Topics

Tek 2215

Jay
 

I have a Tek 2215 not 2215A scope coming and it needs some work .. The power button is stuck on and the handle will not lock into place because there's a few plastic knobs broke off or bent.Are these common problems ?? Also I have read a couple places that these have some issues,is there anything I should replaced or rebuilt before I put it to normal use...

 

Welcome to the group.

The problems you describe would apply to any oscilloscope which has
been physically mistreated. You may need to find a parts donor to
replace any damaged hardware. The potentiometer shafts are stainless
steel and can usually be straightened.

I am fuzzy on the details on the 2215 but there were a series of
modifications made to the power supply and an important change to the
CRT heater voltage to improve reliability. Those should be verified
to see exactly what you have.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 20:32:40 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

I have a Tek 2215 not 2215A scope coming and it needs some work .. The power button is stuck on and the handle will not lock into place because there's a few plastic knobs broke off or bent.Are these common problems ?? Also I have read a couple places that these have some issues,is there anything I should replaced or rebuilt before I put it to normal use...

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, joe black jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

I have a Tek 2215 not 2215A scope coming and it needs some work .. The power button is stuck on and the handle will not lock into place because there's a few plastic knobs broke off or bent.Are these common problems ?? Also I have read a couple places that these have some issues,is there anything I should replaced or rebuilt before I put it to normal use...
I have multiple 2213 scopes which use the same chassis and main board as the 2215 but lack the dual timebase.

The stuck power switch seems to affect most of the 2213/2215 scopes. If you can get some contact cleaner in there, it will loosen up the dried out grease. I ended up having to desolder the power switches in my 2213 scopes because they used a plastic safety shield over the switches which could not be removed without removing the switch. Even then I managed to crack at least one of the safety shields and had to solvent weld it back together. I completely flushed the switches out with contact cleaner and then applied a small amount of control lube.

The knobs and control shafts might be a hassle. If you are lucky there may be a few of the right type listed on eBay. I had to replace the front bezel for one of my 2213 scopes and I had to wait awhile for one of those to turn up at a halfway reasonable price.

I fully overhauled my 2213 scopes and replaced a lot of parts and still have more work I plan to do to them. I've not yet done a full write up, but some of my notes can be found in the list archives.

If you don't have them already, you will need a T7 and a T10 torx driver to get the scope apart. The T7 screws on all of my scopes were frozen and after breaking my precision T7 driver while trying to remove them, I picked up some Wera 867/4 series bits.

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

Welcome to the group.

The problems you describe would apply to any oscilloscope which has been physically mistreated. You may need to find a parts donor to replace any damaged hardware. The potentiometer shafts are stainless steel and can usually be straightened.
The 1/8" center cal shafts on these scopes are some sort of fiberglass-epoxy material. They use a shaft coupler to connect them to the cal pots so they could be replaced.

I am fuzzy on the details on the 2215 but there were a series of modifications made to the power supply and an important change to the CRT heater voltage to improve reliability. Those should be verified to see exactly what you have.
Yes. One of my scopes still has a dim CRT due to the original owner using it for a long time without doing the filament voltage modification.

http://strudel.ignorelist.com/~tothwolf/photos/Tektronix_2213/Misc/

The early 2213 and 2215 scopes lacked the pre-regulator boards which IMO would just about mandatory for these scopes to be reliable.

Jay
 

Thanks for such great info .. I will have to check out volt mod and see if the mod is done or needed to be done .. Oh also to clarify the handle locking tabs are broke and not the knobs ..The knobs are fine and the unit is pretty clean..I hope this works out but I got this for dirt cheap..









Here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-2215-60MHz-oscilloscope-/321969604505?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wOUmi6rr6qZOZulXaqHvXtSpJJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:10:37 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

The problems you describe would apply to any oscilloscope which has been
physically mistreated. You may need to find a parts donor to replace
any damaged hardware. The potentiometer shafts are stainless steel and
can usually be straightened.
The 1/8" center cal shafts on these scopes are some sort of
fiberglass-epoxy material. They use a shaft coupler to connect them to the
cal pots so they could be replaced.
Those are the exception which I guess I should have mentioned. On the
other hand, I do not think they can be bent without breaking them.

