Delayed Timebase on a Tek 2215A

I purchased a cheap 2215A so that I could have a scope that had the delayed timebase ALT display function (where you get to see your A timebase waveform with the B timebase segment intensified, as well as showing the intensified portion of the waveform "zoomed in" to fill the width of the display). I already have a 475 and 2213, and I was hoping that the ALT display would allow me to scroll smoothly over the waveform the way I can with the 2213, but it seems to only allow jumping between one trigger point and the next, which isn't very interesting, at least not with a simple repeating waveform like the calibration signal.

Am I misunderstanding how the delayed timebase is supposed to work, or is there a way to get the 2215A to allow a smooth scroll over the waveform like the 2213?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:21 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

Am I misunderstanding how the delayed timebase is supposed to work, or is
there a way to get the 2215A to allow a smooth scroll over the waveform like
the 2213?
I'm not familiar with the 2215A but I'd also suspect operator error. ISTR that you need to set the delayed trigger knob (top right hand side of front panel) clockwise all the way to set the B time base to "Runs after Delay". It seems you have it set somewhere intermediate where it sets the B trigger level.

Raymond

satbeginner

Yep,

That's how it works.
B trigger level fully clockwise, than you can choose the part you want to expand.
If set to a certain trigger level, so not fully clockwise, it will jump from flank to flank when turning "B delay time position"

Saludos,

Leo

Raymond and Leo, thanks for the correction, it was ENTIRELY operator error and misunderstanding. I see that the same thing can be achieved on the 475 by selecting the B trigger source as "STARTS AFTER DELAY" even though the 475 does not offer the more pleasing ALT horizontal display mode.

I know that this is shallow, but I just wanted to be able to see the two signals one above the other rather than stitched together vertically with a sliding transition from one timebase to the other. I don't have any real use for the feature, which is part of the reason that I didn't understand how to use it, but as this is just my hobby, being able to play with a cool looking feature is basically the only requirement.

-- Jeff