From: doyle.paul48 <doylepf@gmail.com>
Subject: [TekScopes] Tek Colour Schemes
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 7:13 PM

G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the tinting
mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes have that
batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a freshen up.
I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up. Any ideas ?
CRO-TEK
paul.doyle@gmail. com

Joe Rooney <ikerooney@...>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "doyle.paul48" <doylepf@...> wrote:

G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the tinting
mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes have
that
batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a freshen
up.
I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up. Any
ideas ?
CRO-TEK
paul.doyle@...
Paul,

Look for Azure Blue at your paint store. Let me tell you that I
could never get a good match repainting side panels and covers, ended
up painting the whole effing thing. Unless you have one of the
really old jobs with the crinkle texture, ouch! I could never get a
blend.

I'd say, change colors for the love of art for art's sake.
Fashionistas are saying brilliant and bold colors are back in
popularity, my personal favorites are International Orange, Haze
Gray, and Olive Drab.

The Tek PN for a 12 oz can of the spray paint was 013-0092-00 or
something like that.

Joe Rooney

Tim Phillips <tim@...>

From Tim P (UK)
IIRC, Stan Griffiths used to sell aerosol cans of Tek Blue.
Larry Christopher had some 'scopes painted in 'non-blue',
like 'Hazard Yellow' or 'Barbie Pink' ! In fact, it may be
worth checking 'The Oscilloscope Store' on e-bay stores;
Sometimes there are things like front panels, side panels
and various parted-out hardware. I got some of those
'shiny rods' used on plug-ins from him.
FWIW
Tim P

> G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the tinting
> mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes have
that
> batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a freshen
up.
> I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
> handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up. Any
ideas ?
> CRO-TEK
> paul.doyle@...

Paul,

Look for Azure Blue at your paint store. Let me tell you that I
could never get a good match repainting side panels and covers, ended
up painting the whole effing thing. Unless you have one of the
really old jobs with the crinkle texture, ouch! I could never get a
blend.

I'd say, change colors for the love of art for art's sake.
Fashionistas are saying brilliant and bold colors are back in
popularity, my personal favorites are International Orange, Haze
Gray, and Olive Drab.

The Tek PN for a 12 oz can of the spray paint was 013-0092-00 or
something like that.

Joe Rooney

tom jobe <tomjobe@...>

How about taking a sample Tektronix panel to your local automotive paint
store, and ask to have it matched in the paint of your choice?
It might even be possible to have your custom mixed color put into spray
cans.
Big "Home Improvement Stores" often have color matching machines, although
their selection of paint types might not include what you want.
tom jobe...

snapdiode <alex.eisenhut@...>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "doyle.paul48" <doylepf@...> wrote:

G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the tinting
mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes have that
batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a freshen up.
I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up. Any ideas ?
CRO-TEK
paul.doyle@...
From the archives:

The part number 252-0092-02 (16 OZ AROSOL CAN, OPEX CUSTOM PRODUCTION
LACQUER BLUE L99XXL42, MSDS01621300, SHERWIN-WILLIAMS) is $20.00 MSRP
each and is currently in stock. If not in stock at the time that you
order, it will have a 5 week lead time.

The part number 252-0217-03 (PAINT; SHWEWIN-WILLIAMS,OEPX L61
PRODUCTION LACQUER,L61XX NON-LEAD CUSTOM COLOR L99XXA85,16 OZ
AEROSOL,TEX TV GRAY)is $14.00 MSRP each and is currently in stock. If
not in stock at the time that you order, it will have a 3 week lead
time.

To place an order, please call 1-800-833-9200, option 1 for Sales. You
will need to speak with them as this is considered hazardous material
and needs special shipping arangements.

snapdiode <alex.eisenhut@...>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "snapdiode" <alex.eisenhut@...> wrote:

Oh yeah and don't let them tell you they don't sell paint, just give
them the part number! They don't know themselves that they sell
paint... But they do say that it's running out soon.

Joe Rooney <ikerooney@...>

Most attempts by touching up with the Tek paint, whether brushed or
sprayed resulted in side panels suffering from measels.

The best result was painting the whole panel. While working at the
Rockville Service Center, I saw and used my last can of crinkle
paint. Fascinating to brush it on and later seeing it wrinkle up.
It was a light tan or brown color.

Joe Rooney

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Phillips" <tim@...> wrote:

From Tim P (UK)
IIRC, Stan Griffiths used to sell aerosol cans of Tek Blue.
Larry Christopher had some 'scopes painted in 'non-blue',
like 'Hazard Yellow' or 'Barbie Pink' ! In fact, it may be
worth checking 'The Oscilloscope Store' on e-bay stores;
Sometimes there are things like front panels, side panels
and various parted-out hardware. I got some of those
'shiny rods' used on plug-ins from him.
FWIW
Tim P

> G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the
tinting
> mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes
have
that
> batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a
freshen
up.
> I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
> handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up.
Any
ideas ?
> CRO-TEK
> paul.doyle@

Paul,

Look for Azure Blue at your paint store. Let me tell you that I
could never get a good match repainting side panels and covers,
ended
up painting the whole effing thing. Unless you have one of the
really old jobs with the crinkle texture, ouch! I could never get
blend.

