First draft of the Tek knob visual index project

I have a 12 page PDF I can send to anybody interested of the beginning of the project, to show knob pics, data, layout format and other details. It is much too early to post, as only 3 sections are started, but I would like to get comments, error corrections, additional data and any suggestions if you feel like proofing it. just email me (off-list) to get a draft copy.

I especially need good pics of OLDER Tektronix knobs (or knobs I can photograph), from the 500 scope series and related vintage instruments, as I do not have many here, and none have part number data so far. this one area will really need some research work.

all the best for the new year to everybody.
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.

I will take a look if you send it to me. An email attachment will
work fine or provide a URL.

The only Tektronix 500 series oscilloscope I have is the 547 with a CA
and 1A1 amplifiers. Examination of your PDF will give me an idea of
what kinds of photographs you want.

I also have a Lavoie LA-265A which is a clone of the Tektronix 545A
with the Lavoie clone of the Tektronix CA amplifier. It uses
different knobs which is no surprise so I doubt it would be of any use
for your project but let me know.

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:51:05 -0800, you wrote:

I have a 12 page PDF I can send to anybody interested of the beginning of the project, to show knob pics, data, layout format and other details. It is much too early to post, as only 3 sections are started, but I would like to get comments, error corrections, additional data and any suggestions if you feel like proofing it. just email me (off-list) to get a draft copy.

I especially need good pics of OLDER Tektronix knobs (or knobs I can photograph), from the 500 scope series and related vintage instruments, as I do not have many here, and none have part number data so far. this one area will really need some research work.

sphere research corp.

Dano

I am interested in helping with this project. I don't have Solidworks skills, but I do have 3D modelling skills (Mastercam). Solidworks is in progress, but that's the difference of learning gimp vs photoshop (bad comparison I know, but you get the idea).

Anyhow, I have a Tek manual on specifications that also contain "blueprints", with dimensions and all that. Not truly blueprints, but good 'nuff for what were doing, I believe. I just picked it up off of flea-bay and is called the "1988 Mechanical Catalog: Volume 2". I bid against someone else, but I was determined not to miss this, since I don't trust the other buyer to scan it in and share it, as I do. Plus it happened to be local to me - which just about never happens.

Does anyone else have the other Volumes?

There's gotta be volume 1 out there at a minimum, if it hasn't been destroyed - as so eloquently stated in the book

Quote from first page, "DO NOT SEND YOUR OUTDATED CATALOGS TO THE COMMON DESIGN PARTS CATALOG GROUP. PLEASE SEND OUTDATED CATALOGS TO SALVAGE."

I have somewhat limited access to HAAS CNC machines, so I can make "some" things, if I don't take too much machine time away from the shop. I envision that I could probably easily make faceplates (out of plastic) on the CNC, with probably better results than a 3D printer (and a lot less work). Knobs, might be more difficult. Fixturing (holding) is probably the most difficult thing for me to do on the CNC with these types of widgets. Never tried to make an angled knob - I'm still relatively new to machining processes (couple years in school only gets you to entry level) but it sure as heck won't stop me from trying.

Cheers!

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

I have a couple of the 323/324 scopes if you'd like photos of those knobs. It will be a few weeks before I can dig them out to remove the knobs to photo. I prefer to scan the faces on a flatbed scanner, for better lighting and detail. An example is the black knob on this page:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html>

The website is quite old, and was built with hand written HTML so it is rather plain looking. Part of the site was lost by the host, or there would be more scanned images to show. The only updated page is the 'Current Projects', which I use to keep track of the test equipment that I have.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Dec 30, 2017 3:51 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] First draft of the Tek knob visual index project

sphere research corp.

Michael A. Terrell

Dano

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 02:31 pm, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Link is no good, glorified 404 error.

-Dano

Dano

Ahh, looks like a invalid hyperlink.

try this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html

Malcolm Hunter

Works for me.

On 1 January 2018 at 00:35, Dano <nojunkmail@cd-envisions.com> wrote:

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

It is a valid link. I copied it directly from the browser.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/index.html> is the home page.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html> is the hardware page.

Sometimes Earthlink chokes on its own links.

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] First draft of the Tek knob visual index project

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

Dano

Maybe it's my browser, but I think it's truly a bad link(s), and I suspect other browsers may be "fixing" it on the fly.

If you copy or hover over your links, they all have ">" at the end, but not at the beginning. Unequal brackets, is invalid. Hence, why I suspect some browsers may be fixing it automagically.

No big deal, long as its working!

Cheers,

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

I post with the link between the pair of brackets, because some email clients break the links. The brackets aren't part of the URL, they simply tell non-compliant software to not break the links.

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 9:02 PM

Maybe it's my browser, but I think it's truly a bad link(s), and I suspect other browsers may be "fixing" it on the fly.

If you copy or hover over your links, they all have ">" at the end, but not at the beginning. Unequal brackets, is invalid. Hence, why I suspect some browsers may be fixing it automagically.

No big deal, long as its working!

Cheers,

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

Dano

Totally understand that, but without equal brackets, it doesn't comply with the standard (been in IT for 25 years). Something is getting automagically fixed somewhere, that or automagically broken. I think it's the first, but I don't (won't) use other browsers, so I don't know how they are behaving (or not).

