Anyone have experience shipping to France?

I sent something valuable to a buyer in France.

When I mailed it I was told it could not be insured for more than $100 (due to some French regulation) if sent by the US Post Office.

As an alternative I chose to require a signature so that I would know it was delivered safely. That also means the USPS tracks the package.

Although it was not a big or heavy package the shipping charges still came to about $100.

The USPS tracking kept me informed as the package moved into French Customs and then as it was handed off from customs into the French Postal System. That was on May 6th. The buyer still has not received the package and is getting worried.

Yesterday I received this notice from the USPS:

unable to locate any delivery information in our records regarding your item number.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on or what I can do to find out what happened to the package?

Dennis

druid_noibn

Hi,

The company I worked with for 17 years was in France and we sent many packages between our US and French offices.

A heads-up to all - avoid using USPS for such shipments.  As noted, the USPS must hand-over the package to local services.  Most likely, the item will arrive, but the ability to track is very difficult.  In this case, you could enquire with the French postal system, but the chance of getting a viable response is low.  In our experience, the cooperation was non-existent.

For future shipments, use one of the courier services, UPS, FedEx, etc.  They now have rather good services through most of Europe. We never saw a problem - in fact a shipment from our colleagues in France on a Monday evening would arrive in Princeton, NJ by mid-morning on Tuesday.

Bon chance,
DBN

[...]

taylorvandy

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Tillman" <dennis@...> wrote:

I sent something valuable to a buyer in France.

When I mailed it I was told it could not be insured for more than $100 (due
to some French regulation) if sent by the US Post Office.

As an alternative I chose to require a signature so that I would know it was
delivered safely. That also means the USPS tracks the package.

Although it was not a big or heavy package the shipping charges still came
to about $100.

The USPS tracking kept me informed as the package moved into French Customs
and then as it was handed off from customs into the French Postal System.
That was on May 6th. The buyer still has not received the package and is
getting worried.

Yesterday I received this notice from the USPS:

we were

unable to locate any delivery information in our records regarding your item
number.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on or what I can do to
find out what happened to the package?

Dennis
The French are very customs heavy - I sent a packet of unobtainium parts to France last spring, and to ensure it got to the customer, I sent it registered, via First Class Mail. The value if the transistor and ICs was about 56 dollars. The customer got a phone call saying he owed 71EUR in customs fees and taxes, or about what it cost him for the parts + shipping. The customs folks had not opened the package (sent registered, with all package seams sealed with USPS sealing tape), but determined value based on how it was sent. So for twice what it started at, the customer got his parts, but was not happy.

Perhaps the recipient got a call with steep customs fees/taxes owed, and refused it? Per the Universal Postal Union, only Priority non-flat rate and registered parcels are tracked, so if it was sent either of those methods, you can track it with the French Postal service - I used it to see my parcel was delivered - 19 days after it left the ISC in New York.

Cheers,
Taylor

chipbee40

If it was valuable and the value was correctly noted on the customs forms then the French customs will have required the VAT payable to be collected before it was sent out to the customer. Maybe he missed a notification but its unlikely to be just delivered without the customs receiving payment. Of course if it was marked as a gift that is another situation. I've never lost a shipment to France but I do use priority mail, first class is very risky even to Canada. JC

[...]

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Shipping to France from the UK was disastrous. I sent a storage scope to a guy who bought it off eBay. First it did not arrive - because of the local service nonsense. Then when the guy was home one day, it turned up. It was such a mess when it arrived that he accused me of selling one item and shipping another. Took high resolution images of the front panel (eBay limit resolution) showing the serial number before the guy was convinced.

Never ever again to France. An accident waiting to happen, regardless of how well it is packed.

Craig

Don't even think about shipping to Italy without insurance.

Jerry Massengale

From: jerry massengale
To: TekScopes@...
Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 8:15 PM

Don't even think about shipping to Italy without insurance.

Jerry Massengale

Shipping to France from the UK was disastrous. I sent a storage scope to a guy who bought it off eBay. First it did not arrive - because of the local service nonsense. Then when the guy was home one day, it turned up. It was such a mess when it arrived that he accused me of selling one item and shipping another. Took high resolution images of the front panel (eBay limit resolution) showing the serial number before the guy was convinced.

Never ever again to France. An accident waiting to happen, regardless of how well it is packed.

Craig

druid_noibn

Hi,

Did you use the postal system or courier service?

Be well,
DBN

From: Craig Sawyers
To: TekScopes@...
Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 8:32 PM

I think I probably used Parcel Farce.

Craig

Hi,

Did you use the postal system or courier service?

Be well,

DBN

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Just curious, thanks. I keep hearing stories about the uncooperative postal folks in the UK, France and Italy.
====================

Sending stuff to the UK is fine. Either if it comes from USPS it goes in via Parcel Force. You can either be in when they try to deliver, or you can collect and pay the tax. If it comes via courier, they deliver and then send you a VAT invoice. All works pretty well.

Craig

PA4TIM

I'm in Holland, we have the same customs bullshit. A friend sended me a package from the states. It was for free but he insured it for 100 dollars. It took 2 weeks to arrive, the box looked like somebody played football with it and the customs charged 19 euro based on the insured value. Bought a GR bridge, same story with time and taxes.
Later I ordered a LCR meter from IET in th US and asked if they could not mention a value or so on the box but something like "defect, no value, only for parts" They made a fake invoice that stated something like "samples, not for resale" on it, sended it by fedex and it arrived in a few days without problems. They gave a track and trace and stated the expected date and time and fedex deliverred it 2 hours and undammaged before the stated time. That was a very good experience.

I often buy goods for resale from France and Italy for my business but shipping itself was not often a problem.  French shipping itself seems to go well. The shipper from Lafuma always phones first ( in broken English :-) ) if we have space for a x meter truck, and when the truck is expected to arrive ) The firms however.....Italian firms them self can often be a disaster, they never seem to keep their word, change prices and mess up orders, the problem is they often say that is not true, they just lie. French firms often mean well but allways seem to make a mess out of it anyhow. But they stay honnest, appolegies and trie to correct things ( that often makes even a bigger mess out of things) We bought glasses about 8 years from CeBe and I never received 1 order that was correct. Like they collect orders in their warehouse for several custommers and then random put the adress labels on the boxes.

The worst case took me 2 years, about 3 monthd before finally the more or less the right goods arrived ( but at that time I had a lot of things in twice the number of ordered items, a lot of things not ordered ( and with papers for other customers) and some goods still missing while billed) the rest of the time took it to get the right bill and at the end, after 2 years not paying, I was asked if I could make the bill myself because they did not know what they had delivered :-( (Took me many hours)

But probably you hope to hear all is great over there. In your case I think it could be customs, holydays ect. Think 3 to 4 weeks around this time of the year could be possible.

Fred PA4TIM

Op 20 mei 2013 om 02:19 heeft Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

caveteursus

I shipped amplifier kits and parts to Europe and find France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Holland to be among the best, next is Spain. For Germany, routine shipments of components, whether shipped to an individual or company, always seem to get held up in customs. Italy, despite the horror stories, seems to be OK. UK and Ireland are a disappointment as many packages get lost or returned --