475 instead of 475A?

tss_steve_990

Thank you all who helped with the serial number mystery.
Since I last posted I came to the realization that the 475 had
2mv/div sensitivity instead of the 5mv/div of the 475A. Since my
primary work is with professional audio equipment where we are
looking at low level signals (power supply noise, and subtle
oscillations, for example) I've come to the conclusion that I should
be looking for a used, late model, pristine condition 475 instead of
the 475A. I have found our that on 475's that SN of B-250000 and
upwards are 1977 vintage or newer according to the front page of a
1977 Revision 475 service manual CD being offered on ebay.

I've already searched for posts on 475 updates, so I know what to
look for re: the rectier, power resistor and PSU capacitor. Are
there any warnings that you guys can offer re: my direction to pursue
a 475 instead of the 475A?

Thanks for your input!

Steve

eboytoronto

Hi,
If you are really interested in looking at low level signals you may want to consider the 7603 mainframe and a 7A22 vertical plugin.

The 7A22 has a sensitivity of 10uV /div and has built in high and low pass filters. The maximum bandwidth is limited to 1MHz. The differential input will allow you to look at ballanced as well as unbalanced signals. It is well suited for audio work.

A 7A26 vertical amplifier can be added for two channels of vertical with 100MHz of bandwidth.

A 7B53 dual timebase completes the configuration.

The scope is bigger and heavier than the 475 but the performance is increased.

The 7000 series is available quite cheaply.

I am not sure if some of the 475s had nuvisters, whereas the 475As are all solid state. I am sure other members of the group can comment on this.

Regards,

John Barnes

From: "tss_steve_990" <stevehogan@soundsteward.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:06:56 -0000

[...]

Ashton Brown <ashton@...>

Hello Steve,

Couple comments - BTW I have had a 475A SN B025698 for several years. Rock solid except.. for a need to retighten the BNC input mount nuts and look for bad connections at AC--GND--DC input switch. Doesn't get a lot of use, but so far turns on and just runs.

Since you mention audio - have you considered a clean 454A? larger screen than 453,4; 2mV/DIV - a usually conservative 150 MHz, as I've measured to near 200 on a couple. It has the fine trace-width which the 46x, 47x CRTs cannot equal and overall (and IMhO) built to better standards than that later series. In any of these cases - you're likely to need to pay attention to the filter caps, using an ESR meter - like the small IC-based box made by an Australian company (kit form even). I built it; it works -- and you can't really test w/out it, only guess or R&R blindly.

I admit a prejudice for the 454A especially - you really Can see the tiny wiggles on that ultra-sharp trace.. and they are not artifacts of the scope - particularly useful to filter-designers I am told - estimating the remaining octave-band noise for various designs with wonderful Russian names.

Ashton

tss_steve_990 wrote:

[...]

Miroslav Pokorni

If this gain of 2.5 times means so much to you, I believe that on 475 you
can loop channel A to B and get double gain. I believe that gain was
purposely reduced so that additional bandwidth does not show extra noise. In
audio business you can always use built in 20 MHz filter and avoid noise
that is of no concern for audio.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni