From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jared Cabot via groups.io
Sent: 11 December 2020 12:02
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Looking for parts for 212 portable scope.

Hi all.
I have a 212 portable scope here I was restoring, and it seems the contact cleaner I used wasn't compatible with the pots and stripped the carbon traces clean out of them....

Jared Cabot

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 09:10 PM, David C. Partridge wrote:

The brand to be avoided is very useful information ...
It's the Japanese brand Hozan, Z-294 Overhaul Cleaner.

https://www.hozan.co.jp/catalog/Maintenance_Tools/Z-294.html

And it's total rubbish...... >:(

Colin Herbert

Looking at the website and the description "Overhaul Cleaner" this seems to be for disassembly and cleaning of mechanical items, though the use on a pcb in the last picture might make you think otherwise. Keep it away from any pots and switches - caveat emptor. There has to be a reason why well-thought-of stuff like Deoxit and Electrolube are a bit on the pricey side, doesn't there? Surely not just greed on the part of the manufacturers.
Colin.
Colin.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 09:10 PM, David C. Partridge wrote:

The brand to be avoided is very useful information ...
It's the Japanese brand Hozan, Z-294 Overhaul Cleaner.

https://www.hozan.co.jp/catalog/Maintenance_Tools/Z-294.html

And it's total rubbish...... >:(

Roy Thistle

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 05:25 AM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Surely not just greed on the part of the manufacturers.
greed applies!

Roy Thistle

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 05:25 AM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Looking at the website and the description "Overhaul Cleaner"
There's Z-294 and Z-294-L... the Z-294 MSDS say's it has 30% cyclohexane (death to polycarbonate... but compatible with most plastics.)
If those pots were a plastic/carbon track, or carbon ink track... the cyclohexane might have attacked that. There is also ethanol, and "petroleum solvents" in the Z-294.

Miguel Work

To repair my 214 intensity pot, I bought a similar pot with different axe, and I changed only the carbon track. You can use pier pot too, and glue original axe.

https://www.tme.eu/es/details/pt15nv-1m/potenciometros-tht-de-una-revolucion/piher/pt15nv02105a2020s/?brutto=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgPiNwQ8wHbGufy120PCggiZKGin5hslVRVKzhqf_yhd30k1h6SWWr0aAspHEALw_wcB

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 05:25 AM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Looking at the website and the description "Overhaul Cleaner"
There's Z-294 and Z-294-L... the Z-294 MSDS say's it has 30% cyclohexane (death to polycarbonate... but compatible with most plastics.) If those pots were a plastic/carbon track, or carbon ink track... the cyclohexane might have attacked that. There is also ethanol, and "petroleum solvents" in the Z-294.

Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO

Greg Muir

There is frequently a radical difference between “contact cleaners” and cleaner/lubes for potentiometers. And in this case it appears that this product would primarily be found in automotive shops used by mechanics or other mechanically-oriented businesses who simply need to clean the oil. dirt and debris out of switches and such. The name “Overhaul Cleaner” definitely alludes to this type of application.

I have had little success informing others regarding use of only those products that are specifically targeted towards sensitive electronics rather than off-the-shelf cleaners utilized for a myriad of other purposes. I keep my harsh mechanical-oriented cleaner in the garage, the true electronic cleaners and lubes in the lab. If the item does not specifically state for use on things like potentiometers, it goes to the garage where it belongs.

Remember – generic contact cleaners are safe on contacts which are normally made of metal and cannot be damaged without some effort (except for elastomeric types which should NEVER be exposed to cleaners and lubricants). Therefore they can contain some very nasty ingredients with no effect except if the contacts are housed in materials that may be sensitive to aggressive chemicals.

It pays to be safe or pay the penalty.

Greg

Reddy

I have a 212 for parts here somewhere . Arlington Va.

Dale H. Cook

On 12/11/2020 7:02 AM, Jared Cabot wrote:

I have a 212 portable scope here I was restoring, and it seems the
contact cleaner I
used wasn't compatible with the pots and stripped the carbon traces
clean out of
them....

Contact cleaner is for contacts, not for carbon controls. A chemical designed for use on controls and faders, such as Caig DeoxIT FaderLube, is what should be used on controls and faders.
--
Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/