Topics

OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Richard R. Pope

Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!

ArtekManuals

Uninstall WIN-8 and instal WIN-7
WIN-8 was an Alpha test and WIN-10 is the worlds largest BETA test
Wait another year till WIN-10 has an update

Dave
ArtekManuals.com

--
Dave
Manuals@...

Simple. Upgrade. A few disadvantages (notably the push-updates and lack of privacy if you choose default settings) but better user experience overall.
I have upgraded 4 machines so far. All positive experiences.

Raymond

Geoffrey Thomas

On 08/02/2016 20:53, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!

ArtekManuals

Depends on what software you run... I upgraded ONE machine and was plagued with lockups... I reverted back to WIN-7 ... I will wait till Service pack 1 comes out even if I have to pay for WIN-10 by then...why do you think they are giving away WIN-10 upgrades?

Dave
ArtekManuals

On 2/8/2016 4:00 PM, @Raymond [TekScopes] wrote:
Simple. Upgrade. A few disadvantages (notably the push-updates and lack
of privacy if you choose default settings) but better user experience
overall.
I have upgraded 4 machines so far. All positive experiences.

Raymond
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

I'm not going into a fight over this. I prefer playing Tek. As a professional user and consultant on mostly win-7, a few win-8.x installations, now some Win-10, my position is as follows:

Win-7: Good, the best until then
Win-8.0: Get rid of it ASAP,
Win-8.1: Better than 8.0 but same advice
Win-10: Use it.

I've done several upgrades to Win-10, mostly from Win-7. To my surprise, it's better (more stable, more compatible(!), more mature in its features, tiles not a real problem).
The few upgrades from Win-8.x were no-brainers.
In all, I find Win-10 well worth upgrading to, though not necessary from Win-7. Win-10 has the few disadvantages as mentioned in my first post. It's up to you how important those are.

Raymond

Geoffrey Thomas

On 08/02/2016 20:53, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!

.why do you think they are giving away WIN-10 upgrades?
Certainly not because they know it's bad. Maybe because they make people get rid of and forget about 8.x. Lack of privacy may be another "feature", desirable for MS. Fewer OS'es to support. Better for professional use (more like 7, even XP than like 8, which is a buggy toy.
To my personal surprise, the usual "wait for Service Pack 1" doesn't apply for me. Personally, I'd like things like default lack of privacy and push-updates to revert to become more user-oriented.

Raymond

Geoffrey Thomas

On 08/02/2016 21:21, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
I am going with 8.1 because I believe that 7 is on the way out and
in less than a year it will no longer be supported the same as XP. It
already is no longer available for OEM installation by Dell, HP and
others. I wondered about 10 and I will be waiting. I will hide it so
that it is not longer an option. Would you like to see pictures of my
new system?
Thanks,
rich!
P.S. I appreciate your large library of manuals.
Thanks,
rich!

Richard R. Pope

On 2/8/2016 3:00 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

Uninstall WIN-8 and instal WIN-7
WIN-8 was an Alpha test and WIN-10 is the worlds largest BETA test
Wait another year till WIN-10 has an update

Dave
ArtekManuals.com

On 2/8/2016 3:53 PM, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of
experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I
installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I
please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

---

Posted by: Artek Manuals <Manuals@...>

Hi,

I uninstalled WIN10 early as it was too slow and too app. I recently retried the new WIN10 version and am happy with it.

Jerry Massengale

WIN-8 was an Alpha test and WIN-10 is the worlds largest BETA test
Wait another year till WIN-10 has an update

Dave
ArtekManuals.com

On 2/8/2016 3:53 PM, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of
experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I
installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I
please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Malcolm Hunter

On 8 February 2016 at 20:53, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of
experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I
installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I
please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
​Slight problems upgrading my Windows 7 laptop (didn't allow me to use my
local profile). Now working well, though ​did have a few teething problems
with Windows updates not completing. I love it - it's like Windows 7 with
some of the nice features from 8.1. I liked it so much I upgraded my gaming
PC and have had no problems whatsoever with that. I'm an IT consultant and
use PCs all day and for recreation. I would definitely recommend upgrading
from 8.1.

Malcolm

And this is why:
"microsoft_vendors_join_in_perfect_harmony_to_praise_windows_10" http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/18/microsoft_vendors_join_in_perfect_harmony_to_praise_windows_10/

Windows has always suffered from reliability and speed issues through (in)compatibility issues with third - and fourth etc - party hardware and driver software, in contrast with Apple's mostly closed world.
The best way to improve for MS is to lose and forget about older versions and fight harder for compatibility.
I realise that I sound like a devil's advocate (yes, I attribute MS some devlish behaviour). I use and both like and dislike both Win and OS X. I like both in their own ways and features and I've seen Apple's "fairweather stance" in all its aspects and MS's struggle with compatibility.

