Topics

tektronix blue paint

Jon Kirwan

There was an older post in this group (okay, a number of them
with some selling small quantities, but only one of them with
specific paint values to try) about Tektronix blue laquer
paint. (I gather it's laquer from reading here but I frankly
don't have any personal knowledge beyond having seen someone
say so here.) I'm interested in some, now, so that I can do
some modest exterior restoration of a 317 scope. I'm not yet
imagining a "complete do-over," but instead possibly
airbrushing where appropriate. I suppose, if necessary
though, I'd embrace a complete re-do. Right now I'm pretty
ignorant about what's a better approach, so open to being
told which way is up, so to speak.

I went down to my local "architecture" Sherwin-Williams store
about an hour back and brought with me both panels as well as
what information I could gleen from back posts here in this
group. They referred me towards their industrial supply
office (there is one in the local area) and was totally
"brushed off." Didn't even want to have me come over, in
fact. I think they like to deal in 1000 gallon orders, or
something. They were not in any way "friendly" about it,
either. No recommendations of anyone else who might help;
nothing at all. Just "sorry, no."

I also contacted their automotive "arm" and was told that it
was illegal (federal) for them to supply laquers since about
15 years ago, or so. So they don't make it. Period.

So....

What are people using these days? Where to find them? What
cautions might be offered so that I have a good chance at
getting this close to right?

It suddenly seems "tricky," for now.

Jon

Paul Amaranth

It's gotten ridiculous trying to get lacquer. I've seen prices
over $100/qt, although I was in a NAPA the other week and they
had some touch up lacquer on the shelf in quarts. I was surprised
to see it. I doubt if they color match though.

I went to SW and got a quart of their All-surface low sheen enamel and
had them color match it. It's looks pretty good, but you have to paint
the whole panel; it won't work for touchup.

If you want the recipe, let me know, although you'd probably be better
off having your local store do a match. The guy who did mine was not
a master by any means. I think it was around $30 for the quart.

The color also changed a little bit over time, although that
might also be due to fade. I have a lot of Tek equipment and
I don't think I have 2 pieces with the exact same shade
of blue.

Paul

--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
paul@... | Unix & Windows

Charlie Conger

I want to say the paint used originally is Tek Blue Sherwin Williams Polane, which is a polyurethane paint. If so this paint I s commonly used in industrial applications but it is also used to paint airplanes. You may be able it through that channel. Maybe a local paint shop at a nearby airport?

Charlie Conger

Vince Vielhaber

I'd like the recipe. I need to tint some plastic resin. The SW by me
can't match anything if the sample is larger than 1" x 1".

Vince.

jonk@... [TekScopes] wrote:
[...]

Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/
http://www.foggymist.com The Foggy Mist Emporium

Jon Kirwan

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:12:59 -0600, Charlie Conger wrote:

I want to say the paint used originally is Tek Blue Sherwin
Williams Polane, which is a polyurethane paint. If so this
paint I s commonly used in industrial applications but it is
also used to paint airplanes. You may be able it through
that channel. Maybe a local paint shop at a nearby airport?
Hmm. Would that be the "Polane T" low-gloss variety?

In any case, I've been learning more and found out that there
are nitrocellulose based ('20s through 50's and 60's
perhaps), acrylic based (starting in the 50's), and more. I'm
finding that I'm largely ignorant about paints, now that I'm
looking.

The Sherwin-Williams Polane T looks correct. It's specified
for metal and it is low gloss, too. The base comes in black,
white, and gray. I suppose I'd start with white and mix to
the blue color from there?

Thanks by the way,
Jon

Paul Amaranth

OK, here it is:

Ultradeep base 6403-25775

BAC Colorant 02 32
------------ -- --
W1-white 17
B1-Black 8
L1-Blue 13
N1-Raw umber 9

I think it's just a little too blue, but it's not bad. I probably
have at least one piece of gear where that's a match. If you do the
whole instrument, it's pretty good.

You might want to get an artist's color matching chart; you might
be able to get closer that way.

jonk@... [TekScopes] wrote:
[...]

Any sherman williams can use computers and get a perfect match but then they send it out to get it in spray cans. They will not do anything less than a case and with shipping you are looking at >$200. Then you take what you want and offer cans to Tekscopes at about $28 a pop to get your money back. No one wants to pay so you wind up taking 5 years to get rid of it. Been there done that.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and have them do the best they can.

