Any way to clean...?


Bruce Lane
 

Does anyone know of a way to clean the (apparently sealed) pots on the front panel of a 7000 series?

My 7104 works great, but the intensity and focus pots are noisy as sin. Is it just a case of working them back and forth until they clear up or what?

Thanks much.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"


Jeff W <vwthingy@...>
 

Bruce wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to clean the (apparently sealed)
pots on the front panel of a 7000 series?

I have found that the cycling them results in a very temporary fix.
I have become pretty good with taking apart these pots, cleaning
them, and putting them back together. In the past, I used to just
collect the excess grease and recycle it, but I recently picked up a
couple tubes of Electrolube contact oil to try out.

Jeff


Miroslav Pokorni
 

Your experience with Electrolube would be of great interest, I daresay, for
group as a whole. In particular, over long term, say six months or longer.

My experience with those 'miracle lubricants' has been that they are snake
oil and that includes Caig Lab. I tried their DeoxIT with very indifferent
results, improvement lasted a week or so and it was back to where I started.
Then, I tried Caig's 'R5 Power Booster', with similar results. You must have
heard of Caig's 'battery challenge', apply R5 to an old flash light and
'watch it come back to life'. I applied it to a new flash light that would
go dim after a while and when you pull batteries out and re-insert them, the
light works fine for a week or so. I tried R5, pulled batteries out, cleaned
all surfaces (batteries and contacts) with R5, few times each, re-assembled
the flash light and in a week I was where I started. After few tries with
R5, I substituted water for R5, with same results. Than I did not use any
'cleaner', just rubbed batteries and contacts with dry cloth and again light
lasted a week or so, so buying DeoxIT or R5 was a waste of money and effort.

I recognize that rubbing surfaces (pots, connectors, switches etc.) need a
lubricant to reduce wear and smooth operation, but those promised miracles
just appear to be snake oils.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff W" <vwthingy@cox.net>
To: <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 9:58 PM
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: Any way to clean...?


Bruce wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to clean the (apparently sealed)
pots on the front panel of a 7000 series?

I have found that the cycling them results in a very temporary fix.
I have become pretty good with taking apart these pots, cleaning
them, and putting them back together. In the past, I used to just
collect the excess grease and recycle it, but I recently picked up a
couple tubes of Electrolube contact oil to try out.

Jeff


Jeff W <vwthingy@...>
 

Miroslav Pokorni wrote:
Your experience with Electrolube would be of great interest, I
daresay, for
group as a whole. In particular, over long term, say six months or
longer.

My experience with those 'miracle lubricants' has been that they
are snake
oil and that includes Caig Lab.
I generally have not used DeOxit on front panel pots; only trimmers.
It seems to work OK, and for a long time on trimmers. I had a noisy
trimmer in the attenuator of a 2235 scope that I sprayed with DeOxit
a year ago. I just went out to the lab (fancy name for the garage) ;
I opened up the scope and varied the trimmer and it works fine.

For panel pots, I take them apart and clean them. Denis Cobley
recommended the Electrolube contact oil to the group back in May, but
since I bought a couple tubes, (From Echelon here in SoCal) I haven't
used it on any pots yet. Denis also recommended a gizmo that screws
onto the threads and injects the oil into the pot to get around
taking it apart. This won't work on many of the pots that Tek used,
as I find some of them have an O-ring seal around the shaft base.

Next time I take apart a pot I'll report back the findings.....

Jeff


Miroslav Pokorni
 

I generally have not used DeOxit on front panel pots; only trimmers.
It seems to work OK, and for a long time on trimmers. I had a noisy
trimmer in the attenuator of a 2235 scope that I sprayed with DeOxit
a year ago. I just went out to the lab (fancy name for the garage) ;
I opened up the scope and varied the trimmer and it works fine.
My guess is that any kind of spray would work, it just washes off dirt and
with trimmers lubrication is not an issue, you hardly ever move them and if
solvent washes of lubricant there is nothing to hold dust to the pot. When I
needed to clean a pot, I used freeze spray (from CRC), and worked like charm
and there was no residue left.


For panel pots, I take them apart and clean them. Denis Cobley
recommended the Electrolube contact oil to the group back in May, but
since I bought a couple tubes, (From Echelon here in SoCal) I haven't
used it on any pots yet. Denis also recommended a gizmo that screws
onto the threads and injects the oil into the pot to get around
taking it apart. This won't work on many of the pots that Tek used,
as I find some of them have an O-ring seal around the shaft base.

It is a bitch to grow old and forgetfull. When you said gizmo, that reminded
me of what Denis recomended.

Actually, some of pots of lesser quality than ones used by Tektronix also
have O-ring on the shaft.