Topics

Special Offer from Peter Keller to TekScopes Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

In 2017 when I bought my copy of Peter Keller's definitive book on the CRT I
paid $70 for it.

1) PETER WAS VERY CLEAR: HE HAS NOT GIVEN ANYONE PERMISSION TO SCAN HIS BOOK
OR TURN IT INTO AN ELECTRONIC, DOWNLOADABLE, FILE (but he has made it
possible to buy it at a huge discount)
2) The 6-part, 36-page article that Bill Perkins scanned on the Tektronix
CRTs was originally published by the Tube Collectors Association which has
since disbanded. As far as Peter is concerned we may post it to our website.
It will then be accessible to more researchers and collectors there.
3) I (Dennis Tillman) also think this article should be posted to TekWiki.

AND NOW FOR THE VERY GOOD NEWS:
Peter's book is still available in hard cover and he has copies of to sell.
Because of recent interest in it from more than five members of TekScopes I
went out on a limb and asked if a discount would be available if I could
guarantee him an order of at least 10 copies of his book provided I did all
the work of collecting the funds and mailing the copies to our members. In
his reply (BELOW) he offered our members a huge discount. The cost would be
$40 + shipping if we order 10 copies or $30 + shipping for an order of 20
copies of his book. If there are 20 orders that will mean your copy will
cost less than half of what I paid for my copy. Also, I believe I can even
get him to autograph each copy.

If there are enough orders I will collect the funds and ship each order to
our members. In the meantime I will find out the most economical way to ship
these.

If you definitely want a copy of Peter's book contact me OFF-LIST at dennis
at ridesoft dot com and include your address. Once I know what the postage
will cost and how many orders we have I will know what the final price will
be for each of you.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

In that case I definitely won't buy the book.
W7pF

That won't even get close. When my wife and I got married in 1967 $750 covered round trip air fare from Miami and a weeks stay at the Sheraton British Colonial in Nassau. Just looked up inflation rate since then, $6850 USD

Leon Robinson K5JLR

I have been selling them at $69.50 plus $6.00 shipping. For ten all shipped
to one address at one time I would be willing to sell them at $39.50 each
plus actual shipping cost. Ten copies would weigh about 25-30 pounds I
believe. Twenty copies would be $29.50 each plus shipping.

Peter

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Kurt Rosenfeld

In 2018 I got permission from Mr. Keller to extract data from one of his articles and use it here:
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube#Classic_Tektronix_CRTs_.28info_provided_by_Peter_Keller.29
There was no discussion of any other documents or permissions.

ChrisBeee

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy of Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
I don't expect any problems shipping this to Germany.

One correction:
This offer is strictly between Peter Keller and individual members of the group. I did offer to act as the go-between because I thought there might be some interest and because I understood how "sensitive" our members are to price. I was also hoping this would give Peter some well-deserved cash as we get close to the holidays.

So I told Peter I thought I might be able to pass along 10 orders for his book. When he said OK I notified TekScopes. That was 36 hours ago. I have orders for over 50 of his books as of this moment.

This brings back memories of when I asked for small donations to pay Groups.io the annual fee for hosting TekScopes back at the beginning of the year. Somebody please remind me the next time I think up something like this to think twice about what happened the last two times I had a bright idea. :)

Dennis Tillman W7pF

I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy of Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

n4buq

Does anyone know whether this book covers CRTs that were used for color TVs (and other color displays)? I ask because I'm not finding good information on how those work.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

:)

Dennis Tillman W7pF

Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy of
Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if
you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Chuck Harris

It has about 100 pages on TV type CRT's.

CONTENTS

Cathode-Ray Tube Fundamentals
A Laboratory Curiosity
RADAR Indicator Cathode-Ray Tubes
Oscilloscope Cathode-Ray Tubes
Monochrome Television Picture Tubes
Color Television Picture Tubes
Data Display Cathode-Ray Tubes
Avionics and Vehicular Cathode-Ray Tubes
Photo-Recording Cathode-Ray Tubes
Flat Cathode-Ray Tubes...

