WTB: 3B4 plug in for RTTY

greenboxmaven

I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY setup. The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare? Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

Roy Morgan

Do you have any other amplifier plug-in??

You can plug any amplifier module into the right hand slot and have a X-Y scope (I am very sure from years-ago memory).

My 561/554 and plug-in's are in storage I cannot get to.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:37 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Bruce:

I have a 3B4 timebase.  Only problem is that I don't want to ship.  From
looking at the FCC call sign database, I think you are in NY state,
yes?  Do you ever get down to the Washington DC area?  If you do, you
are welcome to the 3B4.  The 3B4 comes with a rackmount 561A scope, and
a 3A74 quad vertical amplifier, and a 2A61 differential vertical
amplfier. It's all yours- scope and plugins- for free, provided that you
pick up everything.  All items are uncalibrated, but in good working
condition.  I do seem to remember that there's a non-Tek knob on one of
the 3A74 amplifier's controls, but it doesn't affect operation.

I live in Fairfax VA, about 5 miles outside of the Washington DC beltway.

Mike Dinolfo N4MWP

On 12/17/20 0:22, Roy Morgan wrote:
Do you have any other amplifier plug-in??

You can plug any amplifier module into the right hand slot and have a X-Y scope (I am very sure from years-ago memory).

My 561/554 and plug-in's are in storage I cannot get to.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Dec 16, 2020, at 11:37 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

greenboxmaven

Thanks for the offer. At this point, I would rather find the 3B4 alone. I rarely travel to Virginia, and certainly not anywhere until the virus is under control.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY, Syracuse, New York

On 12/17/20 5:59, Mike Dinolfo wrote:
[...]

ChuckA

Bruce & Mike

I may have a solution for you guys. I can have the scope and plug-ins picked up from Mike in VA and I will ship the 3B4 plug-in to Bruce for the cost of shipping.

Contact me off list if you want to go with it.

Chuck

--
See Early TV at:

www.myvintagetv.com

widgethunter

why not use another vertical plug-in for external hor input?

I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY
setup.  The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal
input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

greenboxmaven

I want to be able to display other signals as well as the common RTTY X-Y tuning indication without needing to exchange the modules.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

why not use another vertical plug-in for external hor input?
I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY
setup. The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal
input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

widgethunter

That could be problematic; the hor input isn't cal'd and it probably won't match the vertical plugin's impedance or gain. For symmetrical x/y displays of equal bw you will likely need 2 identical vertical amps, cal'd to the input sensitivity of the mainframe.

I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY
setup.  The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal
input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

greenboxmaven

That won't be a problem. There is plenty drive available and at low impedence, the signals for X-Y will be at low frequency. A 3B4 will do the job fine, and allow observation of other signals conveniently.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

That could be problematic; the hor input isn't cal'd and it probably won't match the vertical plugin's impedance or gain. For symmetrical x/y displays of equal bw you will likely need 2 identical vertical amps, cal'd to the input sensitivity of the mainframe.

I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY
setup. The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal
input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

widgethunter

Look at 2B67; hor in without tunnel diode triggering and often available for nothing.The 3B4 is much more rare and my personal favorite, but may be overkill for your application.

I am going to use the 561B rack mount scope I have restored in an RTTY
setup.  The time base I have does not offer an external horizontal
input. A 3B4 or perhaps 3T4 does have it. Does anyone have one to spare?
Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

Brenda

Hello Bruce,

I do have not 1 but 2 Tektronix 3B4 time bases that I would be willing to part with. 1 of them is functional as far as basic use goes. I am not a professional by any means, so I don't fully understand everything about all the features. But last time I used it, it does trigger very well and has a "NOS" 7119 tube for the amplifier according to the flea bay seller which I had to drop $100 for 1 of those tubes. (People are greedy when they see the Amperex logo....) The other one is a parts unit and is in better shape cosmetically that I have been holding onto for the working time base. I think I did throw some tubes in it and tried it out, and the sweep was all wonky, but it did seem to trigger if memory serves me right, been a few years since I have piddled with the time base. I am pretty sure that I have a hard copy of the manual as well.

If you are still interested, I could pull out that time base and check it to the best of my knowledge. Granted, they are not calibrated.

Brenda

Brenda

Bruce, I have sent you an email. :)

Brenda