Topics

Oscilloscope Operator Training Kit - TNGTDS01

Does anyone have any information about the availability of this Tektronix training kit or details of the specialized signal generating circuit board referred to in the manual as "Training 1 Signal Board."?

After a long search I have just acquired a TDS3052B digital scope; however, it seems only very distantly related to my 465 that it might ultimately replace. I have a pdf copy of the Tek 071-1051-01 manual that accompanies this kit, thanks to the Tektronix web site, but feel that the Training 1 Signal Board might quicken the get acquainted process.

I first encountered the 465 about 1970. We were preparing to order a Sony/Tektronix scope when our Tektronix rep asked us to hold off for a month because a Tek was preparing to introduce a revolutionary new scope that turned out to be the 465. About 20 years ago I was able to buy a 465 for hobby use, at an affordable price.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Egge Siert

Hi Bruce,

This is the Kit. One Board and a set of Instructions to 4 TDS-Series. Pops up regularly on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-Oscilloscope-Operator-Training-Kit/174309399573?hash=item2895a65c15:g:pSkAAOSwZbde3PBY

Succes with your hunting,

Egge Siert

Thanks Egge,
I searched eBay for Tek TNGTDS01, but did not think of searching for "Operator Training Kit."

It also occurred to me that a member of the group might have one of these kits they might be willing to loan, rent, or sell.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Roy Thistle

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM, ebrucehunter wrote:

TDS3052B digital scope; however, it seems only very distantly related to my
465 that it might ultimately replace
Well... I'd claim the TDS2052B "trace" it is closer to the 465... than many other Tektronix DSO. (You've got the so called digital phosphor.)
Anyway... the signals the "Training 1 Signal Board" put out are described in Appendix A of the document you quoted.
Are you planing to work on modern digital systems? ... because you mention you are/were using a 465.

Roy,
Thanks,
Thanks; looking in the appendix; I see there's a comprehensive description of the generated signals included there.  While the 465 is a great scope,I am looking forward to the increased bandwidth and digital displays of frequency, voltage, and timing offered by digital models.  My expected applications will include both analog and digital signals.  Although most of the test signals provided by the training board can be quickly generated with instruments on the bench, the Tek training module seems to provide a rapid, and rather complete, introduction to these DPOs for folks like me that spent the latter portion of their career in administrative, rather than technical positions.
Bruce, KG6OJI

Brian

Only available training board i know of.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY8LJA2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3PQoFb224SN58
On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 7:37 PM, ebrucehunter via groups.io<Brucekareen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote: Roy,
Thanks,
Thanks; looking in the appendix; I see there's a comprehensive description of the generated signals included there.  While the 465 is a great scope,I am looking forward to the increased bandwidth and digital displays of frequency, voltage, and timing offered by digital models.  My expected applications will include both analog and digital signals.  Although most of the test signals provided by the training board can be quickly generated with instruments on the bench, the Tek training module seems to provide a rapid, and rather complete, introduction to these DPOs for folks like me that spent the latter portion of their career in administrative, rather than technical positions.
Bruce, KG6OJI

Thanks Brian.

Searching online for information on the Velleman boards, I see that Jameco https://www.jameco.com/z/EDU06-Velleman-Oscilloscope-Tutor-Kit_2175568.html offers them for $29.99 .  Although inexpensive, the signals these boards generate are generally available from instruments on the bench top.  My interest in the Tektronix board is for the glitched signals it offers as a way to demonstrate the capture and storage capabilities of these DSOs for catching transient waveforms.  I have never owned a storage scope before, but on several occasions could sure have used one.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Richard in Edenton NC

FYI the Amazon and Jameco are the same board. Thanks for sharing this with us. I ordered one to play with.

73 Richard W4MCD

Harvey White

One good source for glitches is to use a 7490 counter to drive a 1 of 10 decoder,  I think a 7442.  The decoding logic does not have a time equivalent path, and the 7490 is not synchronous.

Harvey

On 8/19/2020 1:18 PM, ebrucehunter via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Brian.

Searching online for information on the Velleman boards, I see that Jameco https://www.jameco.com/z/EDU06-Velleman-Oscilloscope-Tutor-Kit_2175568.html offers them for $29.99 .  Although inexpensive, the signals these boards generate are generally available from instruments on the bench top.  My interest in the Tektronix board is for the glitched signals it offers as a way to demonstrate the capture and storage capabilities of these DSOs for catching transient waveforms.  I have never owned a storage scope before, but on several occasions could sure have used one.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Thanks for the idea on generating glitches Harvey,
I have been working through the Tek TDS3 Training Manual using bench generators.  An HP 3314A function generator has proven helpful for generating irregular waveforms -- but I had to re-learn how to operate it.  Next I'm going to try a noise generator to see if the scope will capture single frames.
I built a 100 kHz? EICO 425k in my teens, graduated to a Dumont 2 MHz scope; then to an 18 MHz, 75-pound, 500-watt, Tek 513; followed by a 100 MHz 465; and finally to this 500 MHz (and quite sensitive) TDS3052B.  My head is still spinning from the myriad of features found in these "digital phosphor" scopes.
Bruce, KG6OJI