From: TekScopes@... [mailto:TekScopes@...]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:26 AM
To: TekScopes; Hp Agilent Equipment
Subject: [TekScopes] Chinese Cleaning Goo

Hi Folks,
I have been curious about the "cleaning gels" that I see many examples of
on e-bay and Amazon that one uses to clean gunk out of keyboards and
instruments. These are gel like "goo" that one places over the keyboard
and them peels off, and they supposedly pull dirt, dust and finger oil up
with them. In particular I would like to use some on an HP calculator and
other instruments I have.
Does anyone have any direct experience with these gels? Is there any
particular "brand" or vendor that is better than another, or to be avoided?
I have read a bunch of reviews that indicate some of them leave a sticky
mess behind. What is their active mechanism? Do any of them have solvents
which can potentially damage an instrument panel?
Thanks for the advice,
Dan

Jan Wuesten

Hi,

check for

Rodico from Bergeron

this is Swiss made, used by clock-makers and real quality.

A friend who restores old pocket clocks had recommended it to me so I got myself some but did not yet need to use it.

I would with no fear use it.

Jan

Am 24.07.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Daniel Koller kaboomdk@... [TekScopes]:

Hi Folks,
I have been curious about the "cleaning gels" that I see many examples of on e-bay and Amazon that one uses to clean gunk out of keyboards and instruments. These are gel like "goo" that one places over the keyboard and them peels off, and they supposedly pull dirt, dust and finger oil up with them. In particular I would like to use some on an HP calculator and other instruments I have.
Does anyone have any direct experience with these gels? Is there any particular "brand" or vendor that is better than another, or to be avoided? I have read a bunch of reviews that indicate some of them leave a sticky mess behind. What is their active mechanism? Do any of them have solvents which can potentially damage an instrument panel?
Thanks for the advice,
Dan
------------------------------------
Posted by: Daniel Koller <kaboomdk@...>
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten (Telefon direkt: 04882-6054551)

Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
Phone: +49-(0)4882-6054551 Fax : +49-(0)4882-6054552
<http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>
HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Rodico from Bergeron
this is Swiss made, used by clock-makers and real quality.
A friend who restores old pocket clocks had recommended it to me so I got myself some but did not
yet need to use it.
I would with no fear use it.
Jan
FWIW it is also superb for stylus cleaning on pickup cartidges.

I was given a small bit by an audio company who sells about 1/10 of a bar for a small fortune - a
"trade secret material"!

Once I found out what it was, I just bought a full bar for UKP6. Enough to keep my stylus clean until
I'm long gone, or at least too old for it not to matter anymore.

Craig

Jan Wuesten

No water.

Never.

Treat it like a teenager - no water. Never. Ever...

Am 24.07.2017 um 16:38 schrieb 'Ron Simmons' rjsimmons@... [TekScopes]:

NEVER clean instrument panels /lettering with ANYTHING other than soap and
water ! Nuff said
I have been curious about the "cleaning gels" that I see many examples of
on e-bay and Amazon that one uses to clean gunk out of keyboards and
instruments. These are gel like "goo" that one places over the keyboard
and them peels off, and they supposedly pull dirt, dust and finger oil up
with them. In particular I would like to use some on an HP calculator and
other instruments I have.
Does anyone have any direct experience with these gels? Is there any
particular "brand" or vendor that is better than another, or to be avoided?
I have read a bunch of reviews that indicate some of them leave a sticky
mess behind. What is their active mechanism? Do any of them have solvents
which can potentially damage an instrument panel?
Thanks for the advice,
Dan
------------------------------------
Posted by: "Ron Simmons" <rjsimmons@...>
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten (Telefon direkt: 04882-6054551)

Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
Phone: +49-(0)4882-6054551 Fax : +49-(0)4882-6054552
<http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>
HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

HBcubed

Just remember which controls do what on a Tek scope and what the labels
used to say when they’re gone after you spray them with ‘Goo” or cleaning
solvents and wipe them off … then you won’t be laughing

[...]

Jerry

I used just a little windex once on the lettering on the buttons on a 7603 and the lettering washed right off. Real bummer.

`That happens. Windex contains ammonia which can dissolve paint markings. Use just plain rubbing alcohol for cleaning to avoid this problem.

Vladimir _

I think very few compounds will be able to touch the anodized labels on Tek's aluminum panels. The legends on the pushbuttons, on the other hand, are really fragile. Just pressing on the button seems to be enough to smear the printing! I wouldn't try cleaning those even with soap and water.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

I think very few compounds will be able to touch the anodized labels on Tek's aluminum panels. The
legends on the pushbuttons, on the other hand, are really fragile. Just pressing on the button
seems
to be enough to smear the printing!
Yes, that is true. I think the button lettering was silk screen printed, but that has degraded in
some way. Perhaps it is a chemical change in the button plastic rather than the printing itself that
causes lack of adhesion.

It was one of the retired Tektronix folks (possibly Deane Kidd or Stan Griffiths) described the way
they tested the durability of different lettering techniques for the 500 series mainframe panels in
the 50's (screen printed, etched and paint filled etc). They screwed them into the main building
entrance hall and told staff to walk on them every day when going in or going home.

In similar way, 30-ish years ago I did some consultancy work for Atlas Copco in Sweden. This
division made air tools. They had just made the transition from metal bodies to plastic, and got
howls of protest from their sales team "We can't sell these - they can't be as durable as the
aluminium ones, and customers won't buy them". Perhaps it was a sales bonus problem. Anyhow, they
did a similar thing to Tektronix. But in this case they tied a plastic and an aluminium tool behind
a car, and drove it around the car park for a number of hours. The aluminium one was in quite a
mess, covered in sharp burrs and essentially unusable. The plastic one was of course worn, but was
still comfortable to use.

Craig

I wouldn't try cleaning those even with soap and water
Do *not* use soap and water!

I have excellent results using a small amount of butter to carefully wipe the printed keytops on 5000- and 7000-series mainframes and modules.

Raymond

HBcubed

I only say soap ( mild soap) and water because I have had good success with
it cleaning labels on Tek scopes and modules. I learned my lesson long ago
when I sprayed Windex cleaner and to my horror all the labels on the bezel
of a 465 were GONE. Never again !

I wouldn't try cleaning those even with soap and water
Do *not* use soap and water!

I have excellent results using a small amount of butter to carefully wipe
the printed keytops on 5000- and 7000-series mainframes and modules.

Raymond

Miguel Work

Yes, it seems some chemical degradation, I have some 7000 series plug ins and keys can be cleaned with alcohol, but I have various tek 200 series, 221, 213, and only with some water keys and votls a timing inscriptions are erased, I dont know what to do to preserve it. May be some plastic spray varnish