packages.

If you want to know if I mailed your book(s) today scan down this zip code
sorted list for your initials.
------ --- -------
01460, HV, 1 Book
01510, PE, 1 Book
01742, SB, 1 Book
02090, JY, 1 Book
04605, LS, 1 Book
06057, EO, 1 Book
06851, LK, 1 Book
07023, MD, 1 Book
10034, PC, 1 Book
11507, LL, 1 Book
13211, BG, 1 Book
13635, BL, 1 Book
14094, SW, 1 Book
14131, CD, 1 Book
15068, DM, 1 Book
17044, DK, 1 Book
18944, CA, 1 Book
19010, SH, 1 Book
19808, RD, 1 Book
20169, CL, 1 Book
20613, TK, 1 Book
20872, CH, 2 Books
20901, JD, 1 Book
22406, FD, 1 Book
23236, MV, 1 Book
27932, RB, 1 Book
28411, VS, 1 Book
29445, GL, 1 Book
30064, MM, 1 Book
30341, HO, 1 Book
32707, SB, 1 Book
32754, DD, 1 Book
32765, JR, 2 Books
45014, ES, 1 Book
45066, LS, 1 Book
45801, TL, 1 Book
48206, CW, 1 Book
48371, VV, 1 Book
48843, JR, 1 Book
56549, EN, 1 Book
59405, GM, 1 Book
66062, JF, 1 Book
67212, CC, 1 Book
72834, ML, 1 Book
78746, MA, 1 Book
80015, CD, 1 Book
80023, PB, 1 Book
80234, JM, 1 Book
80907, KP, 1 Book
87107, JG, 1 Book
87124, CM, 1 Book
87544, BD, 1 Book
89511, MM, 1 Book
91602, BH, 1 Book
92109, SP, 1 Book
92806, LM, 1 Book
94301, BC, 1 Book
94550, JR, 1 Book
94602, RD, 1 Book
94941, BH, 1 Book
94947, JP, 1 Book
95320, TN, 3 Books
95693, KS, 1 Book
97338, JG, 1 Book
97424, TP, 1 Book
98008, DM, 1 Book
98030, BL, 1 Book
98115, MH, 1 Book
98166, CN, 1 Book
98275, SJ, 1 Book
98501, DG, 1 Book
Anonymous, 1 Book

Dennis Tillman W7pF




EJP
 

Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP


 

<SNIP> why not just scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own tracking numbers?

Because scanning the 7 feet long receipt involves cutting it into segments, scanning them in the correct order and posting the list and that IS MORE WORK which is precisely what I am trying to avoid so I can begin boxing up the international orders and preparing all the customs forms that have to go with them.
Even answering emails suggesting I should do this or that (like I am doing by answering this email) takes time away from the really important work I still have to do so I get the international orders finished and at the post office 82 hours from now.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of EJP
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 6:48 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Peter Keller's Book Mailing Status (Minor Correction)

Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP







--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator


Jack Reynolds
 

Hi EJP,

You are probably not missing much by not having the tracking information.  USPS tracking has been virtually useless for months.  Since April or May as I recall one simply sees a couple of steps in the shipping process and then a departure from the last station   Then days after days of no further reports since it left Podunk or wherever.  Podunk may be only 150 miles away but no new statuses are reported for days on end.  It is more of a frustration than a help.

Jack

On 1/3/2021 9:48 PM, EJP wrote:
Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP




Vince Vielhaber
 

Media mail from my house to anywhere, even 20 miles away, will first go to Pittsburgh, PA. I'm about 40 miles north of Detroit. That said, I've seen Media Mail packages get to the same city before both a priority and first class package around the same weight. (I sell used DVDs and have anywhere between 10 and 30 packages in transit at any given time).

Vince.

On 01/04/2021 12:24 AM, Jack Reynolds wrote:
Hi EJP,

You are probably not missing much by not having the tracking
information. USPS tracking has been virtually useless for months.
Since April or May as I recall one simply sees a couple of steps in the
shipping process and then a departure from the last station Then days
after days of no further reports since it left Podunk or wherever.
Podunk may be only 150 miles away but no new statuses are reported for
days on end. It is more of a frustration than a help.

