Why you now Paypal

Frank DuVal

Weird. I NEVER have a Captcha / Not A Robot screen or button when using PayPal....

I do not save my password. Have to enter it every time, my choice. Works for me.

I do not understand the "how far along in the buying process you are" comment. All the screens on PayPal seem logical to me. And there are not many when sending money, either on their website only or through a vendor link to send funds.

So far it works well for me! Both as buyer and sending money to friends. Even for Tek supplies, to keep it on subject.😉

Frank DuVal

On 11/26/2020 1:01 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
I don't have particular issues, other than complaints about this particular process (not being offered the options that would have made this process easy), and about the quality of their buyer interface (every time I have tried to log into their web interface I have had to do the "I'm not a robot" dance, and every time the site has responded with "something went wrong on our end" throwing me back to the "I'm not a robot" screen, so that I get to do the dance again, and maybe a third time. That's shoddy UX on PayPal's part, and I haven't got any patience for that sort of thing. Also there's no indication of how far along in the buying process you are, so you just have to keep clicking Continue until suddenly the process is over. That's also shoddy UX). My only other complaints about PayPal are mere hearsay, but I've heard too many stories of sellers having their funds frozen over the years to think that maybe there isn't at least a little bit of fire behind that smoke.
That said, I understand why people want to use PayPal: they fill a niche that, even today, has very few players. If you want to accept payment over the web you just don't have many choices, and the established choices (credit card merchant accounts) are not well suited to small players. When PayPal got started they were basically the only game in town for people who couldn't afford to set up a merchant account, and that benefit can not be overestimated. Still, I'm a grumpy sort, and this is one of the things I'm grumpy about.

-- Jeff Dutky

Vince Vielhaber

I've gotten it occasionally. I usually go there from what Firefox calls a private browsing window. Cookies aren't saved there and the first time going after restarting the browser is when I would get it, if I get it. Like I said, it's occasional.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 11/26/2020 12:09 PM, Frank DuVal via groups.io wrote:
[...]

stevenhorii

For improved PayPal security, I added the “two-factor authentication” for
PayPal since my primary payment method is a deduction from my bank checking
account. I do this for all my online banking transactions, my work and
personal e-mail (both if I am logging in from devices the mail servers do
not know are usually associated with my user name and password), and
two-factor identification running over a VPN is required for remote work
access (healthcare).

Steve H

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:09 Frank DuVal via groups.io <corvairduval=
netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

EJP

I get the Captcha nearly every time, and sometimes the spot-the-traffic-light game as well. They also keep enabling fast login on my iPad or computer when I don't want it, and there is no apparent way to stop that, although you can turn it off again when notified. And I can always eventually find the Send to Friend option.

I wouldn't be without it, but:

- the fees are too high considering they are holding the float and paying no interest to me.
- the UI keeps changing, and there are some things that are only accessible from the home screen, like items pending shipping for example (or else I've never found them).
- the statements are rudimentary, and when they changed from the old to the new statement format they didn't balance at the changeover point. From memory this was due to different timezones for one as against the other.
- I had a major argument with them a few years ago when their invoice form was charging GST on the undiscounted amount, meaning I was paying GST on my own discount. The call centre guy just argued black and blue until I said I wouldn't discuss it further with anyone who wasn't a qualified accountant. Eventually they put in what I wanted as an option, when the other option is never correct.
- from the programming perpsective the API is enormous and unwieldy, unless you use IPN, which is tiny and unwieldy ;-); and both are poorly documented.

EJP