Topics

465 foot 3d model

Malcolm Hunter

Hi,

I modeled a replacement cable-wrap foot (actually for my spares 475). It's
on Thingiverse if anyone would like to make use of it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1410827

I just needed something to stop the scope from tipping over. I used PLA,
which is good enough for that. I'm not sure what would be the best material
to print it with and how well it would hold up in general use.

Malcolm

Tom Gardner

On 12/03/16 18:14, Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@gmail.com [TekScopes] wrote:

I modeled a replacement cable-wrap foot (actually for my spares 475). It's
on Thingiverse if anyone would like to make use of it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1410827

I just needed something to stop the scope from tipping over. I used PLA,
which is good enough for that. I'm not sure what would be the best material
to print it with and how well it would hold up in general use.
I would expect
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic
to be a good starting point.

John Clark

Malcom, those look great!

FYI, There's a guy selling reproduction feet for the 4xx scopes on eBay (not the lathe-turned round ones‎.) I won't name him since he didn't give me permission but some of you probably know him. He doesn't always have them listed but I'll just say they're absolutely fantastic. They are identical to the originals but with a bit harder plastic. He sells them for $25 for a set. Their only downside (and it's very minor at that) is that one side is a bit unfinished due to how they are cast but the set I put on my 475 look and work great.

As a side note, I sent him some 335 & 314 feet to reproduce and, in my opinion, he did a fine job on them, though he wasn't as happy with the end product so he decided not to continue making any more. On these particular feet the rough side ended up having to be the face/bottom of the feet and he didn't like the way they turned out. Since the 335/314 feet are unavailable anywhere (and they're worse than the 4xx feet for breaking) ‎I am 100% satisfied with them. It's off topic for this thread but if anyone is interested in 335/314 feet let me know off list. If there are enough out there maybe he'll make some more for us, casting imperfections aside.

John

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 smartphone.
I modeled a replacement cable-wrap foot (actually for my spares 475). It's
on Thingiverse if anyone would like to make use of it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1410827

I just needed something to stop the scope from tipping over. I used PLA,
which is good enough for that. I'm not sure what would be the best material
to print it with and how well it would hold up in general use.

Malcolm

Malcolm Hunter

On 12 March 2016 at 18:41, John Clark johnclark05@outlook.com [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Malcom, those look great!

​Thanks. I plan to add the 2mm nodules to keep the power cable in place.​

FYI, There's a guy selling reproduction feet for the 4xx scopes on eBay
(not the lathe-turned round ones‎.) I won't name him since he didn't give
me permission but some of you probably know him. He doesn't always have
them listed but I'll just say they're absolutely fantastic. They are
identical to the originals but with a bit harder plastic. He sells them for
$25 for a set. Their only downside (and it's very minor at that) is that
one side is a bit unfinished due to how they are cast but the set I put on
my 475 look and work great.

​Yes, I had those on my watch-list for a while​. They look pretty good and
made of a tough material, though I managed to get some original ones for my
465B from a very helpful chap on this list.

Malcolm

On 12 Mar 2016, at 19:41, John Clark johnclark05@outlook.com [TekScopes] <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
As a side note, I sent him some 335 & 314 feet to reproduce and, in my opinion, he did a fine job on them, though he wasn't as happy with the end product so he decided not to continue making any more. On these particular feet the rough side ended up having to be the face/bottom of the feet and he didn't like the way they turned out. Since the 335/314 feet are unavailable anywhere (and they're worse than the 4xx feet for breaking) ‎I am 100% satisfied with them. It's off topic for this thread but if anyone is interested in 335/314 feet let me know off list. If there are enough out there maybe he'll make some more for us, casting imperfections aside.
Any chance you can create a 3D model of a 335 foot? I'd like to try to print some for my 335 whose feet were completely perished when I got it.

--
Soren

Malcolm Hunter

On 12 March 2016 at 19:22, Soren Jorvang soren@jorvang.dk [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Any chance you can create a 3D model of a 335 foot? I'd like to try to
print some for my 335 whose feet were completely perished when I got it.
​I don't have an original foot to work from, so that wouldn't be feasible
I'm afraid. If someone wants to send me one, I could work from that (I'm in
the UK). The 465 foot only took a couple of hours. It's not a perfect copy,
but close enough to be quite functional.

Malcolm

Malcolm​

John Clark

I do have a few 314/335 feet now but I'm clueless when it comes to the 3D modeling software. I'm good at a lot of things but 3D drawing has never been one of them. I installed Sketchup a while back for another project I wanted someone to print for me but finally gave up after it kicked my behind. Makes me feel like an idiot, too, since everything I read about it says it's so easy to use.

John

On 12 March 2016 at 20:39, John Clark johnclark05@outlook.com [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I do have a few 314/335 feet now but I'm clueless when it comes to the 3D
modeling software. I'm good at a lot of things but 3D drawing has never
been one of them. I installed Sketchup a while back for another project I
wanted someone to print for me but finally gave up after it kicked my
behind. Makes me feel like an idiot, too, since everything I read about it
says it's so easy to use.

​If you could take photos from all angles and provide exact dimensions​, I
could have a go at it.

Malcolm