I'm using Firefox, so it's not an uncommon browser, maybe it's a bug.

Seriously, just try hovering over your links, they show unequal brackets. Either both brackets need to be there, or neither.

Not trying to be a pain in the rear, but someone else IS going to have the same problem and not know why. So, I'm trying to help get future links posted, properly. I don't care, I know how to cut and paste to fix it, others might not.

Cheers!

-Dano

Dano

Ok, just thought of another angle on this.

I use firefox to login to groups.io and respond to messages, not an email client.

So, I just checked my email client, and they show up correctly with paired brackets. If I login via groups.io, they DO NOT!

There's our automagic break routine --> groups.io UI

Sorry for muddling it up. But, now I know who the culprit is.

Cheers!

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

I use Firefox as well. It's email clients that usually cause the problems. I just highlight the URL, minus any brackets and right click 'Open in new tab'.

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 9:22 PM

Totally understand that, but without equal brackets, it doesn't comply with the standard (been in IT for 25 years). Something is getting automagically fixed somewhere, that or automagically broken. I think it's the first, but I don't (won't) use other browsers, so I don't know how they are behaving (or not).

Seriously, just try hovering over your links, they show unequal brackets. Either both brackets need to be there, or neither.

Not trying to be a pain in the rear, but someone else IS going to have the same problem and not know why. So, I'm trying to help get future links posted, properly. I don't care, I know how to cut and paste to fix it, others might not.

Cheers!

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell

No problem. I've worked with computers since IT meant, 'My terminal isn't working, so fix IT!' (I started in 1982) ;-)

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 9:30 PM

Ok, just thought of another angle on this.

I use firefox to login to groups.io and respond to messages, not an email client.

So, I just checked my email client, and they show up correctly with paired brackets. If I login via groups.io, they DO NOT!

There's our automagic break routine --> groups.io UI

Sorry for muddling it up. But, now I know who the culprit is.

Cheers!

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

Dano

If your running the new Firefox version 57 ...many things are broken ...many plug-ins just simply disappeared without warning.. The whole upgrade process felt eerily like the WIN-10 "free upgrade" of 2015. Dealing with the FF help desk feels very much like dealing with Microsquish these days. "We are sorry we dont support this and we dont support that anymore" ...the bookmark files folders are now Gray ..you want yellow folders? ....Helen Hunt has them ..so go to hell and hunt. After two weeks of frustration I switched to Chrome as my default browser.

It was supposed to be faster and it is,  trouble is at 5 seconds a click savings it will take me years to recover the 96 hours of non recursing effort I put into trying to get things I need to work right again.

I dont have a dog in this fight, too many variables ..but the link as posted works here in Chrome not in FF57, It will work in FF-57 if you remove both the <>. I couldn't get the link to work in IE with or without brackets?

Dave
manuals@artekmanuals.com

On 12/31/2017 9:22 PM, Dano wrote:

Cheers!

-Dano

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dano

Are you willing to try an replicate my problem? If so...

Login to groups.io via firefox (not your email in firefox)
View this message thread
Hover over your prior URL's
Look in lower left corner of FF and see what the "real" hyperlink is now.

Does is have paired brackets for you?

Dano

Yep, know all about that too, I'm preparing to downgrade because every plugin is disabled, and I at least need Session Manager to work! I won't do Chrome or IE, but open to other non-tracking browsers.

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

There is always Firefox ESR but that has its own set of problems, like losing your bookmarks and browser history.

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 9:44 PM

Dano

If your running the new Firefox version 57 ...many things are broken
...many plug-ins just simply disappeared without warning.. The whole
upgrade process felt eerily like the WIN-10 "free upgrade" of 2015.
Dealing with the FF help desk feels very much like dealing with
Microsquish these days. "We are sorry we dont support this and we dont
support that anymore" ...the bookmark files folders are now Gray ..you
want yellow folders? ....Helen Hunt has them ..so go to hell and hunt.
After two weeks of frustration I switched to Chrome as my default browser.

It was supposed to be faster and it is,  trouble is at 5 seconds a click
savings it will take me years to recover the 96 hours of non recursing
effort I put into trying to get things I need to work right again.

I dont have a dog in this fight, too many variables ..but the link as
posted works here in Chrome not in FF57, It will work in FF-57 if you
remove both the <>. I couldn't get the link to work in IE with or
without brackets?

Dave
manuals@artekmanuals.com

On 12/31/2017 9:22 PM, Dano wrote:

Cheers!

-Dano

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com
www.ArtekManuals.com

Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell

Groups.IO displays both brackets. It ignores the first bracket when you try to use the URL, so it's a problem with Groups.IO.

Sent: Dec 31, 2017 9:46 PM

Are you willing to try an replicate my problem? If so...

Login to groups.io via firefox (not your email in firefox)
View this message thread
Hover over your prior URL's
Look in lower left corner of FF and see what the "real" hyperlink is now.

Does is have paired brackets for you?

Michael A. Terrell

Dano

Yep, can confirm, same issue with Safari on my Mac. (prior tests were all PC w/FF)

So, seems to pretty much be down to Groups.io. Oh well, not something we're gonna fix.

Again, sorry for the wasted bandwidth and cluttering of this thread. In the future, I'll start a new one for issues.

Cheers!

-Dano