Audio test generator and measurement - can anyone suggest a good set?

Hi guys,
De-lurking as I've been doing some measurement equipment related shopping :)

I'm slowly building up my workbench, and was wondering if anyone could
suggest what gear to get.

After getting a Tek 7704 I now need a good sinewave generator for some
work. I thought to myself, why buy just a sinewave generator, when I
could get a distortion meter? Those have sinewave and square built in,
are of variable frequency, and it's better to have one large box than
two large boxes.

Could someone suggest a good distortion analyzer that can be had
relatively inexpensively? I'm probably looking at vintage equipment at
this point because it can be had fairly cheaply. Something around 100
Euro would be a good start, but it's only a very roughly estimated
price range.. maybe those things can be had for much less -- or only
for much more? Note - doesn't necessarily have to be tektronix...
although I'll be perfectly happy if it is.

Also: are distortion analyzers always limited to 20 Hz - 20 kHz, or
are there not-too-unusual ones that go below 1Hz and high above?

What is the 'workhorse' distortion analyzer? Is there one or a few
that were very good and very popular? It's important to me not to buy
something relatively unknown, so that when it breaks I can find
replacements, schematics, and people who know how to repair them.

What other tools - other than a distortion analyzer - could I see
myself using when building filters, mixers, amplifiers, etc? In the
future I'd also like to work a bit on tube circuits, but this is not
currently a major focus.

My plan is to get a distortion analyser (with integrated square and
sine wave oscillators), and I already have a frequency counter for the
Tek 7000 coming in. I'd probably get a curve tracer at some point too,
and maybe a precision current and voltage source or precision
amplifier. Still need an esr/LC meter, I saw some boxes online. To
round this off I'd probably get an isolation transformer and possibly
variac (or both in one box). Currently not planning for a tube tester
or for anything that can measure transformers. Am I missing something
as far as the most basic measurement equipment goes?

Thanks,
D.

Bob Albert

I have an HP 331A which covers 5 Hz to 600 kHz.  It has no sine output, however.

Bob

[...]

Dave Daniel

The HP 339A has a lower distortion floor than the HP 331A has (0.002% vs 0.01%) and has a low-distortion oscillator built in. It took me awhile to find a 339A a an affordable price, but I'm glad I bought it. They're both good instruments, but the 339A is more useful IMHO.

DaveD

On 4/22/2013 11:56 AM, Bob Albert wrote:

[...]

Dave Wise

In its official role as distortion meter, the 339A is MUCH easier to use due to its automatic leveling and nulling, but this is also its weakness, as you can’t turn these features off.  The all-manual 331A can be pressed into service as a general-purpose tunable notch filter, and it goes up to 600kHz vs 110kHz for the 339A.   The 334A has automatic nulling which can be turned off, but leveling is manual.  If you need to check the distortion in the modulation of an AM signal, the RF Detector in the 332A and 334A covers a wider frequency range than the one in the 339A.

If you can’t have them all, you have to decide what you want the most.

Dave Wise

[...]

All of these seem to go for a lot more now than I remember.

DaveD

On 4/22/2013 12:22 PM, David Wise wrote:

[...]

David Gravereaux

On 04/22/2013 10:32 AM, cheater00 . wrote:
What is the 'workhorse' distortion analyzer? Is there one or a few
that were very good and very popular?
A bit esoteric, but I like these.

A Tektronix TM5006 with an AA5001 and an SG5010. About as good as it
gets in the analog domain, plus you can write GPIB scripts for it to
control it digitally (old but still modern enough). With the remainder
2-slots left in the mainframe, I like to have an SC502 scope dedicated
to watching 'function out' and 'input monitor'.

For an inductance meter, I made my own using an A6302 current probe,
AM5030 probe amp, a couple DM5010 meters for measuring A/C volts and
solved for X sub-L in a GPIB script.

With the scope, you'd be looking at around USD$1500 or so on the used
market.

--
David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "cheater00 ." <cheater00@...> wrote:

[...]

I've not heard of a distortion analyzer that contains a square wave generator, however, the HP 339A will certainly handle the oscillator and distortion analysis criteria. The frequency range is 10Hz to 110Hz for both functions.
The HP 334A has a wider frequency range (5Hz to 600KHz, and also has an AM detector to allow distortion analysis on AM signals), but contains no oscillator output.
Both are frequently available on eBay.

You might investigate the Tektronix TM500 series of modular equipment. The series contains oscillators, function generators, scopes, counters, pulse generators, etc. The modules plug into a mainframe/power supply. This flexibility means that you can build an instrument containing all the instruments that you need for frequency response, distortion, etc., into a single package. If your aim is for scope repair and calibration, you can assemble all the needed equipment into a single package, interchanging the modules as you wish.
Most are on eBay frequently. These modules are somewhat more costly than conventionally packaged bench test equipment, but their small size and interchangeability are great benefits.

All that said, the equipemnt that you should target is highly dependent on the type of equipment that you will be servicing. Give us an example of the types and quality of the equipment to be serviced and we can offer more pertinent suggestions.

Cheers,
Dave M

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Here's the kind of projects I'd be interested in mostly:
- line and headphone amplifiers. Not solid-state power amplifiers
except for low-power (say 20 Watt)
- audio mixers
- tube power amplifiers, guitar amplifiers (this is the maximum
voltage I'd want to probe things at.. what's your experience - probes
safe up to 1kV should be good for that general area, right?)
- equalizers
- VCA's VCF's, VCO's for musical synthesizers
- audio compressors
- power supplies (output impedance testing, ...)

no radio or scope testing. The maximal amount of work I'd do in scope
testing would be to see if the 7704 I have still works OK after I
recap it (if I do at all). If I really needed to get a scope that can
do reliable measurements I'd probably go the whole way and import a
7104(A) - or two - from the states.