Jerry Massengale

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:28:46 -0800, I wrote:

Hmm. Would that be the "Polane T" low-gloss variety?
Wow! That's EXPENSIVE stuff from "SkyGeek." F63W12 (1 gallon
size, white.) I read (from google, for whatever that's worth)
that this is also used in "Duracoat." But that seems to be in
aerosol cans and so far as I'm aware cannot be "matched" for
color that way.

The low-gloss varieties seems to be:

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/metal/polyurethane-interior-topcoats/solvent/catalyzed/polane-t-polyurethane-enamel
http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/metal/polyurethane-interior-topcoats/solvent/catalyzed/polane-2-8-t-plus-polyurethane-enamel

I'm betting it is the first of those two, for now. I'll see
if my local store can get a gallon or two with appropriate
colorants. (If I had to bet, I'd bet against being that lucky
though. Time will tell.)

Jon

Vince Vielhaber

Raw Umber? That's gonna be interesting to create!

Thanks!!!
Vince.

On Mon, November 16, 2015 8:32 pm, Paul Amaranth paul@...
[TekScopes] wrote:
OK, here it is:

Ultradeep base 6403-25775

BAC Colorant 02 32
------------ -- --

jonk@... [TekScopes] wrote:
[...]

Jerry, not all SWs can do it with something larger than 1x1. I brought
them a piece from my lathe that was about 3x4 and they couldn't get it in
their machine. At that point I shoulda left and gone to Home Depot, they
have better equipment. There's no way I'm gonna cut a 1x1 out of a tek
case.

Vince.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:12:59 -0600, Charlie wrote:

I want to say the paint used originally is Tek Blue Sherwin
Williams Polane, which is a polyurethane paint. If so this
paint I s commonly used in industrial applications but it is
also used to paint airplanes. You may be able it through
that channel. Maybe a local paint shop at a nearby airport?
Just an update. Turns out that our Sherwin-Williams "Product
Finishes" store does appear to carry the Polane T product. I
had called that location earlier, without knowing at all what
to call the stuff, and ... well, essentially was "brushed
off" by them. No willingness to discuss, talk about, or
recommend anyone. But I didn't know what to ask for, either.
So that may have been an element in their attitude towards
me.

But with your help I now find out from my local store that
their own computer says this other speciality office DOES
HAVE this particular item (the 1 gallon F63W12 unit) at that
location (only.) This office recommends I just show up at the
other office and "make their lives miserable" until they
consider the idea of selling me some. So... I'm going to do
that. Now that you've given me a clue, I know exactly what to
ask for, and now that I know they have the stuff it is going
to make it pretty difficult for them to tell me "no."
(Because if they do, I will escalate it to their corporate
offices and see if that helps.)

If I have any luck, and I have NO IDEA what the cost will be,
is anyone interested if I can get them to make up a batch
that appears to work correctly? (I also don't know if there
is a primer to use to help hold it... but those folks, when
they finally decide to talk to me to get rid of me, may know
what else is needed. (I'm told these are the "select few, the
so-called smart folks" and that they actually can make up
their own proprietary color additives out of raw material
stock that no other office in this state can hope to do.)

Hoping for some luck and an open door,
Jon

be sure to shake or stir well to avoid black streaks

Jerry Massengale

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 01:06:18 -0500, Jerry wrote:

be sure to shake or stir well to avoid black streaks
I'll practice a lot, first. I have lots of crappy bits of
metal around here -- Al and steel, alike. (I weld stuff.) So
I'll play around beforehand and try and develop some kind of
skill before I go and screw up the 317.

Thanks,
Jon

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

OK - I'm in the UK and I did it this way.

I phoned Tek and had them send me a can of Tek blue spray. Dunno if they
still supply it, but they sure did ten years ago. It would have been cheap
in the US, but they tried to charge me a fortune for post 9/11 shipping
until I moaned enough to get them to refund it.

I then sprayed a swatch, and sent it to https://www.paints4u.com/ , who
mainly do car paints . They matched the colour and matt-ness perfectly. I
bought a whole bunch of spray cans, and a tin plus thinners for use with an
air brush.

What I do is put the instrument covers in the dishwasher; the detergent
chemically cleans and etches the surface. After which I give it several
coats of paint. All my extensive stable looks identical, like new.

I have absolutely no idea what the paints4u paint actually is, and could
care less - it sticks without trouble to any piece of Tek gear from the 500
series mainframes to the 7000 series.

Craig

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 01:06:18 -0500, Jerry wrote:

be sure to shake or stir well to avoid black streaks
I'll practice a lot, first. I have lots of crappy bits of
metal around here -- Al and steel, alike. (I weld stuff.) So
I'll play around beforehand and try and develop some kind of
skill before I go and screw up the 317.

