Sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes?

keithostertag <keitho@...>

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Dave Daniel

Not sure about the box, but I use the styrofoam containers that are used to ship refrigerated medication; the ones I have available to me are about 12" each dimension. They are sort of like a thick-walled styrofoam cooler (about 2-1/2" thick). I cut each piece (top and bottom) into quarters and use the quarters as corner blocks for heavier test equipment.  Perhaps you could get some of these from a local medical place such as a hospital or clinic?

I've thought about using expanding foam from a spray can (the Home Depot variety) and plastic sheeting to mimic what professional shippers use, but I've never tried it. I have received many large items packed that way (I mean by professionals), and never had a problem with the gear so shipped.

Cheers,
Dave

On 2/9/2013 3:29 PM, keithostertag wrote:

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

When you find them ( need a contractor buddy) I have found that the boxes used for porcelain toilets work quite well for the outer "shell"

Dave

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...

Rob <rgwood@...>

r.e. >>>“I've thought about using expanding foam from a spray can (the Home Depot variety) and plastic sheeting to mimic what professional shippers use, but I've never tried it.”<<<

I attempted same. However I ran into issues because there is no place for the off gas to go and everything maintains liquid in the bag. It made a mess as well. If the stuff gets out of the bag and on equipment it is not forgiving at all.

That said, I think if someone had more patients and tenacity then I; a scheme to deal with the off gas issue, allowing the material to solidify. Thus allowing the idea to be successful.

Finally, I have found the boxes at this link to be  ideal for 7xx3 7000 series scopes. However, for 7xx4 while serviceable they are a little tight and I am likely to move to a 26x16x14(or more) solution.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16503/Literature-Mailers/26-x-16-x-12-Jumbo-Carrying-Case

Unfortunately, I have also found that no matter how carefully I pack and/or mark shipments it seems the post office (and others) have employees who take it upon themselves to prove how wholly inadequate my packaging and/or force me to file shipping insurance claims.  All in all the shipping and lack of care the main reason that once I have finished my current supplies of mainframes I will not attempt similar. I have enjoyed the journey to date but find the “releasing to the wild” part cumbersome, expensive and totally unfulfilling.

Hopefully helpful

Rob

On 2/9/2013 4:23 PM, Rob wrote:

r.e. >>>“I've thought about using expanding foam from a spray can (the Home Depot variety) and plastic sheeting to mimic what professional shippers use, but I've never tried it.”<<<

I attempted same. However I ran into issues because there is no place for the off gas to go and everything maintains liquid in the bag. It made a mess as well. If the stuff gets out of the bag and on equipment it is not forgiving at all.

Did you spray in into a bag? I was thinking I would enclose the instrument in a sturdy sealed bag, then just spray the foam into the empty box and hold the instrument off the bottom of the box until the foam expanded around the instrument.

Dave

[...]

danishcah <danishcah@...>

Try a music store..Many mixers,speakers,and guitar amps are the sizes we need, some even have dandy packing corners,hi-density closed cell foam-forms, large plastic bags, etc.
I was the tech for one for 15 years, funny, you'd think I would have thought of it before now.
Most are marked Fragile, this side up,etc, and they should be glad to get rid of them,just be sure you say what it's for.Go around back and talk to the dock-man.
They will frown on someone wanting one them to ship an amp because mailorder and eBay are a looming threat to them now that there are no in-house warranty repairs done anymore, anywhere.
Onward /..into the fog .. Dana

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "keithostertag" wrote:

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Ron York

Try your local mom and pop appliance store. Even if you don't take
the entire box, the boxes often contain exceptionally strong edge and
corner reinforcements that are invaluable for packing.

Ron

On 2/9/13, keithostertag <keitho@strucktower.com> wrote:
What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500
and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common
items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

cnc_joker <preilley_454@...>

About the best padding for these old heavy scopes at the right
price (free) is foam rubber from old seat cusions. It has
the right stiffness for heavy electronics. You can get
it free from people who do upolstering or at the dump. You
could try funiture stores for the old stuff that they haul away.
It is easy to cut with a sharp box cutter. You can cut shapes
the cradle the equipment. It is environmently sound, it was
going to be thrown out anyway!

Pete.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "keithostertag" wrote:

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Eric Schumacher

Hi Group

Here’s a vote for the Home Depot foam in a can. Just lay a sheet of plastic, like saran wrap, into the box. Put down s second sheet of plastic probably heavier stuff into/over the box and set the equipment in. Foam the space between the two pieces of plastic. If you are cheap like me throw lots of peanuts and busted up Styrofoam in the foam to take up space and maybe help position the item being shipped.

Eric

[...]

Doug Henry

I found a good commercial solution here:
www.hamradioboxes.com
Dave's specialty is making custom (right strength and right size) shipping boxes for ham radio equipment. I just bought a couple for some heavy radios and the boxes were perfect.
Doug Henry

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "keithostertag" wrote:

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

d.seiter@...

I've found that correct sized boxes with appropriate wall strength can be difficult to find.  I almost always make my own boxes (both inner and outer) from scavenged bicycle boxes.  It takes a while to build them, and you really need to be able to visualize the entire process, but I've never had a scope "killed" by UPS, USPS or DHL.  I use 3" and 4" pinkpoly type foam planking (scrap from work), and many times the outer box becomes a sacrificial part of the package.  Four bay scopes are too large for real double boxing via the USPS, but three bay scopes are ok.