On some Tektronix instruments, the shafts for the variable controls
are metal.

Jay
 

Oh I found this page on rebuilding the switch too..
http://softsolder.com/2013/01/11/tektronix-2215a-oscilloscope-power-switch-rebuild/Also I need to find some info on rebuilding the power supply caps I have read they have alot of issues with ..

 

It looks like it is in pretty good shape. I think the handle can be
repaired and it is not difficult to remove once you pull the
oscilloscope chassis from the enclosure. I do not see any evidence of
the front panel controls being bent so they cannot be too damaged.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:33:41 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

Thanks for such great info .. I will have to check out volt mod and see if the mod is done or needed to be done .. Oh also to clarify the handle locking tabs are broke and not the knobs ..The knobs are fine and the unit is pretty clean..I hope this works out but I got this for dirt cheap..

Here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-2215-60MHz-oscilloscope-/321969604505?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wOUmi6rr6qZOZulXaqHvXtSpJJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Jay
 

Thanks I hope so and for $24 shipped we will see what happens and will post updates..

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, joe black jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Oh I found this page on rebuilding the switch too.. http://softsolder.com/2013/01/11/tektronix-2215a-oscilloscope-power-switch-rebuild/Also I need to find some info on rebuilding the power supply caps I have read they have alot of issues with ..
I didn't find it necessary to disassemble the switch apart from removing the add-on safety shield they added over the top of the switch. To remove it without cracking it, you have to slide it off the switch towards the back, and even then it can still crack.

While the power switch is the same, keep in mind that the main board in the 2213A/2215A is completely different from the board used in the 2213/2215.

When you get you scope, if it has the preregulator assembly, I can see about compiling a list of the parts I used for my scopes. Most of them will be the same but you would need to add the capacitors they used on the dual timebase board.

Jay
 

Ok thanks..
Are there alot of caps that should be replaced and any other mods that should be done ???

 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:02:14 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

While the power switch is the same, keep in mind that the main board in
the 2213A/2215A is completely different from the board used in the
2213/2215.
I consider them separate designs with the 2213/2215 (1982 to 1985)
being the beta test for the series which starts with the 2235/2236
(1984) and includes the 2213A/2215A (1986) as replacements for the
2213/2215. Besides differences in the overall design, the 2213/2215
has a 30pF input capacitance and 10kV acceleration while all of the
later models have a 20pF input capacitance and 14kV acceleration.

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Ok thanks..
Are there alot of caps that should be replaced and any other mods that should be done ???
As far as preventive maintenance parts goes, I replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors, the 5 Rifa brand safety capacitors, the 1M ohm carbon comp resistors in the high voltage divider, and some other misc resistors.

The 6 silver colored Mallory capacitors on the main board are an absolute must replace item, and if your 2215 still has the original parts installed, you'll probably find that they are beginning to leak from their bottom seals.

I used new manufacture carbon comp resistors for the 1M ohm resistors, however after the discussion on the list, I picked up some high voltage rated film parts that I plan to replace those with the next time I have the scopes opened up.

The difficulties I ran into with the 2213 scopes were that the component leads are bent down to hold the parts in before they were soldered, and the two small electrolytics on the front panel board were difficult to get to (I used some long tweezers to fit them).

While some people claim that the small 5mm and 6.3mm capacitors never fail, some of the small electrolytics in my scopes were visibly leaking or had corrosion on their leads which was only visible after removing them, so I think replacing them is a good idea.

I posted this link previously, but some photos of my scopes can be found here: http://strudel.ignorelist.com/~tothwolf/photos/Tektronix_2213/

Overall, the 2213/2215 isn't a scope I would recommend for a beginner, but if you have the patience and a vacuum soldering tool, they aren't that hard to service.

 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:56:02 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Ok thanks..
Are there alot of caps that should be replaced and any other mods that
should be done ???
....

