What's the best manual?

Stan & Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Tek no longer sells microfiche individually or by subscription. They MAY
have kept one set for their own use . . . and they may have tossed the LAST
set into the dumpster . . .

Tek Service Centers used microfiche and I don't know of any of them that had
the ability to convert the images to hard copy. Each technician's bench had
a microfiche reader on it (just like my own bench does now) and the Service
Center had one or two sets of microfiche that the entire technician crew
shared. There were a few microfiche readers at the main plant in Beaverton
that could make hard copies on terrible dry silver paper that turned brown
and faded out. Awful stuff.

Our local library has microfiche readers that can read either fiche sheets
or 35mm filmed images and convert any image to hard copy on excellent copy
paper similar to what you use in your own laserjet printer. It costs 10
cents per image to do prints and I sometimes use that service.

I generally use manuals from my vast archive of manuals since they are more
pleasant to use. The microfiche is my backup if I suspect the manual I am
using does not have the latest data in it or I need to know something about
the modifications that have been performed on an instrument.

I have had access to THOUSANDS of Tek manuals over the past ten years or so.
I can only keep one or two copies of each manual since just these take up
about 25 file cabinet drawers of space. The rest have been sold mostly on
eBay. In deciding specifically WHICH copy of a manual I will keep in my
archives, I always select the one with the best and latest information in it
rather than one that may be in better physical condition. I have the
ability to take these manuals apart and replace the often broken plastic
comb binders and/or damaged covers. I found a comb binding machine in an
estate sale CHEAP and could not resist it . . .

One way to tell which manual has the best data out of a stack of several for
the same instrument is to compare the serial number info found on the inside
front cover, the serial number info found on the manual inserts in the rear
of the manual, or the serial number info found in the Electrical and
Mechanical Parts Lists in the manual. There is also an elaborate system of
date-coding schematic diagrams generally found on the bottm-center of each
schematic diagram. Some of them will have actual dates (usually in the
lower right corner of the schematic) and others have date-codes like "A" or
"B" (which obviously was drawn or modified after the "A" version . . . )
Sometimes they will say "B1" or "CA". As far as I know, there were no set
rules about how these date codes were used and it appears to have been left
up to the schematic draftsmen to decide for themselves . . .

I still get access to batches of manuals at local estate sales so keep
looking at my eBay sales for my spares.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com