I'd say, change colors for the love of art for art's sake.
Fashionistas are saying brilliant and bold colors are back in
popularity, my personal favorites are International Orange, Haze
Gray, and Olive Drab.

The Tek PN for a 12 oz can of the spray paint was 013-0092-00 or
something like that.

Joe Rooney

Reed Dickinson

The industry name for the Tektronix blue paint is Williamsburg Blue. It can be formulated at many paint stores by just giving them that name.

Reed Dickinson

> G'day, I am in need of the correct colour blue paint or the tinting
> mix information for Tektronix scopes. Most of my Tek scopes have that
> batted look from being moved around a lot and in need of a freshen up.
> I have panel beaten the dents, cleaned the cases, repaired the
> handles, but the scratched paintwork needs to be touched up. Any ideas ?
> CRO-TEK
> paul.doyle@gmail.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3846 (20090211) __________

http://www.eset.com

cmbath

I have repainted one case before. I got the paint mixed up at an
automotive paint store that I gave a painted sample to match the
paint. Most automotive paint stores will not do a colour match
unless they know the type of car and paint code. These guys have a
relationship with a private person who does the paint matching. I
striped all the paint off the unit and used a spray gun to re-paint.
The time consuming part was the paint removal. The finished product
was like brand new and the colour was very close but not perfect.
The only thing I would do if I had to do it again would be to
specify a mat finish for the paint (the paint was a little glossy).

I don't know what type of paint Tektronix uses for its cases and
there are heaps of different types of paints available. Even in
automotive paints there are all different types and qualities. The
paint I used would have been an acrylic lacquer. From experience
with painting cars I have found the quality of the paints to vary
considerably i.e. notability in application some paints do not end
up with a good finish. I spoke to an automotive paint supplier
recently who showed me his variety of paints (hundreds of different
varieties).

As to touching up the cases, the same applies to cars. It is very
hard to do but not impossible. Again the paint would be sprayed on
with a spray gun and then blending thinners sprayed over the area to
get the paint to blend in. To do this you would have to have a near
perfect match on the colour and the type of paint used. Not really
worth it for a case.

If you are interested the place I got the paint mixed was Sparts at
Forestville in Sydney. Don't go to Auto One or stores like these.
Their paint is cheap and you will have to buff the finished product
back (very hard to do on a panel). Try to go to a supplier who is
supplying smash repairers. Most will not match the colour. Good
paints can cost up to $120/L AU.

It would be really good if someone knew what type of paint was used
by Tektronix and the formula. Surely they still must require this
paint for some of the equipment they are selling.

Chris

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

It would be really good if someone knew what type of paint was used
by Tektronix and the formula. Surely they still must require this
paint for some of the equipment they are selling.
This has kind of been done to death in the archives on several occasions.
Here's the information repeated:

Supplied by Tek, can date 5/14/04
=================================
Main label is Omni-Pak, MasterBlend EZ Touch. The superior solvent blend to
be used with Enamels, Lacquers, Vinyls, Acrylics. Adjustable Spray Pattern
DV16. Comes from Sherwin-Williams

There is a stuck-on label which says L61 OPEX Lacquer, L61XXL42, Tek Blue.
Portland commercial #4383. To reorder (503) 24909822.

Basically, the cans initially just contain solvent and propellant - and that
is the Sherwin-Williams product. The coloured solids are then injected into
the can through the spray stem by whoever has the phone number (503)
24909822.

I got a couple of cans sent to the UK from the States, and then kicked up a
fuss because they wanted a fortune in shipping as a result of 9/11.

Anyhow, I found a company here in the UK, and sent them a piece of aluminium
that I sprayed with the above Tek paint. They matched both the colour and
the matt-ness. I posted to the list back in 04 that I could supply this
stuff to Tek afficionados in the UK, and got practically zero response - I
think two people maximum bought a couple of cans each.

I really don't mind - I bought a job lot for my own use, and all my Tek gear
looks brand new. And since all this was back in 04 they have probably
junked the formulation anyway.

For information, you don't need to strip back to metal. You can either
stick the panels in the dishwasher - the aggressive washer soap etches the
surface nicely to receive the paint. Or scrub it with domestic cream
cleaner with bleach. Before spraying wipe it over with some thinner for the
paint you are using, or alternatively cellulose thinners, toluene etc.
Never had a single problem using either technique.

