Topics

OT: eBay removes

Chris Trask - N7ZWY/WDX3HLB

I'm getting more and more T'd off with eBay. Here's their latest wheeze.
<<SNIP>>

I'm not the least bit surprised about this, and I can't imagine how I would become more disappointed in the "improvements" instigated by the eBay cyber-toddlers. In the past two years I've watched as eBay goes from being a very useful medium for finding parts and equipment to being a nightmare of confusion as major changes take place from one week to the next, sometimes one day to the next.

Chris

Chris Trask - N7ZWY/WDX3HLB

Search engines in general getting worse (for people who actually know
how to spell what they're looking for). The worst characteristic of
eBay is that it corrects your spelling if your search doesn't find
anything. It's particularly annoying when searching for part numbers
since it will change them to something similar, and it's easy to miss
it if you don't look carefully. I've almost bought the wrong part
several times because of that.

Also, eBay and Google like to treat every work as a wildcard, and also
show synonyms. They seem to think that more hits are better, even if
they aren't relevant.
I would very much like to find a search engine that does not parse out phrases. If I put in a phrase as a search criterion, I want the phrase, the whole phrase, and nothing but the phrase.

Chris

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

try putting the quote marks    "   at the beginning and end of the phrase this will work on "some" searches

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...

My search term Tektronix SC50* is now Tektronix (sc501,sc502,sc503,sc504,sc 501,sc 502,sc 503,sc 504)    thanks alot. damn kids!

Jerry Massengale

try putting the quote marks    "   at the beginning and end of the phrase this will work on "some" searches

On 11/2/2012 10:49 AM, Chris Trask wrote:

> Search engines in general getting worse (for people who actually know
> how to spell what they're looking for). The worst characteristic of
> eBay is that it corrects your spelling if your search doesn't find
> anything. It's particularly annoying when searching for part numbers
> since it will change them to something similar, and it's easy to miss
> it if you don't look carefully. I've almost bought the wrong part
> several times because of that.
>
> Also, eBay and Google like to treat every work as a wildcard, and also
> show synonyms. They seem to think that more hits are better, even if
> they aren't relevant.

I would very much like to find a search engine that does not parse out phrases. If I put in a phrase as a search criterion, I want the phrase, the whole phrase, and nothing but the phrase.

Chris

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...
www.Artekmanuals.com
PO Box 175
Welch,MN 55089
651-269-4265

DiPaolo Richard <kathnrich@...>

*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.

   All The Best, Rich D.

My search term Tektronix SC50* is now Tektronix (sc501,sc502,sc503,sc504,sc 501,sc 502,sc 503,sc 504)    thanks alot. damn kids!

Jerry Massengale

try putting the quote marks    "   at the beginning and end of the phrase this will work on "some" searches

On 11/2/2012 10:49 AM, Chris Trask wrote:

> Search engines in general getting worse (for people who actually know
> how to spell what they're looking for). The worst characteristic of
> eBay is that it corrects your spelling if your search doesn't find
> anything. It's particularly annoying when searching for part numbers
> since it will change them to something similar, and it's easy to miss
> it if you don't look carefully. I've almost bought the wrong part
> several times because of that.
>
> Also, eBay and Google like to treat every work as a wildcard, and also
> show synonyms. They seem to think that more hits are better, even if
> they aren't relevant.

I would very much like to find a search engine that does not parse out phrases. If I put in a phrase as a search criterion, I want the phrase, the whole phrase, and nothing but the phrase.

Chris

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...
www.Artekmanuals.com
PO Box 175
Welch,MN 55089
651-269-4265

John Griessen

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.
The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!

Richard Solomon

And, just to add fuel .... the Edit Search function does not work.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, John Griessen <john@...> wrote:

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
> *'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
> the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.

The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!

Paul Amaranth

If they didn't have all the dang patents tied up this would be a good
time for a competitor to move in.

Paul

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 09:40:20AM -0700, Richard Solomon wrote:
And, just to add fuel .... the Edit Search function does not work.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, John Griessen <@jgriessen> wrote:

**

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring
performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.
The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!

--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
paul@... | Unix & Windows

A lot of my saved searches already looked like that.

I notice that their "automatic" matching does NOT return the same
results as the * wildcard searches.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:02:03 -0400 (EDT), jerry massengale
<@jmassen418> wrote:

My search term Tektronix SC50* is now Tektronix (sc501,sc502,sc503,sc504,sc 501,sc 502,sc 503,sc 504) thanks alot. damn kids!

Jerry Massengale

David DiGiacomo

Are you using Firefox? Try a different browser for that.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...> wrote:

And, just to add fuel .... the Edit Search function does not work.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, John Griessen <@jgriessen> wrote:

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.
The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:38:10 -0500, John Griessen
<@jgriessen> wrote:

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.
The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!
I am still pissed off that they changed their HTML to produce only a
narrow tablet formatted display.

Richard Solomon

I do use Firefox and it did work before. Perhaps it's the Microsoft
influence !!

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM, David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@...> wrote:

Are you using Firefox? Try a different browser for that.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...> wrote:

> And, just to add fuel .... the Edit Search function does not work.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, John Griessen <john@...> wrote:
>>

>> On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
>> > *'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
>> > the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.
>>
>> The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
>> most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.
>>
>> Gripe gripe gripe!

I guess I will just have to write some scripts to scrape my search
requests. Since I will be able to get results every hour or few
minutes instead of every day, that should improve their server
utilization plenty and they will not have to bother storing my saved
searches or sending email.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:31:07 -0700 (PDT), DiPaolo Richard
<kathnrich@...> wrote:

*'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.