I used new manufacture carbon comp resistors for the 1M ohm resistors,
however after the discussion on the list, I picked up some high voltage
rated film parts that I plan to replace those with the next time I have
the scopes opened up.

...
The Vishay VR25 and VR35 series high voltage film resistors are very
similar if not identical to the high voltage film resistors which
Tektronix used to replace the carbon composition resistors originally
used in the 22xx series focus chain. They are readily available and
inexpensive.

Jay
 

Why are you replacing the resistor that your listed ???

Jay
 

I have a hakko fx-888d iron and nice desoldering iron that works really good.I know I'm a noob to scopes but right now I have no scope cause I had a nice Rigol DS1054z but had to be sold in order to pay rent and a place for my family.. The scope is show in the pics working but will need further testing and why replace the resistors ... When I get the scopes is there anyway I could could post pics and you guys could show me what is needed to be replace or part# or something ???
About how much should the parts cost me for the rebuild here in the usa ???

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:56:02 -0600 (CST), you wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Ok thanks..
Are there alot of caps that should be replaced and any other mods that should be done ???
....

I used new manufacture carbon comp resistors for the 1M ohm resistors, however after the discussion on the list, I picked up some high voltage rated film parts that I plan to replace those with the next time I have the scopes opened up.

...
The Vishay VR25 and VR35 series high voltage film resistors are very similar if not identical to the high voltage film resistors which Tektronix used to replace the carbon composition resistors originally used in the 22xx series focus chain. They are readily available and inexpensive.
That's what I'm planning to install. I picked up 100 Vishay VR37000001004FR500 for $13.60.

 

The focus resistor chain is just a common point of failure in the
early 22xx oscilloscopes and if you have to order parts like the
aluminum electrolytic capacitors, it might be worth ordering the
resistors and changing them also.

I think Tothwolf <tothwolf@...> has a better idea about
parts and pricing but we need to know which version of the power
supply you have. My guess is that the total cost should be less than
$20.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 03:51:37 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

I have a hakko fx-888d iron and nice desoldering iron that works really good.I know I'm a noob to scopes but right now I have no scope cause I had a nice Rigol DS1054z but had to be sold in order to pay rent and a place for my family.. The scope is show in the pics working but will need further testing and why replace the resistors ... When I get the scopes is there anyway I could could post pics and you guys could show me what is needed to be replace or part# or something ???
About how much should the parts cost me for the rebuild here in the usa ???

 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 22:11:50 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:56:02 -0600 (CST), you wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

I used new manufacture carbon comp resistors for the 1M ohm resistors,
however after the discussion on the list, I picked up some high voltage
rated film parts that I plan to replace those with the next time I have
the scopes opened up.
The Vishay VR25 and VR35 series high voltage film resistors are very
similar if not identical to the high voltage film resistors which
Tektronix used to replace the carbon composition resistors originally
used in the 22xx series focus chain. They are readily available and
inexpensive.
That's what I'm planning to install. I picked up 100 Vishay
VR37000001004FR500 for $13.60.
Lol. How many 22xx oscilloscopes are you rebuilding?

Tothwolf
 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

The focus resistor chain is just a common point of failure in the early 22xx oscilloscopes and if you have to order parts like the aluminum electrolytic capacitors, it might be worth ordering the resistors and changing them also.
The 18k ohm 1/4W resistor used for the focus control located just in front of the HV multiplier is also problematic. I also replaced a handful of other carbon comp resistors on the preregulator board which had drifted and plan to replace a couple more on the main board with carbon film and metal oxide parts.

I think Tothwolf <tothwolf@...> has a better idea about parts and pricing but we need to know which version of the power supply you have. My guess is that the total cost should be less than $20.
With the price breaks for buying in bulk, the preventative maintenance parts for my 2213 scopes were just under $20.00 per scope. Buying in smaller quantity, based on my old spreadsheets, I suspect the total will be closer to $25.00.

I suppose since these scopes seem to be turning up more often, I should work up a parts list with both Mouser and Digi-Key part numbers.