Craig

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Sawyers" <c.sawyers@...>
wrote:

[...]

---------------------
Here's another Tek original 12 oz touch up spray can ...
Tek P/N: 252-0092-00 and the label says:

tartan
heavy duty coatings
TEK BLUE
FULLER 170-K-26
91-579
RUDD COMPANY INC., SEATTLE WASHINGTON

/HÃ¥kan

mikenearlibertymo

I simply take whatever I want to match to the local Sherman Williams
store and have them match it. I buy a quart, and spray it with a
standard touchup gun. Do the same with BA radios that need it.

Fifteen or 20 bucks, and I have a lifetime supply.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

I simply take whatever I want to match to the local Sherman Williams
store and have them match it. I buy a quart, and spray it with a
standard touchup gun. Do the same with BA radios that need it.

Fifteen or 20 bucks, and I have a lifetime supply.
Um - yes. And my nearest Sherwin Williams store is 4,000 miles away, and
further for those listers in Australia, South Africa, Chile...which is why
everyone not American on the list who wants some Tek matching paint has to
go through umpteen hoops to get something that matches.

Craig

stefan_trethan

Would it not be possible to buy a few different cans of paint and do
the color matching oneself? I mean with a couple of disposeable
syringes it should not be impossible to gradually zero in on the right
color mix?

I've mostly decided to accept the scars of my test gear as part of it's history.

ST

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Craig Sawyers
<c.sawyers@tech-enterprise.com> wrote:
Um - yes. And my nearest Sherwin Williams store is 4,000 miles away, and
further for those listers in Australia, South Africa, Chile...which is why
everyone not American on the list who wants some Tek matching paint has to
go through umpteen hoops to get something that matches.

Craig

Stan & Patricia Griffiths

Here is my story on Tek Blue paint. Tektronix had it mixed by
Sherwin-Williams Co., 5640 N.E. Skyport Way, Portland, OR (zip?) Phone:
503-249-0222. I get it in spray cans directly from them, 24 cans minimum
order, and I sell it via my Parts Store for $15 per can plus shipping.
http://www.reprise.com/ash/clients2/Parts_Shop/misc.html Unfortunately,
the US Post Office will not take pressure cans via air mail and they have
discontinued surface mail overseas so I cannot ship it out of the U.S. If
you can find some way to get it from a U.S. based location to you, I can
ship it within the U.S.

By the way, the blue paint formula has never been released to me so I can't
share it with you. You now have Sherwin-Williams address and phone number
so maybe you can get that info directly from them. I order the paint by
description "Tek Blue lacquer". I believe Craig Sawyers has had some made
locally in the U.K. so you might be able to buy some from him and maybe he
does not have the same shipping restrictions that I have.

The earlier "blue wrinkle" paint is a slightly different shade and touching
it up with the newer color does not work well. What I do is lightly spray
the entire cabinet with the new color and only a real expert can tell the
difference. When ever I paint a Tek cabinet of any kind, I clean it very
well by washing it with detergent and water, and then make sure it is
cleaned again with a paper towel dampened in lacquer thinner. This gets rid
of anything the new paint will not stick to such as grease pencils and glue
from old calibration stickers. It also slightly etches the surface so the
new paint will stick better. If the lacquer thinner doesn't get rid of the
glue, a little bit of trichloroethylene seems to do it.

Since I am into restoring really early Tek instruments, I also wanted a
supply of "Tek Brown" and I had Sherwin-Williams make up a bunch of spray
cans of that for me too. I have a few of those for sale for $15 plus
shipping also, U.S. only.

Stan

_____

[...]

BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxOTEyNDcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzM3MDg1
BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDMyNjQ2OAR0cGNJZAMzNzA4Mw--> Messages
in this topic (3)
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxOTEyNDcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzM3MDg1BHNlYwNmd
HIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDMyNjQ2OA--?act=reply&messageNum=37085> Reply
(via web post) |
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbDdudjFnBF9TAzk3M
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxOTEyNDcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc
3RpbWUDMTIzNDMyNjQ2OA--> Start a new topic

Reed Dickinson

Hi Gang:

I am enclosing the formula for the Williamsburg Blue paint that Tek used on their 4XX series of scopes as well as some others.

Y = ounces
48 points = 1 ounce

I am not too sure what all these numbers mean, perhaps the people in the paint store can decipher it. This is what was on the label after I had my local paint store mix up a batch. It matched perfectly too. I use enamel as lacquer over enamel can pucker up where enamel on lacquer is no problem. I carefully clean all dirt, sticker residue and any other blemishes from the case, lightly sand the entire surface and spray two light coats on the case with a light sanding between coats. I paint the plastic parts too using the same procedure.

B 4Y22 Black
C 33 Yellow Oxide
D 1Y29 Green
W 1Y32 White