Jack

On 1/3/2021 9:48 PM, EJP wrote:
Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just
scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own
tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not
just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will
arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP







Dave Seiter
 

I haven't been following this thread, but just happened to see this.  For the last 3-4 months, USPS tracking has been almost worthless.  As an ebay seller, I see when I purchase the postage, but frequently, that is the last input until the item is delivered (then suddenly all the other scan points show up).  About a 1/3 of my buyers ask "what's up?", and I just tell them to be patient, it'll get there.  So far, I've been right...
-Dave

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 09:24:27 PM PST, Jack Reynolds <jackandladyreynolds@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi EJP,

You are probably not missing much by not having the tracking
information.  USPS tracking has been virtually useless for months. 
Since April or May as I recall one simply sees a couple of steps in the
shipping process and then a departure from the last station   Then days
after days of no further reports since it left Podunk or wherever. 
Podunk may be only 150 miles away but no new statuses are reported for
days on end.  It is more of a frustration than a help.

Jack

On 1/3/2021 9:48 PM, EJP wrote:
Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP





 

I don't dispute the issues you are experiencing with mail delivery but it is not like this everywhere.

I mailed the books on Saturday morning. Monday afternoon I received an email from a member that they received Peter's book within my state (Washington). Today (Tuesday) I received another email that their book arrived.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vince Vielhaber
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 9:44 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Peter Keller's Book Mailing Status (Minor Correction)

Media mail from my house to anywhere, even 20 miles away, will first go to Pittsburgh, PA. I'm about 40 miles north of Detroit. That said, I've seen Media Mail packages get to the same city before both a priority and first class package around the same weight. (I sell used DVDs and have anywhere between 10 and 30 packages in transit at any given time).

Vince.


On 01/04/2021 12:24 AM, Jack Reynolds wrote:
Hi EJP,

You are probably not missing much by not having the tracking
information. USPS tracking has been virtually useless for months.
Since April or May as I recall one simply sees a couple of steps in the
shipping process and then a departure from the last station Then days
after days of no further reports since it left Podunk or wherever.
Podunk may be only 150 miles away but no new statuses are reported for
days on end. It is more of a frustration than a help.

Jack

On 1/3/2021 9:48 PM, EJP wrote:
Dennis

Rather than create more work for yourself with tracking, why not just
scan the ticket and upload it here so people can find their own
tracking numbers? I always like to have this information anyway, not
just for overdue mail, so I can track it in and know what day it will
arrive.

Just a thought.

EJP







--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun







--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator


Craig Cramb
 

I don't dispute the issues you are experiencing with mail delivery but it is not like this .

Dennis
Not that it matters but my latest Media Mail experience is I shipped a book to Southern California Dec.8th. As of today it is just left a post office in NewJersey. USPS is really complicated anymore no reliability.

Craig


Greg Muir
 

In this present world of “instant gratification” utilizing electronic means to send messages and documents I do realize that it is somewhat difficult for some people to understand the sloggingly slow process of the US Postal Service. I wanted to make a few comments regarding this.

1. Media mail is expected to be slower than normal mail approaches.
2. The US Postal Service has been crippled by the pandemic, funding, volume and politics.
3. I have recently experienced packages sent via Priority Mail to take over a week to be delivered.
4. Delivery times will vary depending upon the delivery areas and route conditions.
5. I am a patient person.
6. I have plenty of things to read until my book arrives.
7. If I die before it does, I have others who may be interested in receiving it to read.

“Nuff said.

Greg


KeepIt SimpleStupid
 

For those doing this stuff in the future, thir IRISPEN https://www.irislink.com/EN-US/c973/IRISPen-Executive-7---Pen-scanner.aspx 

When  had windows, I used the IRISPen 6 for taking numbers off of tax statements.
With Fedex and UPS, I get notifications and can move delivery for a fee.  I've moved UPS to the UPS store and FEDex to a FEDex location.  I have done this primarily for high dollar signature required items.
The book,  Dennis is doing it on his own time.  The Forum members are getting a value Added education should any member decide to do a group buy.  Dennis.  Next time charge extra for tracking unless it's way past the estimated due date.

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 8:03:35 PM EST, Greg Muir via groups.io <big_sky_explorer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

In this present world of “instant gratification” utilizing electronic means to send messages and documents I do realize that it is somewhat difficult for some people to understand the sloggingly slow process of the US Postal Service.  I wanted to make a few comments regarding this.

1.  Media mail is expected to be slower than normal mail approaches.
2.  The US Postal Service has been crippled by the pandemic, funding, volume and politics.
3.  I have recently experienced packages sent via Priority Mail to take over a week to be delivered.
4.  Delivery times will vary depending upon the delivery areas and route conditions.
5.  I am a patient person.
6.  I have plenty of things to read until my book arrives.
7.  If I die before it does, I have others who may be interested in receiving it to read.

“Nuff said.

Greg