GPIB PIC - sligthly off topic

Denis Cobley <denis.cobley@...>

Hi all
Does anyone have any info / design / product for a GPIB to DIO or PIC microcontroller ?
I want to build a GPIB controlled 8 port switch similar to the HP relay actuator but with a micro instead of glue logic.
This will be used as part of an in house ATE system we are putting together.
I found lots on RS232, USB and similar but nothing on GPIB.
Any links or info appreciated.
I will send some Tek manuals on CD as payment for the best / most complete answers (parts list / code/ diagrams).
You nominate which 10 manuals you want (assuming I have them - 400,2200,2400,TDS, - no valve stuff)
Regards
Denis Cobley

Elbicon mfg co <elbicon@...>

Hello Denis,

It is of course possible to make such a project work ,
However I myself invested quite a lot of time in underdstanding the GPIB interface , it is easy and difficult at the same time ...
I gathered a pile of some 10 cm copys of articles explaining of building examples for GPIB interfaces , found most of them on the www but the best information is in some of the older TEK manuals such as 7D20 .
If you only want to build one direction (listener) it is even quite feasible , you could also search for the datasheet of the interface chips (gpib line drivers ) DS75160 and DS75161 , and there are also some dedicated processors available with all the appropriate instructions to work with a 8051 type of controller .
From all this you could learn enough to even make it work with a PIC ...the trouble is the correct timing of the three handschakelines is quite important to make it work.
I even started once programming , and then in a bad mood deleted all the stuff and put the paperwork in the fireplace ...
I do really think you better buy a second hand dedicated interface , I do use a HP8954A , it has everything you'd ever like to have , very nice DC-18 GHz switches , 16 reeds relays , and even 16 TTL outs etc and a very easy control language.

Regards and anyway good luck with the project,
Erik Paret

Does anyone have any info / design / product for a GPIB to DIO or PIC microcontroller ?
I want to build a GPIB controlled 8 port switch similar to the HP relay actuator but with a micro instead of glue logic.
This will be used as part of an in house ATE system we are putting together.
I found lots on RS232, USB and similar but nothing on GPIB.
Any links or info appreciated.
I will send some Tek manuals on CD as payment for the best / most complete answers (parts list / code/ diagrams).
You nominate which 10 manuals you want (assuming I have them - 400,2200,2400,TDS, - no valve stuff)
Regards
Denis Cobley

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann@yahoo.com>

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Cobley" <denis.cobley@n...>
wrote:
Hi all
Does anyone have any info / design / product for a GPIB to DIO or
PIC microcontroller ?
I want to build a GPIB controlled 8 port switch similar to the HP
relay actuator but with a micro instead of glue logic.
This will be used as part of an in house ATE system we are putting
together.
I found lots on RS232, USB and similar but nothing on GPIB.
Any links or info appreciated.
I will send some Tek manuals on CD as payment for the best / most
complete answers (parts list / code/ diagrams).
You nominate which 10 manuals you want (assuming I have them -
400,2200,2400,TDS, - no valve stuff)

I've got a book about GPIB that I bought 22 years ago (Piotrowski:
"IEC-Bus", Franzis-Verlag 1982). It is in German, unfortunately, but
it contains sufficient info for doing what you attempt to do. Many of
the chips mentioned teherein are now obsolete, but you should still be
able to get going. If the language is not too big an obstacle.

Cheers
Stefan