Topics

S52 pulse head standalone wiring/trigger? S4 for sale.

mosaicmerc

Hi All:
I picked up a 17 psec S52 from EBAY and I am trying to figure out the way to power it up and give it a trigger.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Also, got an S4 sampler in near mint condition (package deal) if anyone needs one before I put it back on EBay.

Ed Breya

Get the manuals for it and the 7S12 - it should be clear and quite simple to set it up for stand-alone running. When properly powered up, the S-52 free-runs and provides a pre-trigger output.

Ed

Ed Breya

One more thing - the S-52 output may appear rather strange due to the pattern of its operation. It's not a simple on/off pulse. Only one edge is the fast one of proper level. It occurs about 85 nSec after the pre-trigger pulse - the rest of the waveform may include various other levels, and should be ignored.

Ed

Tektronix made the Type 285 power supply for operating a single S-50
series head. The manual includes details and schematic:

<http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/285>

On 04 Aug 2017 23:28:32 +0000, you wrote:

Hi All:
I picked up a 17 psec S52 from EBAY and I am trying to figure out the way to power it up and give it a trigger.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Also, got an S4 sampler in near mint condition (package deal) if anyone needs one before I put it back on EBay.

mosaicmerc

Thx david, forgot abt that.

I have a Toroidal 15VAC-0-15VAC transformer rated for 5VA on both rails that will do nicely for the PSU

Hi Ancel,
I was wondering why you thought the S52 was 17pSec? The front of the S52s I
have say it has a less than 25pSec risetime. Were you able to measure it
somehow and conclude it was 17pSec?

I can test it and verify it works for you if you want to send it to me. Then
if you decide to sell it on Ebay I can mail it out to the buyer from the US
which will probably end up being about the same for postage since the plugin
is small and not heavy. I have 3 working S52s already. Two of them are in
7S12 TDRs. I also have one of the 285 power supplies that David Whess
mentioned in his email.

Dennis Tillman W7PF