   All The Best, Rich D.

Bert Haskins

On 11/02/2012 12:02 PM, jerry massengale wrote:

M y sear ch term Tektronix SC50* is now Tektronix (sc501,sc502,sc50 3,sc504,sc 501,sc 502,sc 503,sc 504)    thanks alot. damn kids!

Jerry Massengale

try putting the quote marks    "   at the beginning and end of the phrase this will work on "some" searches

On 11/2/2012 10:49 AM, Chris Trask wrote:

> Search engines in general getting worse (for people who actually know
> how to spell what they're looking for). The worst characteristic of
> eBay is that it corrects your spelling if your search doesn't find
> anything. It's particularly annoying when searching for part numbers
> since it will change them to something similar, and it's easy to miss
> it if you don't look carefully. I've almost bought the wrong part
> several times because of that.
>
> Also, eBay and Google like to treat every work as a wildcard, and also
> show synonyms. They seem to think that more hits are better, even if
> they aren't relevant.

I would very much like to find a search engine that does not parse out phrases. If I put in a phrase as a search criterion, I want the phrase, the whole phrase, and nothing but the phrase.

Chris
I often, at used to, search using the term tek* (7a*),(7b*),(7c*),(7d*) -topps -teken -manual*.
Can you imagine just how much junk that is going to bring back?

My ebay purchase count is going lower with each passing month.
This new, stupid trick will add to that trend.
Maybe we should relax the rule about advertising on this list.
Yeh, I know but if adds had "AD" at the beginning they would just be swept away.

--
Dave Henderson
Manuals@...

Mine did not either. I had to delete the search and rewrite it

Jerry Massengale

And, just to add fuel .... the Edit Search function does not work.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, John Griessen <john@...> wrote:

On 11/02/2012 11:31 AM, DiPaolo Richard wrote:
> *'s searches, bog down servers. They were probably monitoring performance on their systems and some pimple faced kid spotted that
> the * searches, were taking up too much computing power. Damn kids.

The way de-evolution is so often called an improvement these days suggests
most corps think the customer is stupid, and should be used for traction.

Gripe gripe gripe!

Mike

--- In TekScopes@..., Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

I'm getting more and more T'd off with eBay. Here's their latest wheeze.
<<SNIP>>

I'm not the least bit surprised about this, and I can't imagine how I would become more disappointed in the "improvements" instigated by the eBay cyber-toddlers. In the past two years I've watched as eBay goes from being a very useful medium for finding parts and equipment to being a nightmare of confusion as major changes take place from one week to the next, sometimes one day to the next.

Chris

Jim <n6otq@...>

I put in my $0.02 -- I am "acresofradiojunk."

73
Jim N6OTQ

PS -- My opinion is of little relevance, since I buy almost nothing from ebay nowadays, and use it primarily to determine FMV of surplus.  I've had far too many bad experiences on there -- including with PayPal, which I now use ONLY when selling to folks overseas, and purchase with it ONLY if there happens to be some necessary hobby item that simply cannot be sourced anywhere else besides fleabay.

Folks- we hear you, now please tell eBay. All together now...

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Search/Ebay-Discontinuing-Wildcard/5100116578?start=24&ts=1351878062352#msg5201569191

mike

--- In TekScopes@..., Chris Trask wrote:

> >I'm getting more and more T'd off with eBay.  Here's their latest wheeze.
> >

>      <>
>
>      I'm not the least bit surprised about this, and I can't imagine how I would become more disappointed in the "improvements" instigated by the eBay cyber-toddlers.  In the past two years I've watched as eBay goes from being a very useful medium for finding parts and equipment to being a nightmare of confusion as major changes take place from one week to the next, sometimes one day to the next.
>
> Chris

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    TekScopes-digest@...
    TekScopes-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Chris Trask - N7ZWY/WDX3HLB

I would very much like to find a search engine that does not parse out
phrases. If I put in a phrase as a search criterion, I want the
phrase, the whole phrase, and nothing but the phrase.
try putting the quote marks " at the beginning and end of the
phrase this will work on "some" searches
No, it does not work at all on any Google searches.

Chris

And email julie_lavee@... to complain

Regards,
David Partridge

Folks- we hear you, now please tell eBay. All together now...

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Search/Ebay-Discontinuing-Wildcard/5100116578?start=24&ts=1351878062352#msg5201569191

mike

--- In TekScopes@..., Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

I'm getting more and more T'd off with eBay. Here's their latest wheeze.
<<SNIP>>

I'm not the least bit surprised about this, and I can't imagine how I would become more disappointed in the "improvements" instigated by the eBay cyber-toddlers. In the past two years I've watched as eBay goes from being a very useful medium for finding parts and equipment to being a nightmare of confusion as major changes take place from one week to the next, sometimes one day to the next.

Chris

stefan_trethan

I can not determine exactly how Google decides to change your request.
If there is no match it sometimes informs you of that fact and
searches without quotes, but sometimes it just changes your search
string. It appears you need to enter something very similar to a
common expression for it to assume you mistyped and substitute, if you
are very far off it will not do that.

Some examples:
"the birds are the bees" will lead to "no results" - search without quotes.
"the birds ban the bees" will lead to the same search results as "the
birds and the bees" with no notice.
"the birds hate the bees" will work correctly (4 results).

I don't think it ever substitutes if there are any results at all so I
consider this barely acceptable.

Ebay is stupid for dropping the *, I used it extensively.

ST