Thanks,
Jon

------------------------------------
Posted by: Jon Kirwan <jonk@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Jon Kirwan

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 07:16:27 -0000, Craig wrote:

OK - I'm in the UK and I did it this way.

I phoned Tek and had them send me a can of Tek blue spray. Dunno if they
still supply it, but they sure did ten years ago. It would have been cheap
in the US, but they tried to charge me a fortune for post 9/11 shipping
until I moaned enough to get them to refund it.
Okay. I guess I figured that since they were taken private by
a German company and since so many years had gone by it
wasn't worth a call. But you've reminded me that it is worth
a call. I'll see what they say. Thanks for setting my
thinking straight.

I then sprayed a swatch, and sent it to https://www.paints4u.com/ , who
mainly do car paints . They matched the colour and matt-ness perfectly. I
bought a whole bunch of spray cans, and a tin plus thinners for use with an
air brush.
Hmm. Sherwin-Williams (which I think is based here, where I
live near Tektronix) also has two offices here in Portland
that specialize just in auto paints. So that too is worth a
shot, as well. Thanks, again.

What I do is put the instrument covers in the dishwasher; the detergent
chemically cleans and etches the surface. After which I give it several
coats of paint. All my extensive stable looks identical, like new.
Point taken.

I have absolutely no idea what the paints4u paint actually is, and could
care less - it sticks without trouble to any piece of Tek gear from the 500
series mainframes to the 7000 series.
Thanks, Craig.
Jon

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

What I do is put the instrument covers in the dishwasher; the detergent
chemically cleans and etches the surface. After which I give it
several coats of paint. All my extensive stable looks identical, like new.
Point taken.
=======================

For clarity, the dishwasher treatment does not take the old paint off - it
just gets rid of decades of ingrained dirt and degraded surface.

But I have had success using household cleaning cream (CIF or whatever it is
called now) and a nailbrush, and then scrubbing the surface. You have to
get the dirt out of the textured aluminium, and any powdery surface layer of
paint.

Oh - and before spraying, put little discs of tape over the metal cover
securing screws.

Craig

Jon Kirwan

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 08:00:17 -0000, Craig wrote:

What I do is put the instrument covers in the dishwasher; the detergent
chemically cleans and etches the surface. After which I give it
several coats of paint. All my extensive stable looks identical, like new.
Point taken.
=======================

For clarity, the dishwasher treatment does not take the old paint off - it
just gets rid of decades of ingrained dirt and degraded surface.
Did you do this _before_ having the color (colour) matched?
(I assume so.)

But I have had success using household cleaning cream (CIF or whatever it is
called now) and a nailbrush, and then scrubbing the surface. You have to
get the dirt out of the textured aluminium, and any powdery surface layer of
paint.
Yeah. I spent a little time attempting to do that today. I
haven't used a dishwasher on it, though. Not yet.

Oh - and before spraying, put little discs of tape over the metal cover
securing screws.
Well, all of the mounting hardware will be in a box. The
panels, angle pieces, etc., will all be separately painted
and I will make certain that all exposed matal areas needed
for a proper grounding of the case remain exposed and
unpainted, as well.

Thanks for the discussion. It does help a lot.
Jon

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

=============
Did you do this _before_ having the color (colour) matched?
(I assume so.)
=============

I got a swatch (a few square inches of aluminium) that I sprayed with Tek
blue as the match. Not the case itself. Problem is that Tek either used
different blues over the decades, or sunlight, tobacco smoke, passage of
time etc etc shifted the colour. So if you intend to paint several bits of
gear, you have to standardise.

==================
Yeah. I spent a little time attempting to do that today. I haven't used a
dishwasher on it, though. Not yet.
==================

I discovered that by accident. I shoved the covers of a 7904 in there that
was particularly horribly dirty. At it came out very clean but blotchy and
very nasty looking, because the detergent had attacked areas of degraded
paint. Oops. And that was why I ended up on my quest for paint! Bear in
mind that the dishwasher treatment also attacks the inside of the covers
too.

Craig

David DiGiacomo

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Jon Kirwan <jonk@...> wrote:

Okay. I guess I figured that since they were taken private by
a German company

It's not exactly relevant to paint, but Danaher is an American public company.

http://danaher.com/about-us/our-history

Martin Mehlhose

whats abbout stan grifiths?

http://www.reprise.com/ash/clients2/Parts_Shop/misc.html

If he still sale that there is the blue paint. I cannot order that bec I am in Germany ☹

greetings

Martin

Gesendet von wellenkino.de