Topics

Recommendations / 2247A

John Dickens

I have my eye on a 2247A on Craigslist that looks very clean and appears to be fully functional.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this scope - reliable, repairable, etc.? It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a 7603 and a 2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.

Thanks, John

I do not have any complaints about mine. The 2247A duplicates the
universal timer/counter functions found in your 2236. Calibration is
*not* done digitally so there are no worries about dead batteries or
floating gate storage memory like with the 24xx oscilloscopes.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:45:59 -0600, you wrote:

I have my eye on a 2247A on Craigslist that looks very clean and appears to be fully functional.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this scope - reliable, repairable, etc.? It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a 7603 and a 2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.

Thanks, John

Tom Jobe <tomjobe@...>

Hi John,
I have some 224x scopes and use a nice 2247A regularly. It's a wonderful
scope and I know it's very complicated, but I'm hoping all of you will
help me fix it if or when it does fail!
I'd say, go for it and worry about future in the future.
Ordinary things like re-capping the 224x power supply is a very simple
thing to do, and the details of it are well documented. Also the 2247A
probably came late in the 224x series so it probably has some
improvements they learned of earlier in the series.
tom jobe...

On 1/24/2016 4:45 PM, John Dickens jake_117_dickens@...
[TekScopes] wrote:

I have my eye on a 2247A on Craigslist that looks very clean and
appears to be fully functional.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this scope - reliable, repairable,
etc.? It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a
7603 and a 2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.

Thanks, John

Malcolm Hunter

On 25 January 2016 at 00:45, John Dickens jake_117_dickens@...
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:

It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a 7603 and a
2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.

​The 2236 has a 6802 microprocessor, so the 2247A won't be your first. Or
do you mean something else?

Malcolm​

[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:

It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a 7603 and a
2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.
?The 2236 has a 6802 microprocessor, so the 2247A won't be your first. Or
do you mean something else?

Malcolm?
I almost posted the same thing but decided that he meant
microprocessor controlled.

John Dickens

I did not realize the 2236 has a 6802.

Thanks for your comments, David and Malcolm.

John

On Jan 25, 2016, at 4:18 AM, Malcolm Hunter malcolm.r.hunter@... [TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:

On 25 January 2016 at 00:45, John Dickens jake_117_dickens@... <mailto:jake_117_dickens@...>
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@... <mailto:TekScopes@...>> wrote:

It would be my first scope with a microprocessor. I also have a 7603 and a
2236 as well, not to mention a 503 in poor shape.
​The 2236 has a 6802 microprocessor, so the 2247A won't be your first. Or
do you mean something else?

Malcolm​

For what it is worth, I hear about fewer problems with the 4 channel
22xx oscilloscope than the 2 channel 22xx oscilloscopes and the 24xx
oscilloscopes. They seem to be more reliable although my 2247A does
currently have a problem that I have not tracked down. Apparently the
reference clock for the timer/counter is intermittent and I suspect
the clock crystal or oscillator is failing. I just have not gotten
around to fixing it.

The 4 channel 22xx oscilloscopes are also fully documented and parts
mules are inexpensively available making them easy to maintain.

The 2247A will not really do anything that your 2236 cannot but it has
a lot of user features. They both have a gated universal
timer/counter which is the big feature for these models. The 2247A
adds cursors, voltage measurements, and gated voltage measurements.

As I posted earlier, the 2247A series does *not* use digital
calibration so it does not have the loss of calibration issues of the
24xx series oscilloscopes which might be considered an advantage.

If I did *not* already have a 2247A, then I would want a 2236 for the
gated universal timer/counter.

The 2252 is not as common but it has all of the same features and for
practical purposes is the same as a 2247A.