Topics

AM503 latch

It was always going to happen sometime, and now it has - the latch has
broken.

This is the variant with small screw below the pull tab.

Did anyone ever do a good replacement for these (I don't count the cable tie
solution as good).

David

Colin Herbert

As far as I can tell, there are variants on that, too. Sometimes the screw
below the pull-tab is under the plastic front-panel (and a rather
inaccessible) and sometimes it is quite visible below the pull-tab. The
second version is much easier to remove and replace, as it doesn't require
removal of the plastic front-panel. There are three parts to the mechanical
bits; the pull-tab itself, the inner white plastic bit that the pull-tab
snaps into and the black plastic part that is screwed to the front and has
two retaining "hooks". I have had some luck in gluing the black plastic bit
back together and I have got some off eBay (I think it may have been
"test-equip" in Camberley, UK). There is a chap in Trinidad who makes
polycarbonate versions of the pull-tabs, but I think he is out-of-stock at
present
(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TM500-TM5006-Plug-in-Pull-TAB-latch-Qt
y-5-1-bonus-Tough-polycarb/132933760409?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksi
d=p2060353.m1438.l2649). I believe that he is a member of Tekscopes forum
("ancelb"). The other part "may" turn up on eBay occasionally.
Good Luck and keep well,
Colin

It was always going to happen sometime, and now it has - the latch has
broken.

This is the variant with small screw below the pull tab.

Did anyone ever do a good replacement for these (I don't count the cable tie
solution as good).

David

It's the grey triangular pull tab that's broken off. The front panel has
(in this case) got the hole below the tab so you can undo the screw...

D.

It was always going to happen sometime, and now it has - the latch has
broken.

This is the variant with small screw below the pull tab.

Did anyone ever do a good replacement for these (I don't count the cable tie
solution as good).

David

Colin Herbert

In that case, you might try messaging Ancel. He is a member and has a few
email addresses. This one is possible mosaicmerc@yahoo.com. He sells the
polycarbonate pull-tabs in packs of five plus one extra bonus tab for when
the internal latch parts are missing.
Colin.

It's the grey triangular pull tab that's broken off. The front panel has
(in this case) got the hole below the tab so you can undo the screw...

D.

It was always going to happen sometime, and now it has - the latch has
broken.

This is the variant with small screw below the pull tab.

Did anyone ever do a good replacement for these (I don't count the cable tie
solution as good).

David

Robert LeClercq

I have some replacement pull tabs. Easy install, but not a Tek part; black in color
Robert

Jim Ford

Yes, ancelb AKA mosaicmerc, in Trinidad.  I bought an S-4 sampling head from him for a very reasonable price a couple years ago, and it works fine.  One point on the curve saying he's a good guy.  Good luck to you, David.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Colin Herbert via groups.io" <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> Date: 12/6/20 3:06 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] AM503 latch As far as I can tell, there are variants on that, too. Sometimes the screwbelow the pull-tab is under the plastic front-panel (and a ratherinaccessible) and sometimes it is quite visible below the pull-tab. Thesecond version is much easier to remove and replace, as it doesn't requireremoval of the plastic front-panel. There are three parts to the mechanicalbits; the pull-tab itself, the inner white plastic bit that the pull-tabsnaps into and the black plastic part that is screwed to the front and hastwo retaining "hooks". I have had some luck in gluing the black plastic bitback together and I have got some off eBay (I think it may have been"test-equip" in Camberley, UK). There is a chap in Trinidad who makespolycarbonate versions of the pull-tabs, but I think he is out-of-stock atpresent(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TM500-TM5006-Plug-in-Pull-TAB-latch-Qty-5-1-bonus-Tough-polycarb/132933760409?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&;_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649). I believe that he is a member of Tekscopes forum("ancelb"). The other part "may" turn up on eBay occasionally.Good Luck and keep well,Colin-----Original Message-----From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of David C.PartridgeSent: 06 December 2020 10:38To: TekScopes; TekScopes2@groups.ioSubject: [TekScopes] AM503 latchIt was always going to happen sometime, and now it has - the latch hasbroken.This is the variant with small screw below the pull tab.Did anyone ever do a good replacement for these (I don't count the cable tiesolution as good).David

Jaap Rusticus

Hello David, I have a pull tab for you, Just send me a picture of what you need and your address by PM and I can send it to you.
Jaap from Netherlands