-Dave

Alex <alexeisenhut@...>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, d.seiter@... wrote:

I've found that correct sized boxes with appropriate wall strength can be difficult to find. I almost always make my own boxes (both inner and outer) from scavenged bicycle boxes. It takes a while to build them, and you really need to be able to visualize the entire process, but I've never had a scope "killed" by UPS, USPS or DHL. I use 3" and 4" pinkpoly type foam planking (scrap from work), and many times the outer box becomes a sacrificial part of the package. Four bay scopes are too large for real double boxing via the USPS, but three bay scopes are ok.

-Dave

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Rob <rgwood@...>

Dave <<<<<

I sprayed it into a bag of sorts. I basically did as you describe. Except I lined both sides making a bag of sorts. I then sprayed the foam into the bag thinking it would expand and fill the void. It did not. To make matters worse it stayed liquid so when I removed my ‘bag’ some slop found the path that Mr. Murphy had left in the bag…..This was followed shortly thereafter with a new path of discovery for me, in that I now had to ascertain what chemicals would remove said goop *this is a technical term* w/o causing damage to the surrounding materials…. while the stuff wouldn’t set up in the bag,…it set up quickly (w/o expanding more like a river of contact cement) once it found any suitable surface….I would share the spontaneous language  that was torn from my mouth at about the same time… However, I think it may push the P.G. rating on the forum a tad towards the R so shall refrain….

Anyway, as I said, I gave up pretty easily. I am pretty sure if you work at it a little you will have better success then I. If there is any lesson to be learned from me it is; the stuff apparently needs to breath to work properly. If you enclose it completely it will stay liquid. Also of note is I didn’t give it a lot of time. It may have eventually set up. I was hoping for an easy method and it didn’t seem to me that was going to happen so I pursued another path.

If you do try it and come up with a method and/or are successful. I would like to know.

Sorry so rambling today…  Thanks as always for the bandwidth

Rob

On 2/9/2013 3:29 PM, keithostertag wrote:

What are sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes, like the 500 and 7000 series? I rarely find boxes that large, or sturdy. Are there common items/businesses that use that size/type box?

Any other tips for shipping/packing?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Gala Dragos

>>  deal with the off gas issue
put some straws next to the equipment, so they can vent the inside gas.

PU foam will heal itself after some time, it just takes longer for the inside.

Personally I prefer multiple wrappings of bubble wrap, and many many nuts, so many that they cannot move.

Mark Wendt (Contractor) <mark.wendt@...>

On 2/9/2013 6:58 PM, Dave Daniel wrote:
Did you spray in into a bag? I was thinking I would enclose the instrument in a sturdy sealed bag, then just spray the foam into the empty box and hold the instrument off the bottom of the box until the foam expanded around the instrument.

Dave
How would you then get the instrument out of the block of foam though?

Mark

Ron York

Watch out for bed bugs with that kind of salvage. Seriously.

Ron

On 2/9/13, cnc_joker <preilley_454@comcast.net> wrote:

About the best padding for these old heavy scopes at the right
price (free) is foam rubber from old seat cusions. It has
the right stiffness for heavy electronics. You can get
it free from people who do upolstering or at the dump. You
could try funiture stores for the old stuff that they haul away.
It is easy to cut with a sharp box cutter. You can cut shapes
the cradle the equipment. It is environmently sound, it was
going to be thrown out anyway!

keithostertag <keitho@...>

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

I think I will not try the spray foam in a box idea- as Rob relates, it can be a bloody mess.

The boxes at appliance shops (when you can get them) are often way oversized. In the past, for padding and in order to fill space in an over large box I have used other smaller boxes (of which I have plenty) and even empty 1 liter plastic bottles (from soft drinks, juice, etc)- as long as you screw the caps on they make very good filler that is stiff yet cushioning but can't be crushed. Also, I'll put peanuts in bags, and use those bags as filler, rather than use just the loose peanuts.

I'll look into your suggestions/sources.

Thanks!

Keith

John Griessen

On 02/09/2013 04:29 PM, keithostertag wrote:
Any other tips for shipping/packing?
You can take generic large boxes apart and reconstruct a box or two around it.
Corner protection by folded corrugated in many layers in a three sided pyramid
is one of the essentials. Sometimes you can see these crate packing
corner protector parts made of cast paper or stiff foam and save for later use for scopes.

Two identical shorter boxes can be slid over each other to make a longer box
and held by reinforced strapping tape all the way around the ends.

Alexandre Souza - Listas <pu1bzz.listas@...>

Watch out for bed bugs with that kind of salvage. Seriously.
+1 for me. This is a serious danger and (at least here in Brazil) hard to decontaminate.

John Griessen

On 02/10/2013 08:43 AM, keithostertag wrote:
for padding and in order to fill space
in an over large box I have used other smaller boxes (of which I have plenty) and even empty 1 liter plastic bottles (from soft
drinks, juice, etc)- as long as you screw the caps on they make very good filler that is stiff yet cushioning but can't be
crushed. Also, I'll put peanuts in bags, and use those bags as filler, rather than use just the loose peanuts.

I'll look into your suggestions/sources.
Sounds good. Think corner protector that can't slip and is very stiff since corners take the full load
at a small area. That's essential.