Topics

465 oscilloscope problem

Tewell, Kevin <tewell.ka@...>

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of ‎ interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Hi Kevin,

The fuse inside is for the CRT high voltage inverter. When this fuse is blown, it is usually due to a shorted tantalum capacitor located under the HV metal shield. It is C1419, a 47 uF cap. The fuse F1419 is a 1.5 amp fast blow. This is the 15 volt unregulated supply and normally runs around 22 volts depending on line voltage.

I would suggest going to Artekmanuals.com and getting a good copy of your service manual.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Regards

----- Original Message -----
To: tekscopes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2016 10:57 AM
Subject: [TekScopes] 465 oscilloscope problem

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of ‎ interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin

Will that be an orange dipped capacitor?

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 11:11 AM
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Reply To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 465 oscilloscope problem

Hi Kevin,

The fuse inside is for the CRT high voltage inverter. When this fuse is blown, it is usually due to a shorted tantalum capacitor located under the HV metal shield. It is C1419, a 47 uF cap. The fuse F1419 is a 1.5 amp fast blow. This is the 15 volt unregulated supply and normally runs around 22 volts depending on line voltage.

I would suggest going to Artekmanuals.com and getting a good copy of your service manual.

Regards

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

So is it the top or bottom red one? I think that is the c1419 you are talking about:)

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin

I tried to attach a photo

Original Message
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 1:48 PM

So is it the top or bottom red one? I think that is the c1419 you are talking about:)

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of ý interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

no attachments allowed.

you can upload pix to the Yahoo Group Photos section.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TekScopes@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 02 April 2016 18:50

Malcolm Hunter

On 2 April 2016 at 18:48, 'Tewell, Kevin' tewell.ka@pg.com [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

So is it the top or bottom red one? I think that is the c1419 you are
talking about:)

​It's the one in the top left-hand corner - just to the right of the
mounting hole. I also strongly recommend getting the manual from Artek -
it's only $6.95.

Malcolm​

This group does not allow attachments. Can you upload it to the photos section and reference it here?

Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2016 1:50 PM

Original Message
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 1:48 PM

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

I picked up a 465 scope above 250,000 serial number and the fuse was blown inside the scope so I replaced it and turned it on and it blow the fuse on the outside power line fuse. It checked the +55 and it is below 1 amp and ideas on what to check first and does anyone have a good clear copy of ý interface circuit board adjustment location mine are faded from the Manuel I got online. I am new to pcb boards I work on tube radios :)

Thanks Kevin

Yahoo Groups Links

I got the Manuel and found it. It has 2 capacitors going into the same 2 holes so if I replace it I use one 47 uF capacitor or two 47 uF capacitors

From: Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@gmail.com [TekScopes]
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 3:01 PM

it's only $6.95.

Malcolm​

John Clark

I'm not sure how relevant this is but Kevin also has a thread going over at the antiqueradio.com forums and someone there had him check the power supply rails with an ohm meter. His +55v rail measures less than an ohm between the rail and ground. I think Keven mentions this in his first post here but accidentally said 1amp instead of 1 ohm.

John

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

Thanks Kevin

Yahoo Groups Links

Sorry you are right it was 1 ohm I bet this makes a difference where I look doesn't it :( sorry....

Original Message
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 3:56 PM
Subject: RE: [TekScopes] 465 oscilloscope problem

I'm not sure how relevant this is but Kevin also has a thread going over at the antiqueradio.com forums and someone there had him check the power supply rails with an ohm meter. His +55v rail measures less than an ohm between the rail and ground. I think Keven mentions this in his first post here but accidentally said 1amp instead of 1 ohm.

John

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

Thanks Kevin

Yahoo Groups Links

Yahoo Groups Links

Here is the post I started on antique radio forum I figured you guys would be the experts.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&;t=297069

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 3:58 PM

Sorry you are right it was 1 ohm I bet this makes a difference where I look doesn't it :( sorry....

Original Message

John

Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

Thanks Kevin

Yahoo Groups Links

Yahoo Groups Links

When you make a resistance measurement of the power rails, you should take the reading then swap the leads and re-measure. Sometimes there is a diode to ground in reverse to protect the supply from faults on the other rails.

Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2016 4:07 PM

Here is the post I started on antique radio forum I figured you guys would be the experts.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&;t=297069

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 3:58 PM

Original Message

John

>Hi Kevin,

Regards

Hi

Thanks Kevin

Yahoo Groups Links

Yahoo Groups Links

Check across with an ohmmeter for a short.

I think some scopes had two 22 uF caps in parallel. One 47 uF / 35 volt will do fine.

Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2016 3:49 PM

I got the Manuel and found it. It has 2 capacitors going into the same 2 holes so if I replace it I use one 47 uF capacitor or two 47 uF capacitors

> So is it the top or bottom red one? I think that is the c1419 you are
> talking about:)

it's only $6.95.

Malcolm​

Will any type of capacitor work as a replacement.

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:33 PM

I think some scopes had two 22 uF caps in parallel. One 47 uF / 35 volt will do fine.

it's only $6.95.

Malcolm​

I put photos of ‎on the link below showing C1534 should it gave metal on both sides or should it be like the photos. Also after a cut a leg how should I check for a short????

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&;t=297069&start=40

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:37 PM

it's only $6.95.

Malcolm​

Ed Breya

If I see the right pictures, what's being held in the fingers is a wet tantalum capacitor, which is kind of special. One end is the bottom of the can, and the other is the positive Ta electrode wire going through a rubbery elastomer seal to the Ta slug inside. The typical failure mode for these is that the electrolyte - which is sulfuric acid - leaks out through the seal and corrodes the lead and possibly surrounding circuitry. Be careful in handling or opening up these kind to look inside - the acid is dangerous, but OK if diluted with plenty of water.

It looks like you have cut the Ta anode lead, which renders the cap unusable, even it's still good. The dark brownish/bluish/blackish Ta lead is bonded to the Ta slug inside, and is resistant to the sulfuric acid, but it can't be soldered. It is usually fairly short, after exiting the seal, and is butt-welded to a steel wire to make a solderable lead. The can end lead is no problem - it can be soldered on its entire length. Whenever these are pulled, it's best to unsolder from the board if you plan to put it back.

I'm not familiar with the 465, so don't know the application here. Usually you can replace the old wet Ta caps with other alternatives. I'm sure others here will know exactly what to do.

You can find lots of info about all the issues with Ta caps by searching the archives - it's a pretty common subject.

So what do I replace it with?

Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 5:27 PM

If I see the right pictures, what's being held in the fingers is a wet tantalum capacitor, which is kind of special. One end is the bottom of the can, and the other is the positive Ta electrode wire going through a rubbery elastomer seal to the Ta slug inside. The typical failure mode for these is that the electrolyte - which is sulfuric acid - leaks out through the seal and corrodes the lead and possibly surrounding circuitry. Be careful in handling or opening up these kind to look inside - the acid is dangerous, but OK if diluted with plenty of water.

It looks like you have cut the Ta anode lead, which renders the cap unusable, even it's still good. The dark brownish/bluish/blackish Ta lead is bonded to the Ta slug inside, and is resistant to the sulfuric acid, but it can't be soldered. It is usually fairly short, after exiting the seal, and is butt-welded to a steel wire to make a solderable lead. The can end lead is no problem - it can be soldered on its entire length. Whenever these are pulled, it's best to unsolder from the board if you plan to put it back.

I'm not familiar with the 465, so don't know the application here. Usually you can replace the old wet Ta caps with other alternatives. I'm sure others here will know exactly what to do.

You can find lots of info about all the issues with Ta caps by searching the archives - it's a pretty common subject.

Ed Breya

Usually common aluminum or solid tantalum electrolytic caps, depending on the application and ratings needed. As I said, I don't know the application here, but I'm sure others here with 465s will respond soon with advice. I can say that it's unlikely that the original cap even had to be wet Ta - they are special, but were more commonly used back then, usually to save space because of their high C-V product. They are essential though, in certain low-leakage, higher voltage, higher temperature applications, which are unlikely to be encountered in a scope.

Ed

Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2016 4:36 PM

> So is it the top or bottom red one? I think that is the c1419 you are
> talking about:)