There are about 300 pages in total

-Chuck Harris

n4buq wrote:

Does anyone know whether this book covers CRTs that were used for color TVs (and other color displays)? I ask because I'm not finding good information on how those work.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy of
Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if
you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Tom Lee

Hi Barry,

Pete's book mainly covers electrostatically deflected crts. Except for some very early models, TVs used magnetically deflected crts (to allow large screens without absurd set depths). The guns are similar, but the deflection methods are very different because of the different optimization objectives.

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 11/16/2020 07:18, n4buq wrote:
Does anyone know whether this book covers CRTs that were used for color TVs (and other color displays)? I ask because I'm not finding good information on how those work.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy of
Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if
you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

n4buq

Hi Tom,

My question is probably quite simple but, like I said, I'm not finding a good answer.

As I understand it (and from personal observation when I had a Trinitron TV and I'm primarily wondering about this type of CRT but the question probably applies to others), the screen has groupings of RBG phospher dots and the RGB guns "activate" those dots as needed; however, what I'm not understanding is how a given gun "activates" a given dot. Is a particular phosphor dot sensitive to a property of one of the color guns such that a blue dot ignores a red gun, etc.? If so, then I can somewhat understand it but I'm wondering if I'm way off in that assumption.

The various sites just seem to indicate there are three guns, each of which magically cause a given color to appear but it's not explained how a single color gun causes a corresponding dot to glow without affecting the ones around it.

(Hope that made sense...)

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy
of
Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if
you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Colin Herbert

OK, I have a _very_ limited knowledge of colour CRTs, but I think the "magic" is called a "shadow-mask". The three electron guns are located in slightly different places ate the "gun" end of the tube and accelerate electrons to the phosphor screen. The shadow-mask has tiny holes in it in a matrix and the electron guns fire through these to only hit the three different colour phosphor spots that they are associated with. Does that make any sense?
Colin.

Members: The Cathode Ray Tube, Technology, History, and Applications"

Hi Dennis,
I would be more than glad if I could support the group buy and get a copy
of
Peter's book, many thanks for making this possible! My only concern is if
you would ship to Germany too. I will send you a PM with my contact data.
Cheers
Chris

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Dave Voorhis

On 16 Nov 2020, at 17:43, n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> wrote:

[...]

The three beams are dynamically and statically aligned via a set of magnets and electromagnets arranged around the neck of the tube, in addition to the yoke coils that deflect the three beams together. The beams are aimed at a photo-etched perforated barrier called a shadow mask, which is either etched with holes (conventional colour CRT) or slots (Sony Trinitron) to further refine and align the beam. The combination of the static and dynamic deflection, plus the shadow mask, ensures that each colour gun only illuminates the relevant colour phosphor dots or bars on the face of the tube.

At least, that’s what I recall from about 40 years ago, which is when I last repaired colour televisions.

snapdiode

I'm a bit confused about the Trinitron having "dots", the Trinitron relies on stripes and the mask is an aperture grille.

Chuck Harris

The trinitron works in much the same way as the shadow mask
CRT's, with their triangular gun orientation, that GE and others
developed.

The major difference is the trinitron uses a common gun, with three
horizontally spaced, cathodes.... one for each of the red, blue, and
green phosphor colors.

At the screen is a grill made up of high tension parallel wires that
go from the top of the screen to the bottom. There is usually a couple
of wires welded horizontally at various placements to keep the high
tension wires from vibrating much.

The common gun has three horizontally spaced RGB cathodes, and the
alignment of the beams is arranged so that they travel at slightly
different angles, converging at the slots formed by the high tension
shadow mask wires.

Any beam that can pass through a slot between the wires can only illuminate
the appropriate stripe of color phosphor. When it is in a position where
it could illuminate a wrong phosphor color, it is blocked by the shadow
wire.

-Chuck Harris