From: Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@... [TekScopes]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 07:01
To: TekScopes@...
Reply To: TekScopes@...
Subject: [TekScopes] OT: QService components

Hi,

Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm

Malcolm Hunter

On 25 January 2016 at 12:34, John Clark johnclark05@... [TekScopes]
<TekScopes@...> wrote:

No, it's not you. I've found the same smell in the two items I've ordered
too. It's pretty bad.

​One of the items is a fan for my 2445A. The smell isn't too strong at the
moment - hopefully when it's installed, warmed up and blowing it doesn't
become noticeable. It's not very professional :(

Malcolm​

stefan_trethan

Lol, we had a very small electronics mail order here, over the years
you could smell how his habit increased.
The man is out of business now.

Better be careful or they'll get you for not paying the import duty on
your tobacco products ;-).

ST

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM, John Clark johnclark05@...
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:
No, it's not you. I've found the same smell in the two items I've ordered too. It's pretty bad.

John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm

------------------------------------
Posted by: John Clark <johnclark05@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Marian B

Putting the smelly stuff into a bag with some (cheap!) coffee powder (I
used cheap coffee ground very finely, like espresso, to great success)
for a week or two usually helps.

Pro: Doesn't smell like tobacco anymore
Con: Tends to smell like coffee

Some plastics take longer than others. One of the used Weller tools I
bought took nearly a month in the bag until the silicone cabling didn't
smell like a chainsmoker anymore. Replacing the coffee powder every week
helps, too.

Cheers,
Marian

PS: Yeah, in a town nearby there was also a small electronics shop
operated by someone you could easily confuse for a chain-smoking Gimli.
He was very nice and would always help you troubleshoot circuits and
kits right on his counter. I think he died a few years ago :/

[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:
No, it's not you. I've found the same smell in the two items I've
ordered too. It's pretty bad.

John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm

------------------------------------
Posted by: John Clark <johnclark05@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Brad Thompson

On 1/25/2016 7:00 AM, Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@...
[TekScopes] wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?
Hello--

You might try placing the fan in a sealable plastic bag along with some
sheets
of unused fabric softener as used in clothes dryers. Another approach
substitutes
ground coffee (contained in a mesh bag) for the dryer sheets. Buy cheap,
strong,
severely-roasted coffee and discard after a few days. Both methods work with
stinky books.

73--

Brad AA1IP

n4buq

I've ordered from them with no problems. I assume what you got was a spare part pulled from an older piece of gear (as that's a lot of what they sell). I figure they don't take time to clean/restore items like that and the residue is from the item's past life.

Of course, if this were something like a knob, etc., any residue would be fairly easy to remove and a fan might be a bit more difficult. Good luck with it.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:00:48 +0000, you wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm
I noticed the same thing. The strong smell of tobacco reminded me of
my grandfather.

Malcolm Hunter

On 25 January 2016 at 14:01, Barry n4buq@... [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

I've ordered from them with no problems. I assume what you got was a spare
part pulled from an older piece of gear (as that's a lot of what they
sell). I figure they don't take time to clean/restore items like that and
the residue is from the item's past life.

Of course, if this were something like a knob, etc., any residue would be
fairly easy to remove and a fan might be a bit more difficult. Good luck
with it.
​I received several items, all individually sealed in grip seal bags. They
all have a faint whiff of smoke and the jiffy bag it was shipped in smells
of smoke too. ​I'm not too bothered as long as I it's not too pungent when
the fan is fitted and running. It's just disappointing - not what you
expect from a business these days.

Malcolm

Colin Herbert

I have also purchased stuff from Qservice. It was a brand-new knob and
didn't smell at all; neither did the Ziplok bag. It turned out to not be the
correct knob, but that's another story...

David, I do hope that you mean that your grandfather was a smoker, not a
humidor! Just joking..

Colin.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:00:48 +0000, you wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm
I noticed the same thing. The strong smell of tobacco reminded me of
my grandfather.

Ed Breya

The best deodorizer is hydrogen peroxide solution - it works on most organic residue (even skunk juice). Just put some standard 3% H2O2 solution in an aerosol pump spray bottle and mist it onto the surfaces, then wipe and air-dry the item thoroughly before use.

Ed

Hi Malcom,
I have bought from them several times and never encountered a tobacco smell.
I would have remembered if I had, since I have been a non-smoker all my
life. My dad was a lifelong cigar smoker and I can't stand the smell of
cigars to this day. Apparently we have a lot of non-smokers in the forum
judging from the comments I am seeing.

Someone else mentioned QService is out of business but I don't think that is
the case since they are still selling on Ebay and they have an active web
site at
http://www.qservice.eu/

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Has anyone else ordered items from QService in Greece? I just received my
first order from them and everything smells of stale tobacco smoke. Is it
just me?

Malcolm

------------------------------------
Posted by: Malcolm Hunter <malcolm.r.hunter@...>
------------------------------------

Hi Dennis,
Someone else mentioned QService is out of business
I think you're referring to Stefans T.'s message. He wasn't referring to QService:

Lol, we had a very small electronics mail order here, over the years
> you could smell how his habit increased.
> The man is out of business now.
I've been a non-smoker all my life. I've purchased a few items from QService, one being a pretty large PCB (TDS520 logic board) in an antistatic bag. I can't remember them smelling of smoke.

Raymond

Torch Fireman

On 25/01/2016 3:06 PM, 'Dennis Tillman' @Dennis_Tillman_W7PF [TekScopes] wrote:

Apparently we have a lot of non-smokers in the forum
judging from the comments I am seeing.
If you read the "Tektronics and You" employee manual, you will discover that the tobacco smoke smell is OEM. ;-)

Brad Thompson

On 1/25/2016 3:06 PM, 'Dennis Tillman' @Dennis_Tillman_W7PF [TekScopes] wrote:

Hi Malcom,
I have bought from them several times and never encountered a tobacco smell.
I would have remembered if I had, since I have been a non-smoker all my
life. My dad was a lifelong cigar smoker and I can't stand the smell of
cigars to this day. Apparently we have a lot of non-smokers in the forum
judging from the comments I am seeing.
<snip>

Hello--

Back in the late 1980s, I served as a technical editor for Test & Measurement World magazine
which shared open-office space with EDN magazine, both Cahners publications at that time.
Cahners had an explicit "smoking allowed" policy, and a certain EDN editor smoked cigars.

As a nonsmoker I recall asking, on several occasions, "Is that a good cigar, or do I smell a transformer fire?"

It was unclear whether the editor in question was Not Amused, but he couldn't fire me<g>.

(Come to think of it, a transformer fire smells better than a cigar....)

73--

Brad AA1IP