Topics

7603

Stephen

I was wondering about this the other day... many times I see people write something like: “My venerable and trusted 7603”, or some along those lines. And I‘ve come across this kind of comments quite numerous times. Why is that? Why does it seems to be more popular than a 7623? Is it because of the bigger screen? Is it because back in the day it was perhaps cheaper, and therefore more people opted for it instead of the one with “storage”? I’ve never had a 7603, but I do have a 7623 (not A), that I really like, and that is always on my bench despite the smaller screen.

Bill Perkins

I lately read that the 7603 was sold in -vast- numbers, maybe that's a clue.
I'm replacing a venerable R5113 dual beam, split screen storage mainframe I bought new in the late '70s with one and picking up a 7934 to drive around on a scope cart.
For me, that means 7K plug-ins throughout the lab and the 5K box on an assembly bench.

Bill

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 09:29 AM, Bill Perkins wrote:

I lately read that the 7603 was sold in -vast- numbers, maybe that's a
clue.
That’s what I suspected.

I'm replacing a venerable R5113 dual beam, split screen storage
mainframe I bought new in the late '70s with one and picking up a 7934
to drive around on a scope cart.
For me, that means 7K plug-ins throughout the lab and the 5K box on an
assembly bench.

Bill
Nice!

Dave Casey

Speaking of 7603s, I have a couple to get rid of in the Dallas, TX area if
anybody nearby is interested in one. Mostly working though I wouldn't be
surprised if there's some extra power supply ripple.
Message me off list with any interest.

Dave Casey

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Stephen <stephen.nabet@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 09:29 AM, Bill Perkins wrote:

I lately read that the 7603 was sold in -vast- numbers, maybe
that's a
clue.
That’s what I suspected.

I'm replacing a venerable R5113 dual beam, split screen storage
mainframe I bought new in the late '70s with one and picking up a 7934
to drive around on a scope cart.
For me, that means 7K plug-ins throughout the lab and the 5K box
on an
assembly bench.

Bill
Nice!

Harvey White

Let's see (opinions only)

1) the 100 Mhz bandwidth is adequate for a lot of projects unless you go for maximum bandwidth (if you can).

2) the plugins that do not require more than 100 Mhz bandwidth are significantly cheaper.

3) large screen is good (all other options aside)

4) CHEAP is GOOD!  (ask your boss).

5) increased market share (see #4 and #1 and #2) means more production,  hence more available

6) Storage was more expensive, and most people didn't see why you need it.

7) did I mention less expensive?

Harvey

On 7/12/2020 4:15 PM, Stephen wrote:
I was wondering about this the other day... many times I see people write something like: “My venerable and trusted 7603”, or some along those lines. And I‘ve come across this kind of comments quite numerous times. Why is that? Why does it seems to be more popular than a 7623? Is it because of the bigger screen? Is it because back in the day it was perhaps cheaper, and therefore more people opted for it instead of the one with “storage”? I’ve never had a 7603, but I do have a 7623 (not A), that I really like, and that is always on my bench despite the smaller screen.

Chuck Harris

The 7603 screen is bigger, sharper, and brighter than the
7623 and 7633 storage scopes. The7603 is dead easy to work
on, when compared to the storage scopes.

The military bought gobs and gobs of the 7603's for their
technicians. They even had a ruggedized version made.

The 7633 is very useful for the 7L13, but the 7633 gives a
lot more working space for the 7L5, and 7L18.

I use my 7603 as a base for my 7D20. It is nice!

-Chuck Harris

Harvey White wrote:

[...]

Oz-in-DFW

Note that a large percentage of the Mil 7603s are 7603Ns.

I have a dozen or parts units I need to clean out in the next few months. I'll post here when I unearth them.

David Berlind

I have a Mil 7603 (waiting for inauguration in my lab). If I'm not mistaken, there's no DRO on them (but there's some mod to bring it back)? Also, maybe it's an illusion but the display looked smaller to me before I put it away in storage. Impressive venting!

On July 13, 2020 10:02:33 AM "Oz-in-DFW" <lists@...> wrote:

Note that a large percentage of the Mil 7603s are 7603Ns.

I have a dozen or parts units I need to clean out in the next few months. I'll post here when I unearth them.

Harvey White

IIRC, the 7603N can be converted to the 7603 by adding the readout board.  Individual plugins cannot be N suffix, since that eliminates the readout generation  capability.  I don't ever remember seeing an upgrade for a plugin, just the board for the scope.

Harvey

On 7/13/2020 11:38 AM, David Berlind wrote:
I have a Mil 7603 (waiting for inauguration in my lab). If I'm not mistaken, there's no DRO on them (but there's some mod to bring it back)? Also, maybe it's an illusion but the display looked smaller to me before I put it away in storage. Impressive venting!

On July 13, 2020 10:02:33 AM "Oz-in-DFW" <lists@...> wrote:

Note that a large percentage of the Mil 7603s are 7603Ns.

I have a dozen or parts units I need to clean out in the next few months.  I'll post here when I unearth them.

Dave Daniel

Installing a display board requires that one be able to find all of rhe flat and miniature coax cables needed the connect the display board to the rest of the ‘scope.

