Topics

tube sockets and plugs for the new tube curve tracer

Eby still makes all kinds of tube sockets AND plugs, and they do make custom ones, have a look here:

http://www.ebycompany.com/sockets.shtml http://www.ebycompany.com/sockets.shtml

also, for interfacing to tube testers, an octal plug works, which you can scavenge from many unwanted octal tubes easily. hickock and others used this technique themselves to tie to things like compactron adaptors, etc. . it does require slightly altered pin settings to get to multi-element tubes, but that is not a big deal, and is exactly what they did.

you can also easily MAKE a nice 7/9 tube plug simply by using stock loose male connector pins from d-sub connectors, or ms-connector pins, and a simple little round board to support them. it can also sport a little tab or center hole/stand-off to hold down a cable strain relief.

finally, an even better plan, may be to simply make a pendant cable tied to the inside tube tester wiring, brought out to a 9 pin d-sub connector for easy interfacing.

all the best,
walter

Hi Walter,
I looked through the Eby web site and found no plugs of any kind. They do
have lots of sockets for tubes as well as for some transistors.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: walter2@sphere.bc.ca
------------------------------------

Hi Dennis,
is this the kind?
http://www.thetubestore.com/Parts-Accessories/7-Pin-Sockets/7-Pin-Teflon-Gold-Pin-Tube-Socket

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:53 PM, 'Dennis Tillman' dennis@ridesoft.com
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Posted by: "Dennis Tillman" <dennis@ridesoft.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Hi Cheater,
This is a socket (and an expensive one at that). This is the female part of what I am looking for. I'm looking for the plug that goes into this socket (the male part).

Dennis Tillman W7PF

[...]

Posted by: cheater00 cheater00 <cheater00@gmail.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Sure, I'm just wondering if that's the right dimensions. I was
thinking, maybe you should just take a female 7 pin DIN plug, and put
some wire in instead of the female contacts, and bend them out to fit
a 7 pin tube socket? That's like a 10 min job. You could use the round
plastic part from multiple din sockets for added stability. That's not
a huge job.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 1:39 AM, 'Dennis Tillman' dennis@ridesoft.com
[...]

David Holland

I wouldn't call it a proper "source", but the last 7-pin socket saver
I got was from Jim Cross @ http://vacuumtubesinc.com

I had to send him a note specifically for it, and he scrounged a
reasonable one up out of hits back room.

They've currently got a couple listed, but they aren't cheap.

His email is jim@vacuumtubesinc.com

(No affiliation, satisfied customer, yada-yada-yada)

David

Hi David,
He has a 7-pin socket saver listed for $25. You are right about him not being cheap.
Thanks for the link.
Dennis Tillman W7PF

I had to send him a note specifically for it, and he scrounged a reasonable one up out of hits back room.

They've currently got a couple listed, but they aren't cheap.

His email is jim@vacuumtubesinc.com

(No affiliation, satisfied customer, yada-yada-yada)

David

Posted by: David Holland <david.w.holland@gmail.com>

David Holland

Yeah. I think they're likey "usable-old-stock". (Hence my not really a
source comment)

I dont think anyone is making anything new besides the 8 pin octal and 9
pin ones everyone has.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM 'Dennis Tillman' dennis@ridesoft.com