Topics

Cover removal on a 2236 scope

jim huck

I am sure this is a one off problem but here goes.

I have a 2236 scope that I have owned since new. I am guessing that would be close to 40 years!

I went to remove the case to clean a few controls and switches but it won't come off. I have had no trouble in the past with any of my other Tek scopes removing the covers.

It appears to be stuck around the front plate.

Any chance they might have put tape or some adhesive to hold it in place?

Again .... the cover has never been off.

Any and all suggestions welcome before I get physical with it.

Thanks.......Jim

Page 6-25 of the service manual has instructions for removing the
cabinet. Make sure to get all 4 screws including the one on the
bottom front, the one on the right rear side, and the two on the back.
The whole rear panel should come off before the cabinet slides off.

On some of my 22xx oscilloscopes, the cabinets were really bound to
the chassis and took a lot of work to slide off.

On 13 Oct 2016 08:20:16 -0700, you wrote:

I am sure this is a one off problem but here goes.

I have a 2236 scope that I have owned since new. I am guessing that would be close to 40 years!

I went to remove the case to clean a few controls and switches but it won't come off. I have had no trouble in the past with any of my other Tek scopes removing the covers.

It appears to be stuck around the front plate.

Any chance they might have put tape or some adhesive to hold it in place?

Again .... the cover has never been off.

Any and all suggestions welcome before I get physical with it.

Thanks.......Jim

Tom Jobe <tomjobe@...>

As David has just described...
On a 2236 and there is one screw on the bottom front and one on the
right side rear of the outer case.
The rear cover has to obviously come off too.
tom jobe...

On 10/13/2016 9:38 AM, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

[...]

Just a follow up on my problem of removing the cover.

SOLVED......It appeared to be sticking at the bottom at the front so I covered the plastic with Kapton tape to prevent it from melting and heated up the blue case with my heat gun. The case came apart after the glue on a 4 inch long strip of double faced tape let go.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions

Jim