Topics

Probes for 2445A

Malcolm Hunter

Hi,

Before I spend $200 on 4 P6133 probes (ebay #351442258034) shipped to the
UK, am I getting the correct ones for my Tek 2445A? Is that a good price?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Colin Herbert

Yes, I think so. In future, you could always take a peek here:

http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/probes/tekprobes.html

You'll find a wealth of info on Tek probes, including compatibility,
original prices, eBay prices, etc..

Colin

From: TekScopes@...
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:56:17 +0000

Hi,

Before I spend $200 on 4 P6133 probes (ebay #351442258034) shipped to the

UK, am I getting the correct ones for my Tek 2445A? Is that a good price?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Malcolm,
I confirmed to the seller that I would like to buy them if they are good (cable etc.)
The seller is on this Marktplaats for 6.5 years, which usually means that they are ok. He's got some other "serious/professional" stuff for sale ATM as well.
I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

You know there are several versions of these probes? Firstly, there are different cable lengths: These are all "nice and short" 1.3m length, i.e. highest BW. Also, there's an Option 25 (I think), which has the larger, more traditional (6 mm) tip. AFAI could see, these are not Option 25.

Should you want to (start with) a spare cable: There's one for sale "brand new" from Israel on Ebay # 231844909513.

Raymond

Malcolm Hunter

On 16 February 2016 at 20:12, John Clark johnclark05@...
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:

I found the old Tek catalogs very helpful for this. The latest catalog
available on the TekWiki site is from 2000 but on page 500 it lists the
suggested replacement probes for the discontinued instruments, including
the 2445A.

<http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Tek_Catalogs>
​Thanks. These seem to be quite specific and don't mention that you can use
a P6131 on a 2445A (for example).

Malcolm​

Malcolm Hunter

On 16 February 2016 at 20:23, @Raymond [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

I confirmed to the seller that I would like to buy them if they are good
(cable etc.)
The seller is on this Marktplaats for 6.5 years, which usually means that
they are ok. He's got some other "serious/professional" stuff for sale ATM
as well.
I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

​Thanks Raymond​

You know there are several versions of these probes? Firstly, there are
different cable lengths: These are all "nice and short" 1.3m length, i.e.
highest BW. Also, there's an Option 25 (I think), which has the larger,
more traditional (6 mm) tip. AFAI could see, these are not Option 25.

​I thought that was the P6133 with the Option 25?

Should you want to (start with) a spare cable: There's one for sale "brand
new" from Israel on Ebay # 231844909513.
​Tempting. I might get that if I have a P6131 complete - it's a 2 metre.

Malcolm​

it's a 2 metre.

Yeah, I had seen that and I'm not sure if it could be accomodated in a 1.3m without component change. These probes have several adjustments "under the hood", for those with the right equipment.

Re Probe suitability:

Googling "Tektronix P6131" shows a link to a useful pdf at Tek.com. In my Google results, it's at #2.

Raymond

That is about the same price as a new Chinese made Texas probe which
would also work. Texas is either the OEM for the current crop of
Keysight oscilloscope probes (and Rigol and probably others) or they
are both made by the same company.

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-new-250MHZ-Oscilloscope-clip-probes-w-readout-pin-/220306079644>

If you buy those, then you get all the little probe tip accessories as
well. They have two high frequency adjustments on the compensation
box so they can be adapted to different oscilloscopes although I did
not have to adjust mine for use below 200 MHz.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:56:17 +0000, you wrote:

Hi,

Before I spend $200 on 4 P6133 probes (ebay #351442258034) shipped to the
UK, am I getting the correct ones for my Tek 2445A? Is that a good price?

Thanks,
Malcolm

I found these two P6131s in the States: #361487515390 and #121890749622
AFAI can see, this is the same item twice. Same photograph even or am I wrong? I share your views on the way the cable is tied. One of the worst things one can do to probe cables is cause damage by torsion.

David H is right where he states that all the accessories would be there with the (new) Texas probes.
Disadvantages of these Texas probes: More expensive than our most recently addressed items, less flexible cable, slightly bigger probe body.
The P6131 (and other probes in this family) allows HF adjustment as well, after removing the plastic cover of the attenuator block. This is how you "modify"the probes for better behaviour with non-24XX 'scopes.

Raymond

n4buq

One has a small broken spot on the housing on one side and a sticker on the other. The other one has neither. Unless they removed the sticker (the side that's broken would be face down in the other picture so that's hard to tell), I think they're different.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

I found these two P6131s in the States: #361487515390 and #121890749622
AFAI can see, this is the same item twice. Same photograph even or am I
wrong? I share your views on the way the cable is tied. One of the worst
things one can do to probe cables is cause damage by torsion.

David H is right where he states that all the accessories would be there with
the (new) Texas probes.
Disadvantages of these Texas probes: More expensive than our most recently
addressed items, less flexible cable, slightly bigger probe body.
The P6131 (and other probes in this family) allows HF adjustment as well,
after removing the plastic cover of the attenuator block. This is how you
"modify"the probes for better behaviour with non-24XX 'scopes.

Raymond

Malcolm Hunter

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are different.

Malcolm

On 16 February 2016 10:29:04 p.m. "Barry n4buq@... [TekScopes]"
<TekScopes@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry to have caused the noise. Doing too many things at the same time (freq. compens. aof a 7A26 as well) and it's almost midnight here. I guess I should stop...

Raymond

Malcolm Hunter

However the second one has damage to the plastic of the connector as well
as a crack in the casing.

I'd opt for the Texas probes if the Tek ones were over $50 each, but I do
prefer the Tek. It also appeals to my slightly OCD nature.

Malcolm

<TekScopes@...> wrote:

[...]

I did reply directly to you, but your replies came back to the list. Not
sure why that happened.

Malcolm