2215

aakmoe <aakmoe@...>

HELLO ALL

what do you think of 2215 scope.Is it 60Mhz any more information?
How does it compare to 465 series.

thanks

AKM

Jeff W <vwthingy@...>

aakmoe wrote:

what do you think of 2215 scope.Is it 60Mhz any more information?
How does it compare to 465 series.
The 2215 (& 2213) were Tek's first foray into cheapie scopes. And
they made one, by gosh! They had a horrible power supply that used a
complex triac prereg scheme with current sensing, which didn't work
well & caused a loud 60Hz buzz from the smoothing choke. Tek
realized they screwed up, and released a modification kit that
replaced the prereg with a PWM switcher; a much better scheme. If
you are looking to buy a 2215, make sure it has this kit, or you will
think something is wrong with the scope from the loud buzzing noise
it will make. (the kit is no longer available)

I have a 2215 that I will sell really cheap, as it doesn't have this
kit :)

Yes; they are 60 Mhz bandwidth, but just that. I have worked on two
2215's, and both units barely met it, whereas most other Tek scopes
are rated more conservatively.

The 465 (especially a 465B) is a much better scope. You must keep in
mind that when the 2215 came out in 1982, it sold for $ 1,400, versus
the 465B which sold for $ 2,995 at that time. Bottom line: the 2215
sold for less than half the price of a 465B in 1982, it is less of a
scope then as now performance-wise, and usually sells for less today.

The only good thing about a 2215 is that it is fairly easy to work
on. Also, please keep in mind that the 2215A is better than the
2215; it uses the same mainboard & CRT as the 2235. (I had a 2215A
once and it was a nice little scope)

Jeff

aakmoe <aakmoe@...>

Thanks Jeff

I saw one on uk ebay and I was wondering about it.
I have a 465B but I am thinking of getting a smaller & lighter scope.

I mean another one and may be ship back to Burma(Myanmar) so that I
can use when I go home on holiday.
Shipping costs from uk to Burma cost as much as a scope.

I am only a hobbyist and there don't have the full knowledge of
various models of tek scopes.
Scopes are really scarce in Burma outside the service centres and
government establishments.

Aung Moe

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff W" <vwthingy@c...> wrote:
aakmoe wrote:

[...]

Miroslav Pokorni

Do not think that Burma gets special treatment in shipping. It is just as
expensive to ship something from Europe/UK over to the States. Perhaps, hand
carrying the scope (as carry on-board luggage), when you go to the next
vacation might prove cheaper than to ship and certainly much better for the
health of the instrument.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

It is just as
expensive to ship something from Europe/UK over to the States.
It is horribly expensive to send stuff from the UK to the US. Taking a 30lb
package as a for instance, USPS tells me that this is $107 air parcel, and
$66 surface. The same weight by Royal Mail costs the same numbers in UK
pounds - �107 and �72 respectively. IOW it is 84% more expensive to ship
from the UK to the USA as it is in the other direction (on today's exchange
rate).

Craig

PS just been fighting another capacitor death problem. This time a shorted
tant in a Racal true RMS voltmeter. Took out the +15V reg too and a couple
of resistors. Tant was 47u 16V, on a 15V line. Posts to the list from
Miroslav indicates that this is sailing *very* close to the wind - so I'll
be changing out all dozen or so of these beasts now.

Racal volmeter is very interesting. Goes from 10kHz to 1.5GHz at 1mV full
scale max sensitivity. Does it with a random sampling probe, then analog
computer to calculate rms (squarer, integrator, log, halve then anti-log to
get square root). Accuracy 1% to 500MHz and 5% to 1.5GHz.