TDS460A Firmware?

Dano

Anyone have newer firmware than v1.0e for the TDS460A series?

I'd like to update mine to newer, as I did read there were a few operational bugs fixed. Plus it'd be cool to add FFT option to mine, just cuz...

I know there is newer firmware, from screen shots I've seen on the web, but haven't found a single edition of the firmware on the 'net. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. How did they update the firmware in the field or did they? Floppy, GPIB, Serial, burn it? That'd help narrow my searches, some more, but that's not really the problem here, it's that there isn't that many results to begin with.

It's also possible that the 460A is compatible with the others in that series, but I don't like taking chances when it comes to the firmware. Seems like the 460A is fairly ignored. Tons more info for the non A's, and everything else in that series, but not so much with the 460A. And then, depending on which book you look at there are more models lumped together in this "series". Which one do I believe?!?

Anyhow, if you have newer firmware on file, that'd be great! (said in Lumbergh's voice... office space reference Lol)

TIA!

-Dano

Malcolm Hunter

Did you see this thread on the Tek forum?

https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=132532

Seems you need to use the GPIB. They also talk about using DOS/Windows 95 for that.

Malc

On 31 December 2017 00:46:51 nojunkmail@cd-envisions.com wrote:

[...]

LOL

How did I know that would happen!#@!

Well, I have to admit, when I was searching for it previously (about a month ago), I think the Tek groups were moving from Yahoo to here and every time I tried to pull up an article, it would say it didn't exist. All I could do was look at the "cached" page and that was only good for the first page. Gave up cuz it was annoying the hell out of me. Then, I tried to join the Tek group, but it wouldn't let me. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I was finally able to join the group and realized it was due to the fact the group was moving. Sure had Google search results completely f*d up, for well over a week.

Anyhow, thanks for pointing out the obvious. (hind sight....)

I'll go and read that thread.

Cheers!

-Dano

Jack Rubin

I've created a new folder called "TDS460A Firmware Upgrade" which contains the files necessary to upgrade from 1.0 firmware. If you can't download the .zip file, grab the .pkg file - same thing with a different file type. You will need a DOS machine and GPIB interface to perform the upgrade.

Hope someone finds this info useful!

toby@...

On 2017-12-30 10:59 PM, Jack Rubin wrote:
I've created a new folder called "TDS460A Firmware Upgrade" which contains the files necessary to upgrade from 1.0 firmware. If you can't download the .zip file, grab the .pkg file - same thing with a different file type. You will need a DOS machine and GPIB interface to perform the upgrade.
Definitely useful to me, as a 460A owner.

What are the risks? Any calibration impact?

--Toby

Hope someone finds this info useful!

Dano

Jack: Many thanks!

Toby: There's a video I just watched on YT the other day, for a calibrating TDS scopes that gives some detail to it, but he's doing a calibration routine, not necessarily a firmware update. Worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzL5R_oGC3M

Now if I could just find my GPIB board I've had kicking around for years, doing nothing...

Cheers!

-Dano

Dano

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 09:45 pm, <toby@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

What are the risks? Any calibration impact?
Documentation is included with the zip file. Specifically, Page 18 of the Field Upgrade Procedures:

"When signal-path compensation has completed, the oscilloscope is in the same state of calibration as before the loading of the new firmware."

Sounds like you should be relatively safe!

Still can't find my GPIB board, so I'll have to wait to try this... Anyone have a NI GPIB/TNT ISA board, they wanna trade something for (or possibly sell dirt cheap)?

Cheers!

-Dano