I was able to find a display board fairly easily, but it took a couple of years to find all of the cables.

This was for a 7623A.

DaveD

On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:01, Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:

IIRC, the 7603N can be converted to the 7603 by adding the readout board. Individual plugins cannot be N suffix, since that eliminates the readout generation capability. I don't ever remember seeing an upgrade for a plugin, just the board for the scope.

Harvey

On 7/13/2020 11:38 AM, David Berlind wrote:
I have a Mil 7603 (waiting for inauguration in my lab). If I'm not mistaken, there's no DRO on them (but there's some mod to bring it back)? Also, maybe it's an illusion but the display looked smaller to me before I put it away in storage. Impressive venting!

On July 13, 2020 10:02:33 AM "Oz-in-DFW" <lists@...> wrote:

Note that a large percentage of the Mil 7603s are 7603Ns.

I have a dozen or parts units I need to clean out in the next few months. I'll post here when I unearth them.

Stephen

I “upgraded” my 7623 with the LM309K mod described in the manual to provide the regulated 5V needed for the push-button illumination, as this is not a standard factory feature on the 76xx series. I had to make the mount for it as these are impossible to find. Holes where already factory drilled. I used a small TO-3 heat sink which I bent and trimmed to fit. It was a drag to remove the power supply, but it worked out fine.

I find the display to be very sharp, definitely not as bright at lower intensities as other scopes I have. Although it does have a very good reserve of brightness left to it.

Majdi S. Abbas

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 01:15:26PM -0700, Stephen wrote:
I was wondering about this the other day... many times I see people
write something like: “My venerable and trusted 7603”, or some along
those lines. And I‘ve come across this kind of comments quite numerous
times. Why is that? Why does it seems to be more popular than a 7623?
The 7603 was so popular it was produced up until 1992 or so.
As a result, there are a ton of them out there. The ready availability,
lower street price, and larger screen have combined to make it a
favorite.

Of all the scopes that I have, I probably use the 465 and
7603 the most.

--msa

Oz-in-DFW

If you have the actual ruggedized Mil Spec AN/USM 281C they never had
on screen display.  I believe that you can add it, but I do not know if
the space and mounting support is present.  It's possible that some of
the vlume origianlly used for the readout electronics  has been intruded
up on in the *AN/USM 281C.*

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 05:38 AM, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

Of all the scopes that I have, I probably use the 465 and
7603 the most.

--msa
Of all the scopes I have (8 at the moment), the ones I use the most are my 7623 and 466.
The 466 has an amazing display IMHO.

Martin

I wonder why Tek never produced a large screen 4 slot 7000 Scope.

Martin

Am 13.07.2020 um 18:38 schrieb Majdi S. Abbas:

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 01:15:26PM -0700, Stephen wrote:
I was wondering about this the other day... many times I see people
write something like: “My venerable and trusted 7603”, or some along
those lines. And I‘ve come across this kind of comments quite numerous
times. Why is that? Why does it seems to be more popular than a 7623?
The 7603 was so popular it was produced up until 1992 or so.
As a result, there are a ton of them out there. The ready availability,
lower street price, and larger screen have combined to make it a
favorite.

Of all the scopes that I have, I probably use the 465 and
7603 the most.

--msa

Chuck Harris

Once tek got out of the introductory 7504, and other
sub 100MHz models, they boosted the 7000 series 4 slot
frames up to 200MHz minimum.

I don't think they could have achieved a large screen
model CRT at 200MHz and beyond, and kept the same short
CRT length... even with the mesh lens.

I'm sure others have their own ideas about why too.

-Chuck Harris

Martin via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I'll guess at a few things:

1) this was intended for a lower cost market

2) it did have 4 input channels and needed the 7B53 for a timebase, you really didn't need another timebase because of the bandwidth.

3) you had most of the lower bandwidth vertical plugins.

4) I think it would handle most of the plugins up to the 7D20. Not sure about the 7L series.

5) if you wanted higher bandwidth, you could always get a 7S/7T setup

I think there just wasn't any desire for one amongst management, bearing in mind that the higher bandwidth CRTs did tend to have smaller screens, at least. When you looked at the 7704 series, 200 Mhz was likely deemed good enough.

Someone associated with Tektronix might know.  Also consider that the CRT scope was going out of style roughly 1990.

Harvey

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM, Martin wrote:

I wonder why Tek never produced a large screen 4 slot 7000 Scope.

Martin
Marketing, I suppose...

Miguel Work

Large screen is for LF, big mainframes are designed for HF, 400Mhz and more.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM, Martin wrote:

I wonder why Tek never produced a large screen 4 slot 7000 Scope.

Martin
Marketing, I suppose...

ditter2

Ditto on what many have already stated and I will add one I have not seen yet - it only has one horizontal slot. With the dual time bases - 7B53A, the second slot is not really needed for 99+% of my applications, and losing it saves precious bench space..

My primary bench scope is a rack mount 7603, mounted under the shelf on my bench. It is small and takes no actual bench top space, as the space under the scope is available.

- Steve