Topics

TDS754A printer compatibiliy

Ed Breya

Thanks Tothwolf, files received.

I know what you mean about the toner refilling. I found out the hard way about thoroughly cleaning the cartridge. I got a kit online years ago and the instructions mentioned it, but didn't explain why. The first time I just refilled it, and ended up with a large mess. The prints came out with gray background and streaks, and toner got out and all over the guts of the printer. This was one of the older ones, so I set it aside since I had new ones anyway. Later, I finally took it outside, emptied the cartridge, and thoroughly blasted it and the whole printer out with compressed air. It seemed to work just fine after a proper refill.

Ed

Tothwolf

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Thanks Tothwolf, I found one of my printers is an HL-2070N, and it worked right off the bat with the output printer type set to Laserjet. This may be the only one that takes PCL and has a Centronix port, so I'll have to take good care of it. I'm hoping I have another one of these buried somewhere.

I thought you mentioned in your other post that you had some maintenance info on these. If so, I'd sure appreciate anything you can send me.
I've emailed the files to directly to you off-list. These are great printers for single sided black-only printing and can do 1200 dpi at 20ppm. Brother rates the drums for these printers at 15k pages, although I've taken some up to 20-25k pages before needing to replace them. Aftermarket drums are available in the $10-14 range. A complete refill of the toner cartridge can cost as little as $5 or less and is good for 2500+ pages.

Tothwolf

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Dwayne Verhey tekscopes@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Or you could connect a newer USB printer to your legacy equipment with one of these:

http://www.ipcas.com/products/centronics-parallel-to-usb-printer.html
The HL-2040 has both a parallel and a USB input.

The problem with using the Brother HL-2040 with the TDS754A is that the HL-2040 only works in GDI mode, which I guess the TDS754A can't use. I suppose it might be possible to use something to convert from PCL to GDI, but doing so would require the use of some sort of small computer. Probably just easier to save a GDI only printer for use with Windows/Mac/Linux and use a PCL compatible printer with the TDS754A.

Torch Fireman

Here's another interesting approach, but you have to make your own cable:

http://www.printcapture.com

On 23/01/2016 3:54 PM, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys, for help with printers. I have several models of Brother laser printers - these are my favorites - I've standardized on them years ago after much disappointment with ink jets and the big brands. The problem with newer printers is that the Centronix port has pretty much disappeared in favor of Ethernet and wireless. I'll have to look at all of them and see what they have for ports and compatibility. I don't want to buy a printer just to go with the scopes - I was hoping to take one out of retirement/spare status and have it work, but maybe it just won't happen.

Ed

Vince Vielhaber

I don't know if this helps at all, but the 2040 is a PCL-5e printer.

Vince.

On Thu, January 21, 2016 11:14 pm, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Thanks Al,

I tried the laserjet and almost every other one too, but it didn't work
with the Brother HL-2040. I'm wondering if maybe the printer's
communication and format settings can be changed via a PC hooked up to
it. I don't recall ever seeing any explicit provision for that in
printers, since the drivers usually take care of all the details.

Ed

--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/
http://www.foggymist.com The Foggy Mist Emporium

Tothwolf

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:

I tried the laserjet and almost every other one too, but it didn't work with the Brother HL-2040. I'm wondering if maybe the printer's communication and format settings can be changed via a PC hooked up to it. I don't recall ever seeing any explicit provision for that in printers, since the drivers usually take care of all the details.
According to the user manual, it looks like the HL-2040 only supports GDI. The 2070N supports PCL, Epson FX-850 and IBM Proprinter XL emulation. See pages 2-1, 2-17, A-2 and A-3

https://www.brother-usa.com/ModelDocuments/Consumer/Users%20Manual/UM_HL_2040_2070N_EN_1289.PDF

Tothwolf

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:

I tried the laserjet and almost every other one too, but it didn't work with the Brother HL-2040. I'm wondering if maybe the printer's communication and format settings can be changed via a PC hooked up to it. I don't recall ever seeing any explicit provision for that in printers, since the drivers usually take care of all the details.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a HL-2070N which is the same basic printer as the HL-2040 but it also has a network interface. The default mode for the 2070N is the Epson FX-850 but it can be switched to the IBM Proprinter XL via its built-in webserver based configuration page.

If you happen to need it sometime, I have the service manual for these printers in pdf format. I don't remember where I got it from but Brother doesn't seem to make it publicly available.

Also, if you ever begin to have trouble with the printer not feeding paper, pick up a LM6291001 paper feeding kit (mine was ~$15 from a printer supply company). The feed roller assembly in these printers seems to last for about 20k-25k pages after which the textured roller surface is worn too much to reliably pull paper from the paper tray. Installing the roller requires quite a bit of disassembly (and you have to carefully align the marks on the gears while installing it), but following the diagrams in the service manual makes it pretty easy.

If you have trouble with double-feeds, there is a small rubber dampening pad for the feed solenoid that breaks down and turns into a sticky tar-like goo. Removing it solves the problem, although after removing it, you can definitely hear an audible click when the solenoid pulls in.

Ed Breya

Thanks Al,

I tried the laserjet and almost every other one too, but it didn't work with the Brother HL-2040. I'm wondering if maybe the printer's communication and format settings can be changed via a PC hooked up to it. I don't recall ever seeing any explicit provision for that in printers, since the drivers usually take care of all the details.

Ed

allanjamison

Ed:

I have a TDS 544A and it has a centronics parallel port. I have used it with several printers that use the standard HP PCL language. Set the printer options to output to the centronics port and select the laserjet format.

It should work. The PCL format uses ASCII characters and it a very common standard in the older, more expensive printers, from many vendors. Many current printers also support PCL but you have to check the specifications. Very inexpensive printers now do most of the formatting in the PC and require proprietary drivers.

I hope this information helps. I am assuming the your TDS 754A has similar options.

In my TDS 544A there is also a floppy disk that you can use to save standard image formats. These formats can be processed by most PC drawing and word processing programs. That is another way to get a screen print into a document or print it out.

Al Jamison

dnmeeks

I use that same plotter emulator, through GPIB, on my TDS754C.

I also changed out the 3.5" floppy for a USB floppy-emulator, and with that
you can dump the screen to a file to print from another computer.

Dan

Siggi

Hey Ed,

I've never hooked a printer to my TDS784D, but I did get this <
http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/7470.htm> to work. I forget the details of the
setup and operation, but it wasn't too involved.
It looks like John has recently added host initiated print requests for the
TDSen, which should make this easy enough to use.
The downside is that you need a computer and GPIB on the bench, in addition
to a printer - if all you were after is a hard copy.

Siggi

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 21:55 edbreya@... [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

I posted about this a while ago but no response. I have tried a Brother
HL-2040 (about 10 years old or so) via the Centronix port, hoping to luck
out and have it miraculously work, but no. Trying various printer types
available in the menus, the most I could get it to do is spit out blank
pages. Does anyone know if Tek ever had updates for their built-in printer
drivers? It seems like there should have been a way to keep up with the
newer printers over the years. I was hoping to have simple hardcopy output
available, but I doubt that any printers of the same vintage as the scope
have aged as well.

I searched around and found nothing about scope printer drivers - maybe it
was never a big feature.

Ed

Ed Breya