Topics

External TO-3 Cover for Tek equipment on Ebay right now

If I recall correctly, a few months ago somebody was looking for the plastic
/ rubber cover for a TO-3 transistor that was mounted on the outside of a
rear panel of a piece of Tek equipment.

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of $4.75.
There are 3 available at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-200-0692-00-Transistor-Cover-/361316897529
?hash=item54202a52f9:g:xjYAAOSwpdpVdyUo

I have no connection with the seller, etc.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

n4buq

While it's not the TEK part, wouldn't one of these work?

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey4634

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

If I recall correctly, a few months ago somebody was looking for the plastic
/ rubber cover for a TO-3 transistor that was mounted on the outside of a
rear panel of a piece of Tek equipment.

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of $4.75.
There are 3 available at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-200-0692-00-Transistor-Cover-/361316897529
?hash=item54202a52f9:g:xjYAAOSwpdpVdyUo

I have no connection with the seller, etc.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Hi Barry,
Yes, this would work as well although it does not LOOK like the Tek part. Some collectors prefer to replace missing parts with New Old Stock (NOS) parts from Tek.
Dennis Tillman W7PF

If I recall correctly, a few months ago somebody was looking for the
plastic / rubber cover for a TO-3 transistor that was mounted on the
outside of a rear panel of a piece of Tek equipment.

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of $4.75.
There are 3 available at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-200-0692-00-Transistor-Cover-/361316
897529 ?hash=item54202a52f9:g:xjYAAOSwpdpVdyUo

I have no connection with the seller, etc.
Dennis Tillman W7PF
------------------------------------
Posted by: Barry <n4buq@...>
------------------------------------

n4buq

Hi Dennis,

I suspected as much. I was just making sure it was indeed form over function in this case as the other way's cheaper! :)

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

If I recall correctly, a few months ago somebody was looking for the
plastic / rubber cover for a TO-3 transistor that was mounted on the
outside of a rear panel of a piece of Tek equipment.

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of
$4.75.
There are 3 available at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-200-0692-00-Transistor-Cover-/361316
897529 ?hash=item54202a52f9:g:xjYAAOSwpdpVdyUo

I have no connection with the seller, etc.
Dennis Tillman W7PF
------------------------------------
Posted by: Barry <n4buq@...>
------------------------------------

Malcolm Hunter

Thanks Dennis, these were available when I was asking but I thought that it
was a lot to pay for only one. I bought these instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390959168464

Malcolm

On 10 February 2016 at 00:57, 'Dennis Tillman' @Dennis_Tillman_W7pF
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:

If I recall correctly, a few months ago somebody was looking for the
plastic
/ rubber cover for a TO-3 transistor that was mounted on the outside of a
rear panel of a piece of Tek equipment.

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of
$4.75.
There are 3 available at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-200-0692-00-Transistor-Cover-/361316897529
?hash=item54202a52f9:g:xjYAAOSwpdpVdyUo

I have no connection with the seller, etc.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Tothwolf

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Thanks Dennis, these were available when I was asking but I thought that it was a lot to pay for only one. I bought these instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390959168464
That was a pretty good deal. I bought the same insulators from Mouser not too long ago. The two #6 splitlock washers they include for use as spacers are type 304 (A2, 18/8) stainless steel.

hpxref

There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of
$4.75.
There are 3 available at
Beware of the plastic ones if they are old stock
They get hard with age and either wont clip on at all , or stay on the T03 case
for long.
I had a boxful of them like that, bought new years ago for a production job that ive just thrown out
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 50 of them
Be warned

John

Hi John,
Good point. The rubber ones are better. Or it may be best to buy new ones after all
Dennis Tillman W7PF

>There is one of these on Ebay at the moment for a Buy It Now price of $4.75.
>There are 3 available at

Beware of the plastic ones if they are old stock They get hard with age and either wont clip on at all , or stay on the
T03 case
for long.
I had a boxful of them like that, bought new years ago for a production job that ive just thrown out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 50 of them Be warned

John
------------------------------------
Posted by: JOHN BYERS <face1941@...>
------------------------------------

Tothwolf

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 'Dennis Tillman' @Dennis_Tillman_W7pF [TekScopes] wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, JOHN BYERS face1941@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Beware of the plastic ones if they are old stock They get hard with age and either wont clip on at all , or stay on the T03 case for long.
I had a boxful of them like that, bought new years ago for a production job that ive just thrown out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 50 of them Be warned
Hi John,
Good point. The rubber ones are better. Or it may be best to buy new ones after all
Some plastics are fairly stable, especially the glass-reinforced blends. I would expect this to be more of a problem with covers made of nylon.

Jack Reynolds

Hello John,
Having spent many years making automotive parts by injection molding
plastic, please allow me to share some information. The plastic
fasteners which are used to hold interior door trim panels to door inner
sheet metal have been made from nylon for years because of its strength
and toughness. It is also notoriously hygroscopic meaning that it will
pick up moisture. When it is allowed to dry out completely over time, it
will first become brittle and then finally crack if left dry long
enough. Classic car restorers are quite familiar with this as many an
Anglo Saxon phrase has been muttered when trying to remove door trim
panels from some old beauty without breaking the "clips" as they are
commonly called. In order to counteract this problem in nylon parts
which might be stored for a while, it has become standard in the
industry to require that the parts in bulk be shipped in a sealed
plastic bag to which some moisture has been added intentionally. As
long as the bag is kept sealed or resealed when opened, the nylon parts
will last indefinitely. The lesson here is that if you have old nylon
parts they likely can be resoftened by sealing in a plastic bag with
some water and allowed to rest. The fifty pieces mentioned here might
have been salvageable by this method. I hope this helps some of you.
Jack Reynolds