I'm sorry, I said I wouldn't get involved in my first post and will follow through now.

Raymond

Ed Breya

While we're on the subject, I have a question. Is it possible to set up Win 10 to look like Win XP - actually more like "Windows Classic" for lack of a better name? I like the interface with a good old-fashioned desktop with lean, rectangular windows, and little tiny icons - not the stupid artsy-fartsy bubbly 3-D effect stuff that just wastes space and attention. A few years ago I bought a new laptop PC when everything was pretty much already selling with Win 8. I hated the interface with the big buttons and crap - it looked like a kiosk in a mall. Rather than take a chance that it would not allow it to roll back to looking like a computer, I had to pay extra to get an older machine that still had Win 7 - they were already selling at a premium, apparently due to demand from others who may have thought the same, or had other issues with Win 8.

Ed

Here I go again...

Ed,
Is it possible to set up Win 10 to look like Win XP
Yes, AFAIK. Configure Win-10 as though your machine has fewer visual capabilities. It's been possible with previous Win-versions as well. In Win-7 it's in Control Panel, Performance Options, Visual Effects. It will not be exactly XP but have simpler looks and graphical features that you desire. MS does not allow the use of a very limited machine for Win-10, so I don't know how Retro you can go.
Can't say precisely where in Win-10. I have to admit I'm sitting in front of a not-yet-upgraded Win-7 machine. Only reason is lack of time yet and critical machine with users on separate disk, so possibly a bit tricky. No other Win-machine in sight, just Apple OS X...

Raymond

ArtekManuals

IMO .if history is any indication WIN-7 will be supported for at least another 3-5 years

Just last week , I had to take my WIN-XP laptop out of mothballs because WIN-7/PRO/64 wouldn't run a 16bit DOS based application I needed for a piece of legacy hardware

If your only running MS based software (Word, IE, Xcel, etc) then go ahead if you have a piece of non MS software you truly love , I would contact the developer to see if it is supported in WIN-10 before I went that way
Dave
NR1DX

wrote:

> Uninstall WIN-8 and instal WIN-7
> WIN-8 was an Alpha test and WIN-10 is the worlds largest BETA test
> Wait another year till WIN-10 has an update
>
> Dave
> ArtekManuals.com
>
> On 2/8/2016 3:53 PM, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of
> > experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I
> > installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I
> > please get thoughts on this.
> > Thanks,
> > rich!
> >

> --
> Dave
> Manuals@...
> www.ArtekManuals.com
>
> ---

> Posted by: Artek Manuals <Manuals@...>

Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Richard R. Pope

Dave,
How long was it between the time that WinXP was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 4:01 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

IMO .if history is any indication WIN-7 will be supported for at least
another 3-5 years

Just last week , I had to take my WIN-XP laptop out of mothballs because
WIN-7/PRO/64 wouldn't run a 16bit DOS based application I needed for a
piece of legacy hardware

If your only running MS based software (Word, IE, Xcel, etc) then go
ahead if you have a piece of non MS software you truly love , I would
contact the developer to see if it is supported in WIN-10 before I went
that way
Dave
NR1DX

Richard R. Pope

Raymond,
I like the way 8.1 looks. I guess that is just me. My big thing was
that I had to replace my hardware. I don't buy the pre-made systems. I
am a power user and I always build custom systems. None of my previous
systems had the necessary hardware to support anything beyond 7.
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 3:54 PM, @Raymond [TekScopes] wrote:

Here I go again...

Ed,
Is it possible to set up Win 10 to look like Win XP
Yes, AFAIK. Configure Win-10 as though your machine has fewer visual
capabilities. It's been possible with previous Win-versions as well.
In Win-7 it's in Control Panel, Performance Options, Visual Effects.
It will not be exactly XP but have simpler looks and graphical
features that you desire. MS does not allow the use of a very limited
machine for Win-10, so I don't know how Retro you can go.
Can't say precisely where in Win-10. I have to admit I'm sitting in
front of a not-yet-upgraded Win-7 machine. Only reason is lack of time
yet and critical machine with users on separate disk, so possibly a
bit tricky. No other Win-machine in sight, just Apple OS X...

Raymond

Richard R. Pope

Raymond,
When you have a mostly closed system it is easy to make pretty much
everything compatible. This also limits the appeal. Since the PC
hardware and to a lesser extent the OS is a open system there is a huge
market advantage in that, even with some of the hardware and software
issues. True, MS is not the most responsive company in the world but
when you consider the huge amount of hardware and software that will run
even going back to some of the early CPUs they have done a reasonable
job. This is my opinion.
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 3:40 PM, @Raymond [TekScopes] wrote:

[...]

Hi Geoff,
Not true.
Office 2016 is out in subscription form or in full retail form just like
Office 2013.