plastic binders for Tek instruction manuals

Christopher Hilton-Johnson

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

I get mine at Office Depot, but there are numerous sellers over on
the "evil empire" !! Look for GBC Binders.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Christopher Hilton-Johnson <chj@...> wrote:

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Dave Daniel

I did a search on the web for "white plastic binder spines" and got quite a few hits, too numerous to list. I often have one of the local Kinkos bind manuals for me using black spines; never asked if they have white. Probably any decent office supply store can get them. My quick perusal on the web showed spines up to 2"/425 pages.

I have the same problem with a few of my Tek manuals. For some reason, I never thought to look for replacements.

Cheers,
Dave

On 2/12/2013 9:08 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
�

I get mine at Office Depot, but there are numerous sellers over on
the "evil empire" !! Look for GBC Binders.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Christopher Hilton-Johnson <chj@...> wrote:
�

anyone have a source (either UK or US)�for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly�done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Jim Reese

ibico is the company that makes them here in the U.S.

I have a couple perforating/assembly machines and lots of plastic comb bindings. You almost need the machine to put the pages in the comb, or you have to be really patient to do it page by page!

Regards,

Jim

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Albert <aodiversen@...>

A search for " plastic binding combs 19 " (19 holes) shows this for instance:
http://www.binding.com/productdetail.aspx?id=6202021901
Albert

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the
(frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold
the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem
deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing
order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

I bought one of the mechanical perf/bind machines for short money
"over there". Shipping cost as much as the machine !! But it works
very well, up to a 2" spine.

Just look for GBC Binders.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Jim Reese <nfeinc@...> wrote:

ibico is the company that makes them here in the U.S.

I have a couple perforating/assembly machines and lots of plastic comb bindings. You almost need the machine to put the pages in the comb, or you have to be really patient to do it page by page!

Regards,

Jim

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Dave Daniel

Yes, I just copied an old Heathkit HW-20 manual by removing the comb and copying the manual and the fold-outs page-by-page. Re-assembling the manual took a long time because the pages were somewhat brittle and i didn't want to rip the comb holes open. It helps tremendously to line up the comb holes as perfectly as possible with some sort of took and then clamp the pages together with spring paper clamps. I probably wouldn't have had the patience to do that twenty years ago.

Any idea what the perf/assembly machines go for on the used market?

Dave

On 2/12/2013 9:13 AM, Jim Reese wrote:

ibico is the company that makes them here in the U.S.

I have a couple perforating/assembly machines and lots of plastic comb bindings. You almost need the machine to put the pages in the comb, or you have to be really patient to do it page by page!

Regards,

Jim

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

Chris

Evil Bay has lots of em ...but most office supply places carry them....the larger ones (1" to 2" or 3cm to 6cm)  are a little harder to find ...call ahead

If you know the secret ( contact me off list) they are not that hard to replace without the machine..Personally though the ones for my own use  here in the shop that get that way ...I three hole punch and put in a 3 ring binder.. Easier to take a page out when I am working in the shop

FYI
Dave
ArtekManuals

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...

Tom Phillips

The binding machines that I have used are big and heavy. For me it wouldn't be practical to own one. I think the copy shop (Kinko's or other) is the best approach to fixing your binding. Don't know about the colors they stock.

Another approach, if you are OK with deviating from the stock look is to buy one of the special ring binders that have multiple oblong rings that exactly fit the hole pattern used for plastic spines.

Cheers,
Tom

Larry McDavid

These are widely referred to as "GBC" binder combs. The machines to punch the 19 holes and to install the binder combs are often seen on eBay. There are both manual and electric powered machines available; obviously, the manual machines are much less expensive.

Stationery stores such as Office Depot and Staples sell both the machines and the binder combs.

It is possible to install the combs without a machine, but it can be exasperating...

It is wise to buy a larger diameter comb than originally used as the pages will turn more easily and lay flat more readily--and be easier to install without a machine.

Kinko's--now FedExpress Office--can punch the holes and install the combs.

Larry

On 2/12/2013 8:18 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:
Yes, I just copied an old Heathkit HW-20 manual by removing the comb and
copying the manual and the fold-outs page-by-page. Re-assembling the
manual took a long time because the pages were somewhat brittle and i
didn't want to rip the comb holes open. It helps tremendously to line up
the comb holes as perfectly as possible with some sort of took and then
clamp the pages together with spring paper clamps. I probably wouldn't
have had the patience to do that twenty years ago.

Any idea what the perf/assembly machines go for on the used market?

Dave

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

Just go into Staples - they have the binding machines and plastic bindings in any size up to about 4".

The charge about a fiver (or less) to rebind a manual IIRC

Regards,
David Partridge

________________________________

From: Christopher Hilton-Johnson
To: TekScopes@...
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 11:01 AM

anyone have a source (either UK or US) for replacements for the (frequently brittle/broken) white plastic spiral binders used to hold the Tek instruction manuals together
My 7704A manual is now a loose collection of pages which seem deliberately to randomly re-order themselves into the most confusing order possible, seemingly done slyly & overnight!
regards
Chris HJ

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...
www.Artekmanuals.com
PO Box 175
Welch,MN 55089
651-269-4265

Alex <alexeisenhut@...>

Are you near a university? Their stationery store should have them.