First draft of the Tek knob visual index project

I have a 12 page PDF I can send to anybody interested of the beginning of the project, to show knob pics, data, layout format and other details. It is much too early to post, as only 3 sections are started, but I would like to get comments, error corrections, additional data and any suggestions if you feel like proofing it. just email me (off-list) to get a draft copy.

I especially need good pics of OLDER Tektronix knobs (or knobs I can photograph), from the 500 scope series and related vintage instruments, as I do not have many here, and none have part number data so far. this one area will really need some research work.

all the best for the new year to everybody.
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.

I will take a look if you send it to me. An email attachment will
work fine or provide a URL.

The only Tektronix 500 series oscilloscope I have is the 547 with a CA
and 1A1 amplifiers. Examination of your PDF will give me an idea of
what kinds of photographs you want.

I also have a Lavoie LA-265A which is a clone of the Tektronix 545A
with the Lavoie clone of the Tektronix CA amplifier. It uses
different knobs which is no surprise so I doubt it would be of any use
for your project but let me know.

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:51:05 -0800, you wrote:

I have a 12 page PDF I can send to anybody interested of the beginning of the project, to show knob pics, data, layout format and other details. It is much too early to post, as only 3 sections are started, but I would like to get comments, error corrections, additional data and any suggestions if you feel like proofing it. just email me (off-list) to get a draft copy.

I especially need good pics of OLDER Tektronix knobs (or knobs I can photograph), from the 500 scope series and related vintage instruments, as I do not have many here, and none have part number data so far. this one area will really need some research work.

all the best for the new year to everybody.
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.

Dano

I am interested in helping with this project. I don't have Solidworks skills, but I do have 3D modelling skills (Mastercam). Solidworks is in progress, but that's the difference of learning gimp vs photoshop (bad comparison I know, but you get the idea).

Anyhow, I have a Tek manual on specifications that also contain "blueprints", with dimensions and all that. Not truly blueprints, but good 'nuff for what were doing, I believe. I just picked it up off of flea-bay and is called the "1988 Mechanical Catalog: Volume 2". I bid against someone else, but I was determined not to miss this, since I don't trust the other buyer to scan it in and share it, as I do. Plus it happened to be local to me - which just about never happens.

Does anyone else have the other Volumes?

There's gotta be volume 1 out there at a minimum, if it hasn't been destroyed - as so eloquently stated in the book

Quote from first page, "DO NOT SEND YOUR OUTDATED CATALOGS TO THE COMMON DESIGN PARTS CATALOG GROUP. PLEASE SEND OUTDATED CATALOGS TO SALVAGE."

I have somewhat limited access to HAAS CNC machines, so I can make "some" things, if I don't take too much machine time away from the shop. I envision that I could probably easily make faceplates (out of plastic) on the CNC, with probably better results than a 3D printer (and a lot less work). Knobs, might be more difficult. Fixturing (holding) is probably the most difficult thing for me to do on the CNC with these types of widgets. Never tried to make an angled knob - I'm still relatively new to machining processes (couple years in school only gets you to entry level) but it sure as heck won't stop me from trying.

Cheers!

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

I have a couple of the 323/324 scopes if you'd like photos of those knobs. It will be a few weeks before I can dig them out to remove the knobs to photo. I prefer to scan the faces on a flatbed scanner, for better lighting and detail. An example is the black knob on this page:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html>

The website is quite old, and was built with hand written HTML so it is rather plain looking. Part of the site was lost by the host, or there would be more scanned images to show. The only updated page is the 'Current Projects', which I use to keep track of the test equipment that I have.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 02:31 pm, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html>
Link is no good, glorified 404 error.

-Dano

Dano

Ahh, looks like a invalid hyperlink.

try this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html

Malcolm Hunter

Works for me.

On 1 January 2018 at 00:35, Dano <nojunkmail@cd-envisions.com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 02:31 pm, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html>
Link is no good, glorified 404 error.

-Dano

Michael A. Terrell

It is a valid link. I copied it directly from the browser.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/index.html> is the home page.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html> is the hardware page.

Sometimes Earthlink chokes on its own links.