OT: newly introduced ant species crawls into electronics to die

The Crazy Ant is the species challenging the Fire Ant for domination
in the southern US.

They can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Reported_distribution_of_the_Rasberry_Crazy_Ant_in_the_United_States_-_journal.pone.0045314.g001.png

They are relevant because they crawl into electronics. You might want
to think about ant-proofing your lab if you're in an area that has a
lot of ants (be it crazy ants or fire ants).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasberry_crazy_ant#Attraction_to_electrical_equipment

"It is unclear why colonies of Nylanderia fulva, like many species of
ants, are attracted to electrical equipment.[8][14] It has been
suggested that they sense the magnetic fields that surround wires
conducting electric current, or that they prefer the warmth produced
by resistance to the currents in the wires. Some argue that they
simply are searching for food or an attractive place to nest. [15]
Infestations of electrical equipment cause short circuits, sometimes
because the ants chew through insulation. Overheating, corrosion, and
mechanical failures also result from accumulations of dead ants and
nest detritus in electrical devices.[16]

Occasionally, an ant is electrocuted and, in dying, releases an alarm
pheromone, which causes the other ants to rush over and search for
attackers. If a large enough ball of ants collects, it may short out
some systems.[17]"

D.

dukeluca86@...

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

The variable capacitor indeed does look like a welcoming home for an ant colony, what with all the separate "levels" and stuff. Like a high rise!

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM, <dukeluca86@...> wrote:

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

Don Black <donald_black@...>

I believe Arachnids are spiders, not ants (insects).
Don Black.

On 16-Feb-14 12:44 PM, dukeluca86@... wrote:

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

Dave Seiter

But neither are healthy for electronics.  I don't know how many times I've been poking around inside a piece of gear and a large, fat black spider runs out.  No ants yet...

-Dave

I believe Arachnids are spiders, not ants (insects).
Don Black.

On 16-Feb-14 12:44 PM, dukeluca86@... wrote:

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

Don Black <donald_black@...>

Sounds like they're bad for YOUR electronics..Don Black.

On 18-Feb-14 5:47 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

But neither are healthy for electronics.  I don't know how many times I've been poking around inside a piece of gear and a large, fat black spider runs out.  No ants yet...

-Dave

I believe Arachnids are spiders, not ants (insects).
Don Black.

On 16-Feb-14 12:44 PM, dukeluca86@... wrote:

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

Geoff Blake <geoff@...>

Equally off topic:

I have never met spiders or ants emanating from electronic equipment but have had some strange smells from time to time.

The worst case was when I was in the TV repair business, some 50 years back. I had a call to a customer regarding a "Strange smell coming from the TV". This was in the days when it was not unusual to find selenium rectifiers still used, with the "burnt cabbage" smell when they were failing, but the TV was still working and it was a Pye V200, which used a thermionic rectifier. Puzzled I was.

I arrived at the customers home and went into the TV room, yes it was really honking some. I took a deep breath and removed the back of the TV. There it was, draped over the rectifier, which was a (Pro Electron) PY32, which was in the same size envelope as a 6L6G, and partially cooked. It was particularly foul smelling and I borrowed a set of rubber gloves to remove it. I also changed the rectifier as much of it had stuck.

After replacing the rectifier the TV still worked and smelt considerably less.

What was it. I believe it was a mouse, but could have been a small rat, I didn't look too close.

Geoff

Geoff Blake,   G8GNZ    JO01fq:   Chelmsford,  Essex,  UK
<geoff@...>    or   <melecerties@...>
Using Linux: Ubuntu 11.04 on Intel or Debian on UltraSparc
and Apple OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion on my Macbook Pro.
                Avoiding Micro$oft like the plague.

On 18 February 2014 10:09, Don Black <donald_black@...> wrote:

Sounds like they're bad for YOUR electronics..Don Black.

On 18-Feb-14 5:47 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

But neither are healthy for electronics.  I don't know how many times I've been poking around inside a piece of gear and a large, fat black spider runs out.  No ants yet...

-Dave

I believe Arachnids are spiders, not ants (insects).
Don Black.

On 16-Feb-14 12:44 PM, dukeluca86@... wrote:

Wow... sounds like aracnattack or other b movies... never heard of this before... where i live (Italy) there's no problem with ants, they are in the ground, we over it... what's this things comin out from my keyboard ?

Seriously, i only had one case once upon a time with aracnid nest in an old tube radio, but very old and comin from eastern europe contry, they nested in the variable capacitor, blocking it.

Geoffrey Thomas

That reminds me of the tale recounted many years ago in the pages of Practical Wireless in the 1960's. An engineer was called out to a "wireless set" which had no reception. He opened the back and found the whole of the inside to be covered in some sort of furry substance which he gingerly removed. He questioned the owner as to what it might be, and he/she explained that when they first had the radio reception was poor but they discovered that it improved when someone touched the little socket (Ae) on the back. In an effort to reproduce this they attached a sausage to the Ae socket- it must have worked as they then installed it inside the radio out of sight. The rest is self-explanatory. I think the column it appeared in was by "Cathode Ray".

Geoff.