Topics

5k plugins

Hi,

Is there a problem with using a 5K plugin module to build a TM500 plugin prototype? If so , what?

Jerry Massengale

Ed Breya

I would just test fit one (with power and all covers off, of course) and see if it's mechanically right, and if the connector size, pitch, and location match. If it looks OK, then it should work, except that not all of the edge connector contacts on the board end may be easily accessible - any that are unused in the donor plug-in may have very short gold plated contact pads that dead-end just outside the connector zone.

If that's the case, you may have to do some fancy soldering work to tack lead wires onto them, without globbing up the contact area plating or causing mechanical interference to the connector. Whenever I have to do this, I carefully inspect the clearances first, then mask the fingers with painter's tape before soldering, leaving just enough exposed to tack the wires on. During soldering, you have to be careful to not overheat it or allow the solder to wick under the masking, or burn the plating off the board.

The opposite problem may be present too. Sometimes adjacent contacts are tied together on the board, even right between them. If you need them separated, you'll have to do some fancy cutting work to disconnect them, without mangling them up. The main thing is to preserve the nice clean contact surfaces to mate with the connector.

Ed

Bill (Doc) Courtright

They are physically compatible but the ID slots cut in the edge connector are not so as to prevent the accidental wrong mainframe use. No big deal. Just pull the blocking inserts out of the connectors or cut new slots. There double contact and plated thru connections to watch out for. If you haven't seen it, there is a 500 series backplane app manual on tekwiki. I have a custom PI somewhere that has the edge conn terminated in wirewrap terminals for custom builds. It has some odd protoboard mounted but easy to strip out. Don't remember what series it is and will check.
Bill, KB3DKS

-----Original Message-----
From: jerry massengale @jmassen418 [TekScopes] <TekScopes@...>

Hi,

Is there a problem with using a 5K plugin module to build a TM500 plugin prototype? If so , what?

Jerry Massengale

Hi,

Sounds like your are talking about the Pulse Instruments PI-451. It makes a great prototype base. I may have the model number wrong. My plan is to use one to house and power a cheapo curve tracer kit and feed its X-Y output to an MR or SC501 next slot.

Jerry Massengale

To: TekScopes <TekScopes@...>
Sent: Mon, Apr 18, 2016 8:53 pm
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 5k plugins

They are physically compatible but the ID slots cut in the edge connector are not so as to prevent the accidental wrong mainframe use. No big deal. Just pull the blocking inserts out of the connectors or cut new slots. There double contact and plated thru connections to watch out for. If you haven't seen it, there is a 500 series backplane app manual on tekwiki. I have a custom PI somewhere that has the edge conn terminated in wirewrap terminals for custom builds. It has some odd protoboard mounted but easy to strip out. Don't remember what series it is and will check.
Bill, KB3DKS

From: jerry massengale @jmassen418 [TekScopes] <TekScopes@...>

Hi,

Jerry Massengale

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jerry,
I built a curve tracer several years ago from a magazine article.Installed 2 triple-banana-jack sets, spaced to fit the Tek adapters.Added a switch to select which jacks to display.Display is X-Y to any scope, but a 7A22 works great for the vertical since I can control the bandwidth to eliminate the noise.
 HankC, Boston WA1HOS

EB4APL

Hank,

Could you publish your project, or at least the original schematics and
maybe some pictures?

Ignacio EB4APL

El 20/04/2016 a las 1:57, HankC @HankC [TekScopes] escribió:

Jerry,
I built a curve tracer several years ago from a magazine
article.Installed 2 triple-banana-jack sets, spaced to fit the Tek
adapters.Added a switch to select which jacks to display.Display is
X-Y to any scope, but a 7A22 works great for the vertical since I can
control the bandwidth to eliminate the noise.
HankC, Boston WA1HOS

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: HankC <@HankC>
------------------------------------------------------------------------