Perhaps the most ambitious projects would be a high-headroom,
low-noise DAC and headphone amplifier, or a high-headroom mastering
mixing desk with 16 channels with a useable freq range of DC to ~400
kHz.

Thanks again
Damian

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM, David <dgminala@mediacombb.net> wrote:

[...]

Don Black <donald_black@...>

I don't own a 7104. However there has been a lot of discussion here about them lately and while they are a marvelous work of art the CRT is delicate. In particular the micro Chanel wears out with use, particularly at higher intensity. If you need it's performance it's a great choice but for day to day use you'd be better off a model down (what you have should be more than enough for what you're doing).

Don Black.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM, David <dgminala@...> wrote:

> [...]
> Most are on eBay frequently. These modules are somewhat more costly than conventionally packaged bench test equipment, but their small size and interchangeability are great benefits.
>
> All that said, the equipemnt that you should target is highly dependent on the type of equipment that you will be servicing. Give us an example of the types and quality of the equipment to be serviced and we can offer more pertinent suggestions.

Dave Daniel

The Tek TM500 and TM5000 series instruments are highly useful. It is important to note, though, that if you are going to target particular plug-ins, you need to make sure that you have the correct mainframe (500 or 5000), as not all plug-ins work in both. Some do, some don't I'm still trying to sort this out (I just bought a TM5006 and have had a TM506 for a few years). The distortion analyzer mentioned below (AA5010) only works in the 5000-series frames.

There is also a "canned" set of Tek plug-ins that were basically (I think) modified versions of the plug-ins put together in a frame to make a high-performance distortion set, consisting of  TM504A Mod WQ frame, SG-505 Mod WQ, FG-503 Mod WR and AA-501A Mod WQ plug-ins. The instrument manual refers to the collection as "F7523A1 Mod WQ Distortion Test Set". The manual is available on the web, but I forget from what web site I downloaded it. I don't have any experience with this set up, but it looks intriguing. Maybe someone else owns one and can elucidate.

Cheers,
DaveD

On 4/22/2013 12:52 PM, David wrote:

> [...]

Most are on eBay frequently. These modules are somewhat more costly than conventionally packaged bench test equipment, but their small size and interchangeability are great benefits.

All that said, the equipemnt that you should target is highly dependent on the type of equipment that you will be servicing. Give us an example of the types and quality of the equipment to be serviced and we can offer more pertinent suggestions.

magnustoelle

Hello,

I second Dave's statements on the usefulness of the HP 339A.

A bit of a show-off, but here you will find a few FFTs and plots which I contributed to Ralf's website some three years back:

http://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/Hewlett_Packard/HP_analyzer/HP339A.htm

It has proven its very good performance when tested with an AP System One.

Cheers,

Magnus

Dave Daniel

You also might want a true RMS voltmeter (I like my old HP 3403C - a very cool instrument) and several variable-DC power supplies, including a tracking bipolar supply if you are going to be doing anything requiring +/- voltage rails. A high-voltage supply if you are going to do any vacuum tube work that uses large B+ voltages.

DaveD

On 4/22/2013 11:32 AM, cheater00 . wrote:

[...]

Jim <n6otq@...>

If anybody's interested, I have an HP 331A that'll go for a very reasonable offer plus shipping from 78726.  Local pickup OK.  Condx unknown but seems to be unmolested internally, and not too beat up overall.

Email offlist, please.

73
Jim N6OTQ

[...]

I see that to do the THD test on a 339A, the manual suggests using another 339A as a notch filter.

Dave

[...]

Unless there is a strong continuous signal at the frequency you want to notch out, you have to mix some in, otherwise the second 339A won’t lock onto it.

Dave Wise

[...]

The test setup shows the oscillator out of the 339A DUT connected to the input of the 2nd 339A, whose monitor out is then fed to a spectrum analyzer.

DaveD

On 4/22/2013 5:33 PM, David Wise wrote:

[...]

jones_chap

Please refrain...the AA5001 will work in both 500 and 5000 frames unlike the SG5010.  IIRC, AA5001's GPIB can be retracted within the plugin or be removed.  Check manual for greater detail.

Re: [TekScopes] Re: Audio test generator and measurement - can anyone suggest a good set?

--- In TekScopes@..., "cheater00 ." <cheater00@...> wrote:

> [...]

Most are on eBay frequently. These modules are somewhat more costly than conventionally packaged bench test equipment, but their small size and interchangeability are great benefits.

All that said, the equipemnt that you should target is highly dependent on the type of equipment that you will be servicing. Give us an example of the types and quality of the equipment to be serviced and we can offer more pertinent suggestions.

Don Lewis <dlewis11193@...>

I have a model 333A that has an 'automatic' mode, ...as well.

-Don

[...]

Egge Siert

Hi Jones and others,

Only the SG5010 has a "put back" GPIB Board and will work (according to the Manual) in a TM500 Power Supply (TM506A prefered, please no convection cooled Power Supplies). The AA5001 hasn't this provision.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

Egge Siert

Hi D.

Maybe I missed the suggestion in the thread, but Sound Technology made at the end of the seventies and deep into the eighties very nice complete Distortion/Intermodulation Test-Sets. These complete sets are still available on eBay for a fraction of the "normal" prices of the Tektronix TM500/5000 Audio Test-Sets. In addition most Sound Technology Manuals are free Downloadable (Ben Duncan's site).

Greetings,

Egge Siert