Topics

Solder Sucker Hax

mosaicmerc

As u say that...I might make up a backup sucker for grins out of a small 12VDC vacuum pump (from jameco) that pulls 25mmHG vac using a 1/2L brass reservoir I have. I already have fast acting (15 msec) 12V 3-way solenoid valves from Ingersoll Rand. I have lots of left over parts, MAP sensors etc., from a blow off valve & boost control brain system I designed for turbo cars. Prob. make a nozzle attachment out of 3/8" copper pipe brazed onto the soldering iron insert tip.

Ah...maybe someday when I don't have a 2465A to recap!

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David <davidwhess@...> wrote:

On my Weller DS227 desoldering setup, I have a 1/2 HP vacuum pump
rated at 3 CFM in free air drawing from a vacuum reservoir so the air
flow starts as fast as I can open the air valve. The limit on air
flow appears to be the tubing leading up to the desoldering tip since
it collapses do to the vacuum. I am thinking of picking up a solenoid
operated valve so one hand will be left free.

It is probably overkill but I already had the pieces and I have no
complaints about the performance so far.

On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:46:26 +0200, Stefan Trethan
<stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .

I originally used a Weller desoldering attachment with the hand bulb
replaced by the vacuum pump but solder would fill up the stainless
steel tube and it was difficult to clean out. Then I bought just the
Weller DS227 desoldering head which was made for automatic operation
but attaches to the standard Weller Magnastat style temperature
controlled iron.

http://cdn4.stanleysupplyservices.com/images/p/191-726.01_s500_p1._V04455f92_.jpg

I used the setup to replace the two Dallas NVRAMs in my 2440 as well
as hundreds of those crummy TI sockets in other instruments. DIP
sockets and parts just drop off of the board as the last lead is de
soldered and it takes 3 or 4 seconds per pin.

On Wed, 08 May 2013 19:52:00 -0000, "mosaicmerc"
<mosaicmerc@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

<stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .

Garth Daddy

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "mosaicmerc" <mosaicmerc@...> wrote:

[...]

<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

vdonisa

Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.

And the price of spare parts. The Hakko comes standard with a boatload of them.

-- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "serialdata1" <gdday@...> wrote:
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

Robert Simpson

Thanks for the tip.
Well, I hope it works, I just bought one. I struggle getting ecaps off PC mainboards with desoldering braid.
This is a major purchase for me, so got my fingers crossed.
Bob

[...]

<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

I think that desolder gun has only one diaphragm in the vacuum pump while the Hakko has two diaphragms for higher vacuum. The "Chinese copy" may still work but its not a Hakko.

Let us know how it works.

[...]

<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

Larry McDavid

I don't understand the logic of buying this Chinese Hakko-knock-off de-solder gun.

1. The eBay price is US$122 plus shipping US$37, totaling nearly US$159.

2. But, the gun offered is for 220 vac so you need a transformer.

3. I agree it appears that only one vacuum pump diaphragm is used, unlike the two in the Hakko 808. I believe air flow is the key to performance.

4. Shipping from Amazon is free, so the total Amazon price is US$180.

5. Where would you get spare parts for the Chinese gun?

Are you willing to deal with the mains voltage difference and the unknown performance to save US$21, or about 11%?

I don't understand this logic...

I normally use the Hakko for through-hole de-soldering. Tonight I needed to unsolder numerous solid wires from a row of terminal posts; I tried the Hakko gun and every wire fell off the terminal, with no excess solder remaining. The Hakko gun simply works...

Larry

On 5/8/2013 8:36 PM, serialdata1 wrote:
>You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a
popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

lazystrings

Interesting find,
There are a few models including this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-993A-110V-90W-Electric-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Gun-/310653327093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48546196f5

It is not clear if it comes with a 110V to 220V transformer.
I wish I could read the name of the manufacturer to check the web site.
Are there any spare parts available?

they have many models 993-994-995-996-997, and 998

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "vdonisa" <vdonisa@...> wrote:

Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.

And the price of spare parts. The Hakko comes standard with a boatload of them.

-- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "serialdata1" <gdday@> wrote:
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

PA4TIM

Before I had a Pace MB250 solder/desolderstation i made this http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=1802 it s a normal mechanical sucker. I remove the piston and spring. Closed that hole using some epoxy like stuff used in automotive ( it is from bison) around a piece of brass tubing. This is connected to a few meter festso vacuum hose. I use a refrigerator compressor as vaccuum pump. In the hose I mounted a petrolfilter and in the sucker i have a small dot of steelwool as filter ( like I do in my pace)
Worked great ( bought the pace because i needed a seond station and the desolder and tweezer ( still without the bizar expensive tips so I use home made ones) were a nice bonus.

Fred PA4TIM

Op 9 mei 2013 om 07:25 heeft "machineguy59" <machineguy59@...> het volgende geschreven:

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, Pa4tim <fredschneider@...> wrote:

[...]

You are correct only one diaphragm it should have been this one
Ebay No 360596617919
Same parts as Hakko a bit dearer than the other one.
Postage to me from USA would be more than China. Assuming Amazon would talk to me.
Also don't need a transformer, but I can not imagine any electronic enthusiast who has not a 110/220V transformer in his gear.
I already have the S-993A which I purchased some time ago it works quite well the reason I am using it now was when first purchased it burnt out the element after 2 minutes and I complained and demanded a re fund which I received, Then I finally found spare elements $20.00
Which I fitted and have used it successfully since.So I had a de solder gun for $20.00!!
The tips are expensive but if you have a lathe it is easy to make your own they only screw on the end with no long tube.
I just consider the extra suck from a twin diaphragm pump to be worth it, less chance of damage to an expensive/irreplaceable pc board.

Let us know how it works.

[...]

<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.

Heinz-Peter Deutsch

>It is not clear if it comes with a 110V to 220V transformer.
>Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.

Hey, you US guys,

with your old and out of time 110V Power System,

in which century do you want to change to a modern 230V power distribution???

;-)))

Peter

rpoz28cam

Now I have a comment on that one!
Even if it is off topic a bit!
Now tell me why would we in the U.S. of A want to goto a out of date 3 wire system (know you use less wire but...) versus our current 4 wire 120v-0v-120v system with Ground or our 5 wire (3ph Delta or Wye) system?  They work great, give us more options and allow us to make more money!.. :)))

JLM

>It is not clear if it comes with a 110V to 220V transformer.
>Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.
Hey, you US guys,
with your old and out of time 110V Power System,
in which century do you want to change to a modern 230V power distribution???
;-)))
Peter

rpoz28cam

I have a comment on that one!
Now why would we want to goto a 3 wire power distribution versus our 3 wire with ground system or our 5 wire (3ph) system.  They work great and give us more options to make money...:))

JLM

>It is not clear if it comes with a 110V to 220V transformer.
>Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.
Hey, you US guys,
with your old and out of time 110V Power System,
in which century do you want to change to a modern 230V power distribution???
;-)))
Peter

Ed Breya

What we really need is residential 460V three-phase - that would open up a lot more equipment options.

Ed

-------

Hey, you US guys,

with your old and out of time 110V Power System,

in which century do you want to change to a modern 230V power
distribution???

;-)))

Peter

rpoz28cam

Hey Ed,

Yes indeed it would, so many options then!
You have no idea how bad I wished I had three-phase at my home, although my family estate home on the lake here in Texas does have 208 3phase 400A service.. :)  and I just bought a 55cfm rotary compressor to spin that meter.. :)

JLM

--- In TekScopes@..., "H.P. Deutsch" wrote:

> >It is not clear if it comes with a 110V to 220V transformer.
> >Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.

> -------
>
> Hey, you US guys,
>
> with your old and out of time 110V Power System,
>
> in which century do you want to change to a modern 230V power
> distribution???
>
> ;-)))
>
> Peter

Heinz-Peter Deutsch

Of course, we use in our old middle aged country a  modern 5-wire 230V-0V power system (3x63A fuse).

No problem with hot wires ;-)

Enough for my PC …

Peter