Type 519 Gigahertz scope; Smithsonian?

Ashton Brown <ashton@...>

Heh..

You rang?

My first accelerator was the 340 MeV electron synchrotron (LBL). (Ed McMillan's baby.) On its retirement, the Smithsonian wanted to make a display of an "atom smasher". [Wood mockup of the heavy magnets, etc]. I borrowed a friend's Ampex then-prof. tape recorder to make an audio tape of the thump-thump noises of magnetostriction at 6 pps. They played this for some years, I'm told..

When I went by the Institution for usual reasons, I inquired about the 340 MeV. Exhibit long since mothballed :(
Don't suppose anyone -here- ever saw it ?? {sniff} (You'd remember the thumps, I wot)

But surprisingly.. on my enquiry, soon came along a umm researcher? Elevator; then led me through a maze of corridors Upstairs. Ha! - the Executive john at last..
He Wanted to Know about "operations", anecdotes and such (can you imagine? - decades after demise). Thought he was putting moi on .. but no .. He Was Taking Notes! er, cha cha cha

Anyway, I saw that I didn't 'understand' their MO / attitudes towards their stuff! And I still don't, but -- I hope that you approach someone there re first, a small education about the Old Tek; its [yes, perhaps] Uniqueness: the Standard of the World, and all over that world - in this niche, for a long time. And unlike all current bizness: maybe the last to earn State-of-Art in All Products, as appellation [?]

Our bias aside - I can't think of another mere 'Company' with such a heritage. I think many of the young can't imagine that there Was such a US Company, given their current bean-counter experience of that milieu.
(Just contrast the quite polarized "impression made by er 'Windows'" - also spread all over a different world, VS: Tek. QED)

Ashton
20 mins of Celebrity-time :-�

Stan & Patricia Griffiths wrote:

I have to admit that my last trip to the Smithsonian was about 30 years ago,
but at that time I did not see a SINGLE Tek scope on display there. Has
anyone here made a more recent trip and seen ANY Tek instruments in the
Smithsonian? I have actually thought about leaving my collection to the
Smithsonian but I have no indication what so ever that they would appreciate
it, even slightly.

I, however, have personally been on display in the Smithsonian! Yes, during
that trip, I went by the display of an operating ham station and noticed an
open operating position. I showed my license and was permitted to operate
the cw station that was on display there so I, personally, was a part of the
"live" display of ham radio.

They may not have a Tek scope for display, but they did, for a few hours,
have the one and only Stan Griffiths on display!

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com