worst condition Tektronix scope?

Sparky99

Just saw this on ebay in the UK : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-Type-545-Oscilloscope-Vintage-Antique-Collectors/353290325095?hash=item5241be8c67:g:-GYAAOSwBPZfvDOx

Looks like it's been stored in a tropical jungle for a few years!

Anyone got any worse examples?

Dave Seiter

Awfully high price for an "ornament"; and you'd need quite a substantial Christmas tree to hang that from!
-Dave

On Thursday, November 26, 2020, 10:26:46 AM PST, Sparky99 <jnolan@iprova.com> wrote:

Just saw this on ebay in the UK : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-Type-545-Oscilloscope-Vintage-Antique-Collectors/353290325095?hash=item5241be8c67:g:-GYAAOSwBPZfvDOx

Looks like it's been stored in a tropical jungle for a few years!

Anyone got any worse examples?

Here is a parts scope I got from eBay https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=257163

Most of the knobs are smashed, it's been spattered in something gray that won't come off with soap or IPA, but when I powered it up it appears to be in almost perfect working condition (I say "almost" because I didn't really try to test it in any complete way, just fed the cal signal into both channels, twiddled what knobs could be twiddled, and tried the different button positions. Everything I tried seemed to be working perfectly).

I'd like to turn this from a parts scope into a second bench scope, but I'll need to completely replace the front panel and knobs, unless I can find a way to clean them up. Whatever is spattered all over it won't wash off with either detergent and water or IPA, and I haven't tried any stronger solvents or vigorous brushing. Any advice on how to clean the front panel and remaining knobs, techniques or safe solvents, would be appreciated.

-- Jeff Dutky

Colin Herbert

There aren't many tropical jungles in Stoke-on-Trent, but maybe it was stored in a garden shed neat the river Trent? The price is well-above any sane person would pay, surely?
Colin.

Looks like it's been stored in a tropical jungle for a few years!

Anyone got any worse examples?

Colin Herbert

My awful tryping (sic) strikes again. I should have written "garden shed near the river Trent?
I don't really see it as very ornamental either, even if cleaned up, it really is a mess. I don't think I would take it away if the seller gave me the money he is asking for it.
Colin